RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yes, it's anecdotal evidence based on a subgroup of about 20 or so. However, using the same scrutiny this entire board would be invalid. Many years ago, I got a PhD in Music with a minor core in statistics just because I am nerd. While I am aware of a lot of standard principals of statistical analysis, including the ever forgotten B, I do gain knowledge from folks stories. While sometimes I just taking them with a grain of salt, l still realize they have experienced them.
The primary issue that does show up in all of these different discussions is the unwillingness of auto manufactures to share their numbers of failed parts and/or services, heck you can't even get the number of told volume sales.

So, to sum up, I know that on this board probably only once or twice folks complain about the ZF, however the few racing folks (which are mechanically inclined) I have talked with (less than 20) about their "new GM" seems to work in the woes or fears about the transmissions.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,763 Posts
Getting the number of specific units sold takes some effort but it's out there. As for the number associated with different failures, those numbers will (may) only come up if there is an investigation by NHTSA. Even then, you may have to dig through thousands of pages of filings to find an actual number. The car companies don't want the consumer to know the actual number for a few reasons. One, it can hurt future sales of that specific model. Two, if you happen to be driving one of the vehicles, you will want the car company to fix it. Even if you've not had a failure. Three, costs of repairs can greatly out strip the value of the vehicle. Look at the guy that just had his fuel system replaced for gas in the diesel. His total bill was around $17,000 and he caught it before there was any engine damage.

·
Registered
2015 Longhorn 3500 Cummins, 2022 1500 Longhorn ECODiesel
140 Posts
Manufactures keep warranty claims very close and the NTSB only release the number of vehicles that may be affected by any safety recall.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts