RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a brand new eco diesel - need it to haul an enclosed car trailer that weighs about 2,000lbs. Got it hooked up - onto the freeway and had an intermittent shimmy pattern. The steering wheel shook and entire front end. Does anyone have any advice? Similar experience?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Sounds like frt end trouble should get to dealer ASAP . If your truck is0 miles or close to could be quality issue. Could get worse and cause a accident

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,617 Posts
I know the trailer(provided it's empty) isn't heavy enough to cause a light front end. Towed a 3K lbs empty enclosed car hauler with another 300 lbs in the bed in high crosswinds with no issues.
Was it possibly the road surface?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would guess something is loose as well. As mentioned check lug nuts, big bolts, steering components, ect. If it was a bad bearing it would be more frequent and you didn't mention it was occurring when stepping on the brakes so it wouldn't be a brake component.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
How does it handle when not towing. Was it perfect front end wise, no shudder, or shaking. How much tongue weight on the trailer. Lots of things could cause the problem if it was okay when not towing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Funny this thread came up. I had a very similar scenario last week. While towing my empty 16' open car hauler at 65 mph, I had a harmonic vibration that I could feel in the steering wheel and in the seat. The vibration would come and go every 3 or 4 seconds. When I got home, I jacked up the trailer and found the wheel bearings on 2 of the 4 wheels were loose. I have not towed the trailer since, but I believe that was allowing a slight amount of wobble in the trailer tires which was transferred to the truck. I had this same problem with a dual jet ski trailer. Once I repacked the bearings, the vibration went away.

Try to jack up the trailer to see if there is much play in the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Funny this thread came up. I had a very similar scenario last week. While towing my empty 16' open car hauler at 65 mph, I had a harmonic vibration that I could feel in the steering wheel and in the seat. The vibration would come and go every 3 or 4 seconds. When I got home, I jacked up the trailer and found the wheel bearings on 2 of the 4 wheels were loose. I have not towed the trailer since, but I believe that was allowing a slight amount of wobble in the trailer tires which was transferred to the truck. I had this same problem with a dual jet ski trailer. Once I repacked the bearings, the vibration went away.

Try to jack up the trailer to see if there is much play in the wheel bearings.
Wheel bearings ---- maintance maintance maintance! Not first time a different rig up changes every thing , the fact you felt t through the steer wheel is good and bad . Drop the trailer if it goes away good if not to the shop for frt end work.

Huckleberry and jeepinwi welcome and enjoy the forum , there is good info everywhere .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts