RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a Rubicon Ecodiesel 5 weeks ago. Got a fair deal below invoice with a Chrysler Maxcare 8/100 warranty thrown in for $1600.

Very alarming to drive up on the dealer lot and discover that my Jeep was the only new vehicle there. There were a handful of used vehicles, but no new vehicles. The owner greeted me and offered to give my deposit back plus $1000. He is desperate for new inventory and said that if the shortage continues he will be out of business in two months. He then left for a meeting with the Mayor to discuss his and other dealer's current financial plight. This guy looked very stressed and worried. Folks, I fear the pandemic is nothing compared to what is on the horizon.

The sales manager offered KBB $33,600 plus $500 for my 2015 Laramie Ram. It was tempting, but I like and kept my truck. There was not a single truck, new or used on the lot.

Now trying to decide which brand of ECU pixie dust to order for the Wrangler. Ecodiesel of Canada has their dust available and Reckless is developing his.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Great looking Jeep. I'd consider a Galdiator ED to replace my Ram but don't think the wife will let me.

Many dealers around me have limited supply of vehicles on their lots too. I've heard at least one saying that he will be out of inventory by the end of the month with no replenishment date. Once the chips start flowing through the LA docks, things will slowly get back to normal. If you can wait for a new car, they'll be back to giving them away by Christmas. Only dealer that looks like he has plenty of new inventory is the VW dealer.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Ordered a Rubicon Ecodiesel 5 weeks ago. Got a fair deal below invoice with a Chrysler Maxcare 8/100 warranty thrown in for $1600.

Very alarming to drive up on the dealer lot and discover that my Jeep was the only new vehicle there. There were a handful of used vehicles, but no new vehicles. The owner greeted me and offered to give my deposit back plus $1000. He is desperate for new inventory and said that if the shortage continues he will be out of business in two months. He then left for a meeting with the Mayor to discuss his and other dealer's current financial plight. This guy looked very stressed and worried. Folks, I fear the pandemic is nothing compared to what is on the horizon.

The sales manager offered KBB $33,600 plus $500 for my 2015 Laramie Ram. It was tempting, but I like and kept my truck. There was not a single truck, new or used on the lot.

Now trying to decide which brand of ECU pixie dust to order for the Wrangler. Ecodiesel of Canada has their dust available and Reckless is developing his.

View attachment 89711
Hi: Dieselfever... It's amazing how things go when the "Chips are down"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I don't understand, if you can order a new one and have it in 5 months, did the dealership not order any jeeps/trucks themselves months ago? Dealers in my area have lots of trucks, because, you know, they placed orders and planned..

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Typically the local dealers like yours are the good ones, they are involved in the community and do have an interest in having satisfied customers. Hopefully they will get some relief we need these guys, we can be stuck with the greedy mega groups that only answer to the shareholders.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I live next to an AutoMall. All the lots are almost empty. My dealer said he is not getting most of the trucks he has ordered for himself. He said it seems they are prioritizing customer orders over dealer orders.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have heard the same thing @Ransom said. If you are a paying customer they will prioritize your vehicle for production and use what parts they have. This keeps the plant moving (albeit slowly) so they don't have to lay off as many people.

However, dealers used to be able to order vehicles as "sold to customer" and put a random name down and then just stick the vehicle on the lot. Not sure if they can do that anymore or not but if they can it would be beneficial in this situation.

·
Super Moderator
3,647 Posts
Same here dealership could order my sons sold truck but could not order the same truck for his dealership

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't understand, if you can order a new one and have it in 5 months, did the dealership not order any jeeps/trucks themselves months ago? Dealers in my area have lots of trucks, because, you know, they placed orders and planned..
Not 5 months, 5 weeks. They had it built 2 weeks after I ordered. Took 3 weeks to ship.

Yep, what others have said, the manufacturer prioritizes sold orders over dealer orders. They really wanted me to walk away from the order so they could put it on the lot at MSRP plus. There were folks looking at it wanting to buy it when I drove on the lot.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sorry was a typo, I meant 5 weeks.

lol different areas, my local Jeep dealer has 4 new ED Rubicon Wranglers on the lot as we speak and a new ED Gladiator Rubicon as well.

·
Super Moderator
3,647 Posts
They first told Gabe 6 weeks then when ordered found out it had to be a 2022 and that its going to be 8 weeks.

Reactions: justind

·
Registered
2021 Ram 1500 EcoD Laramie 4x4 crew cab ORP w/all the goodies
25 Posts
Awesome looking Rubicon! Is that in green exterior color? I've had countless 4x4s over the years and my 2 Wranglers were by far "out of the box" the best off-road. Had a 6cyl and a 6 in a penstar in the Wranglers and would have really liked the EcoD like you ordered. Enjoy.

Really a bummer about the auto dealer. Given the global supply chain shortage in parts it is probably a systemic issue in the industry particularly with the smaller and more cash strapped dealers. Hopefully we don't loose them like a lot of restaurants and other small business that closed down.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Not 5 months, 5 weeks. They had it built 2 weeks after I ordered. Took 3 weeks to ship.

Yep, what others have said, the manufacturer prioritizes sold orders over dealer orders. They really wanted me to walk away from the order so they could put it on the lot at MSRP plus. There were folks looking at it wanting to buy it when I drove on the lot.
That means they had one on the line that was close enough to your order. They changed out what ever needed to be done and got your's out the door. Lots of manufacturers do it that way. Order comes in and they first look at what's already on the line. I've heard of others being offered a different color at three weeks versus three months for their exact want.

Drove by several dealers last night. Honda has lots of CR-Vs. No cars. Subie, Toyota, Nissan, Chevy dealers are all down to under a dozen new cars. VW dealer has either mixed used cars into their new lat or they have not been effected by the chip shortage.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you can wait for a new car, they'll be back to giving them away by Christmas.
I talked to my dealer last week. Their lot is empty as well. He said they get about 15 Ram Cummins trucks in per month and all are sold within a day or two of delivery. Before COVID, they were selling 30 Ram Cummins per month. All the EcoDiesel Gladiators, Wranglers, and Rams are sold. They said there's no sign that inventory is going to improve over the next few months. There's still a lot of time between now and Christmas, but I have a feeling that lots won't be full by December. It will take several months just to fill dealership lots.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
113 Posts
I went motorcycle shopping a couple of weeks ago, no dealer had more than about 9 new bikes on the floor. The Honda dealer says they are on allotments. Inventory is low on almost everything!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was at the dealer last week to get the upstream NOx sensor replaced. They told me the rumor is the next shortage will be tires. They said the large dealers around Chicago are renting out warehouses and filling them with all the tires they can get in anticipation of a shortage. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy; "there's gonna be a shortage, hoard everything so it looks like there's a shortage!" lol

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Hi: All... I've been part of a shortage all my life. Anything in my size I like, sells out first. Now it's worst!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
That means they had one on the line that was close enough to your order. They changed out what ever needed to be done and got your's out the door. Lots of manufacturers do it that way. Order comes in and they first look at what's already on the line. I've heard of others being offered a different color at three weeks versus three months for their exact want.

Drove by several dealers last night. Honda has lots of CR-Vs. No cars. Subie, Toyota, Nissan, Chevy dealers are all down to under a dozen new cars. VW dealer has either mixed used cars into their new lat or they have not been effected by the chip shortage.
The CRV's are built in Allison, Ontario and they are continuing to pump them out.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I was at the dealer last week to get the upstream NOx sensor replaced. They told me the rumor is the next shortage will be tires. They said the large dealers around Chicago are renting out warehouses and filling them with all the tires they can get in anticipation of a shortage. Maybe it's just me but that seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy; "there's gonna be a shortage, hoard everything so it looks like there's a shortage!" lol
It sounds like a tire shortage has already happened, at least certain models. I've heard two different people tell me they couldn't get tires they wanted due to a nationwide backorder, so they settled for another tire.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts