RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all first would like to say you guys have a great forum here. I have been lurking and reading since before I bought my 2017 EcoD a little more than 2 years ago. My current situation is the dealer is contacting me about wanting my truck asking what they can do to get me in a new truck. I have a test drive tomorrow of the only one they have in stock, anything I should look for/is different from the 2017? Also does anybody know if you can get the 18" rims with the night package? It defaults to the 20s on the builder sight but I can get them if I go with the sport package which looks good too. TIA and sorry I got long, I research the heck out of things prior to pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The 2020 has a new engine design and has more power from the factory, so it should run better than your 17 and feel a bit more refined. Depending on if your 17 was tuned or not. f

With a brand new truck, there isn't much to look for. It should run perfect, just see if you like how it feels. The new changes to the engine are to alleviate issues that you 17 could potentially have. From what I've read the 2020's have been pretty problem free.

As far as the wheels go, if you like everything else about the truck, the dealership might be able to change the wheels later on for you, or you can go with aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The GEN3 ecodiesel according to FCA is 85% changed from the GEN2 ecodiesel that is in the 2017 truck you have. The last of the GEN2 ecodiesels in the Ram 1500's was the 2019 model year Ram 1500 Classic Laramie trucks. From 2020 onward the Ram 1500 trucks use the GEN3 ecodiesel, so there is not much of a track record yet on the new GEN3 ecodiesel.

The 2020 ecodiesel also uses a new EGR system that is supposed to help but some people have said other manufactures have used similar systems and they were not really very good.

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie ecodiesel and I installed the Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune/Trans Tune at about the 1,000 mile mark, I currently have just over 8,000 miles on the truck and I bought it August 2020. I have not had any issues with the truck at all. The Green Diesel Engineering Hot Tune they say adds 30 HP and 60 lbs ft of torque bringing the raw numbers up to 250 HP and 480 lbs ft of torque not accounting for driveline losses.

If you don't have the Green Diesel Engineering Tunes in your 2017 you might be better off keeping that truck and installing the tunes, you will end up with a better running ecodiesel and that would be far cheaper than buying a new truck with a new engine that is 85% different than the GEN2 ecodiesels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I am tuned so I dont know if I'll notice much difference but it doesn't hurt to test drive. I'm just concerned about the EGR recall as everytime I call/ask I'm told parts are backordered and I dont really want my truck to turn into a fireball.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If you have the GDE Hot Tune, you can always delete the EGR cooler. My 2017 has had no issues with the cooler, but I have the CFT block off kit and will delete it at some point. I'm at 100,000 miles, though, so warrantee not a factor.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Test drive it quite a bit. Try different scenarios. Coast down to 40-45 MPH and then dip back into the throttle. See if the horrible lag and sluggishness is there. Do several stops and left hand turns. See if the momentary dead pedal is there. Drive it for a while and make sure you're happy with the completely random results from pressing the throttle pedal. If you can live with that, you'll be OK for a while.

During your first 10k of ownership, keep a close eye on oil levels. Watch for oil leaks. And keep an eye on your CAC hoses. If all is well, you're probably going to be fine long term.

Reactions: HYDREX

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update for you guys, I did go test drive and I didn't get to vary the throttle as much as I wanted but I didn't notice any turbo lag or hesitation. It also rode smoother and quieter than my 2017 Bighorn but that probably had alot to do with being a Laramie. Do you guys with Bighorns like the ride/noise level of the cab? Also I like the reclining rear seats but not sure if that's just a Laramie thing, also I know some like it but I don't care for the 12" screen at all.

·
Registered
2020 Limited ED 3.92 33gal
159 Posts
Just an update for you guys, I did go test drive and I didn't get to vary the throttle as much as I wanted but I didn't notice any turbo lag or hesitation. It also rode smoother and quieter than my 2017 Bighorn but that probably had alot to do with being a Laramie. Do you guys with Bighorns like the ride/noise level of the cab? Also I like the reclining rear seats but not sure if that's just a Laramie thing, also I know some like it but I don't care for the 12" screen at all.
lucky for you, you can do what you like, if your not getting a good deal then you can walk away, take care of your 17 and do the recall when able and you’ll be fine. Either way your choice👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts