RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I realize they now recommend 15K mile fuel filter changes, but I let mine go to just shy of 30K. I replaced it along with the oil and filter (third oil change). I also installed Geno's Garage's brass plug.

The old filter had the appearance of a used "natural brown" coffee filter. No a spec of water in the bowl, but there were very faint traces of some kind of sediment, scarcely visible to the eye. By the way, I did not take a fuel bath as others have had, as it was late and I let both the fuel filter and crankcase drain overnight. As a result, using a gallon Ziploc bag to pull down the filter, I think I spilled a tablespoon's worth of fuel into the bag. Also, per a video on YouTube, I inserted the new filter (Mopar brand) into the filter housing, then attached the bowl.

Last night I fueled up, having gone through one tank of fuel since the change. I've worked three weekends in a row, so it's all been city commuting. Prior to the change, I've been in the 24mpg average range. The last tank was 23.6mpg.

This tank? Same driving conditions, maybe a little warmer this past month, I got 25.7mpg. In addition, the truck is noticeably more lively now, quicker in throttle response at all times. Also, there's a significant reduction in injector noise when cold.

One more item. I always fuel at the same Safeway station (gotta love the discount!), but while I had used Amsoil Diesel Injector Clean (ADF) and Cetane Boost (ACB), based on what I've read here I decided to try Optilube Summer+ Formula (Yellow) which does both functions. Being lazy --- I mean, efficient -- I bought their 8-pack of 4oz bottles and simply add one per tank. BTW, that little Plano ammo box is a dandy thing to have.

In summary, I'm quite pleased with the results so far. From now on, I'm just going to change the fuel filter at every oil change. By some strange coincidence, that's 10K miles or one year almost to the anniversary date of my buying this rig on May 1, 2015.

Cheers,

Doug in Tacoma

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Okay, I realize they now recommend 15K mile fuel filter changes, but I let mine go to just shy of 30K. I replaced it along with the oil and filter (third oil change). I also installed Geno's Garage's brass plug.

The old filter had the appearance of a used "natural brown" coffee filter. No a spec of water in the bowl, but there were very faint traces of some kind of sediment, scarcely visible to the eye. By the way, I did not take a fuel bath as others have had, as it was late and I let both the fuel filter and crankcase drain overnight. As a result, using a gallon Ziploc bag to pull down the filter, I think I spilled a tablespoon's worth of fuel into the bag. Also, per a video on YouTube, I inserted the new filter (Mopar brand) into the filter housing, then attached the bowl.

Last night I fueled up, having gone through one tank of fuel since the change. I've worked three weekends in a row, so it's all been city commuting. Prior to the change, I've been in the 24mpg average range. The last tank was 23.6mpg.

This tank? Same driving conditions, maybe a little warmer this past month, I got 25.7mpg. In addition, the truck is noticeably more lively now, quicker in throttle response at all times. Also, there's a significant reduction in injector noise when cold.

One more item. I always fuel at the same Safeway station (gotta love the discount!), but while I had used Amsoil Diesel Injector Clean (ADF) and Cetane Boost (ACB), based on what I've read here I decided to try Optilube Summer+ Formula (Yellow) which does both functions. Being lazy --- I mean, efficient -- I bought their 8-pack of 4oz bottles and simply add one per tank. BTW, that little Plano ammo box is a dandy thing to have.

In summary, I'm quite pleased with the results so far. From now on, I'm just going to change the fuel filter at every oil change. By some strange coincidence, that's 10K miles or one year almost to the anniversary date of my buying this rig on May 1, 2015.

Cheers,

Doug in Tacoma
Who is "they" that recommends 15K fuel filter changes? Just curious....and confused.:confused::confused: :confused:

·
Administrator
8,907 Posts

Cheers,

Doug in Tacoma
The revised interval is now 20,000 miles per the latest revised Diesel Supplement to the owners manual. Perhaps the additive helped fuel economy. IMO, the new filter probably didn't.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
fuel mileage was likely helped most by the warmer weather and second most by warm weather fuel formulation. Fuel filter change did not contribute anything to it. Additives might have done a bit but I doubt it. Even on the same route there is too much difference in driving condition, temperature, wind and fuel formulation (particularly with fuel from a third party non refiner retailer likely to buy whatever is the cheapest at the moment). It has been common for these third party sellers of fuel to buy leftover winter fuel for use in the summer and leftover summer fuel for use in the winter.

Anyhow, early fuel filter changes are unlikely to hurt anything but your wallet and unlikely to help anything either.

Enjoy your truck and its new warm weather performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts