RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever had to get a new fuel system? Fuel rails everything put in? What all do they have to do to the truck to be able to install it all? I’ve had mine down almost a month to get a new fuel system in, parts should be here tomorrow.
Should be a new injection pump, fuel rails, fuel pump, all 6 fuel injectors, and hopefully all new hoses any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not sure what exactly you are asking...

Are you doing the job yourself or is a shop doing it? What specifically do you want to know?

I've personally replaced the entire fuel system in my EcoDiesel (Jeep Grand Cherokee). I can tell you that it is indeed a big job, but more for the time than complexity. Point me in a direction...I'll try to help.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Are you doing the job yourself or is a shop doing it? What specifically do you want to know?

I've personally replaced the entire fuel system in my EcoDiesel (Jeep Grand Cherokee). I can tell you that it is indeed a big job, but more for the time than complexity. Point me in a direction...I'll try to help.
About how long did it take you ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I’m asking about replacing it at the shop, I managed to get lucky and have it all changed under the AEM warranty. Just curious as to if they had to remove the cab from chassis to change it or what then I know what to look for whenever I check out there work

·
Registered
357 Posts
I’m asking about replacing it at the shop, I managed to get lucky and have it all changed under the AEM warranty. Just curious as to if they had to remove the cab from chassis to change it or what then I know what to look for whenever I check out there work
I don't know if it's cab off I doubt it, my 2014 RIP had the entire fuel system replaced at the time I bought it for just under $17,000 dolllars CDN as per Ram central instructions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if it's cab off I doubt it, my 2014 RIP had the entire fuel system replaced at the time I bought it for just under $17,000 dolllars CDN as per Ram central instructions.
I talked to service manager, said it’s a cab off install, if it was customer pay then it’s a 24 hour job, since it’s warranty, it’s only 12 hours...... only thing I’m waiting for is the supply tube kit, injection pump was there everything was there. Hopefully here soon I get my truck back. This fucking hemi sucks some fuel down..... I damn sure don’t wanna keep paying for fuel with 8.8 mpg much rather keep my 13.5 in my ecosploder....

·
Registered
357 Posts
I talked to service manager, said it’s a cab off install, if it was customer pay then it’s a 24 hour job, since it’s warranty, it’s only 12 hours...... only thing I’m waiting for is the supply tube kit, injection pump was there everything was there. Hopefully here soon I get my truck back. This fucking hemi sucks some fuel down..... I damn sure don’t wanna keep paying for fuel with 8.8 mpg much rather keep my 13.5 in my ecosploder....
Ram is real
Ram tends to nuke everything in the fuel system except the fuel tank after water contamination, they did on my truck, stripped everything the entire fuel system. Back in the day you would just blow out the fuel lines with varsol and afterward a bit of brake Kleen, wash up with Brake Kleen everything else and done.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ram is real

Ram tends to nuke everything in the fuel system except the fuel tank after water contamination, they did on my truck, stripped everything the entire fuel system. Back in the day you would just blow out the fuel lines with varsol and afterward a bit of brake Kleen, wash up with Brake Kleen everything else and done.
claimed the injection pump caused the whole system to tank and send metal fragments, no water in tank

·
Registered
379 Posts
claimed the injection pump caused the whole system to tank and send metal fragments, no water in tank
This is a viable explanation. Per RAM, they would replace the following: injectors, ALL fuel lines (high and Low pressure), fuel rails, both in-tank pumps, the HPFP (injector) pump, and the fuel tank.

For my job I did all that except the new tank, which I had flushed at a local diesel shop.

I didn't track work hours, but I'm guessing it took me a total of 30-40 hours. BUT...I'm a shadetree mechanic, so I took my time and kept copious notes. The job overall took about 3 weeks for me to complete. It is a BIG job...on the jeep it required full exhuast and driveshaft removal to get the tank out. Those are not easy tasks...trust me.

I don't think cab removal is a big a deal as you'd think...seems shocklingly routine for dealers so I wouldnt worry about it.

Ask them if they removed the fuel sensor solenoid from the original HPFP...this is where they would have inspected the pump. If metal was there and they only replaced the pump...they're gonna do it again, with all those other parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts