RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought a new tune from GDE recently? I am asking because I know for a while they weren't selling the tunes because of the EPA. I am wondering if you still have to ship your ecm to them or if it is now uploaded through the port under the dash. I was just looking at them and didn't see where it talks about sending them your ECM. Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
26 Posts
No, you don't have to send in the ECM. They'll mail you a little handheld CPU that you'll copy your stock FCA tune to and they'll email you the new high performance tune. You'll then install the HP tune to your truck. I'm not a computer guru, but what questions I had they answered and the entire process was very easy. I've had mine for about 3 months now and its made a huge difference in performance. Biggest thing in my opinion is there is absolutely no throttle lag after installing the tune. If you have any questions or concerns I would call them. I bet they'll answer ANY questions you might have. I'm happy I bought the tune and I was one of those who was satisfied with the stock truck minus the throttle lag.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, you don't have to send in the ECM. They'll mail you a little handheld CPU that you'll copy your stock FCA tune to and they'll email you the new high performance tune. You'll then install the HP tune to your truck. I'm not a computer guru, but what questions I had they answered and the entire process was very easy. I've had mine for about 3 months now and its made a huge difference in performance. Biggest thing in my opinion is there is absolutely no throttle lag after installing the tune. If you have any questions or concerns I would call them. I bet they'll answer ANY questions you might have. I'm happy I bought the tune and I was one of those who was satisfied with the stock truck minus the throttle lag.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info! The throttle lag is my main issue with the truck, especially when its cold! Its kinda dangerous to drive when its cold

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just installed last Wednesday. I would recommend if frustrated. I held off for a long time and should of purchased sooner. The install is very easy. I just towed 3000 lbs boat nine hours Thursday and 14 miles to gallon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I purchased the Green Diesel Engineering EPA approved HOT Tune & Trans Tune and purchased the optional Regen Messeage and Exhaust Brake. I was around 800 miles on the 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie when I installed it and I am just over 4,100 miles right now on the truck. The Green Diesel Engineering engine and transmission tunes greatly improve the drivability of the truck. Throttle response is improved, shifting is faster with quicker torque converter lock up lowering my trans temps and average of 4 degrees.

You will receive a handheld tuner and you will need the security bypass kit for 2018 and newer models.

I also changed the oil and filter at 1,816 miles to wash out the initial wear in metals, and I installed Redline 15w-40 Group V Ester synthetic diesel oil.

Don't get caught up in the propaganda about having to use an oil with the MOPAR MS-10902 spec. As you can see from the manual FCA recommend you use 5w-40 synthetic engine oil such as MOPAR or Shell Rotella that meets FCA Material Standard MS-10902.

API CJ-4 which has now been superseded by CK-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 engine oil category is required.

1602182833439.png

To many people misread that paragraph and wrongly assume that you have to use oil with the MOPAR Material Standard MS-10902 but FCA only recommends you use an oil with that spec. You do however have to use and oil that meets the API CJ-4/CK-4 spec or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 specs.

That paragraph above from the manual is marketing 101 at its finest and worst at the same time, they make it confusing on purpose hoping to get people to return to the dealer for all their services that way the dealers can try and up sell you other services.

To make a long post short there is no FCA requirement that you have to use an oil with the MOPAR Material Standard MS-10902. You are however required to use an oil that can meet the API CJ-4/CK-4 or ACEA E9/E7 or ACEA A3/B4 standard.

·
Registered
16 Laramie ecodiesel
16 Posts
Cost for just the computer tune? I'm interested now that I found out my truck has no warranty after it crossed the border.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Cost for just the computer tune? I'm interested now that I found out my truck has no warranty after it crossed the border.

Base tune includes Engine tune and Transmission tune $1,100.00, OBD bypass kit (2018 & Newer) $35.00, optional Regen Message display $50.00, optional exhaust brake $50.00, Shipping insurance $10.00, Shipping UPS $25.00, Tax 74.70, Total $1,344.70.

Yes they collected tax for the state of Florida. Probably because of the EPA ordeal they went through so no need to draw attention to the government over taxes as well.

You will receive the OBD bypass kit, OBD cable, USB cable and handheld programmer. You will download the stock factory tune onto the handheld programmer, and email that tune to GDE, they will do what needs to be done for their tunes to work and email back the new Hot tune and Transmission tune file, you will load that into the handheld programmer and install the new tunes on the truck. The longest part will be emailing GDE the stock tune and waiting for them to send you back the updated tune, mine took about three to four hours turn around to get the new file back.

Installing the tune takes about 8 minutes.

Oh and a tip, calibrate the touch screen first thing or you will be downloading and find out that the calibration is a little off and you might not be able to select one of the commands near the edge of the screen.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the info! The throttle lag is my main issue with the truck, especially when its cold! Its kinda dangerous to drive when its cold
I just got my tuner and tune a little over a week ago. Got it because I've almost gotten run over several times when either people were going way over the speed limit or my 70 year old eyes just did not judge the distance well. Seems that I could start to pull out and then the turbo would take FOREVER to spool up, then when it did the tires would break loose. Kind of annoying for sure. Got the tune back the next morning after I sent my stock tune in the night before. Got it installed and what a difference it made in the truck. The turbo lag was gone and it ran like a real gas v-8 from the 90's. I have 2 days of the week that I drive to work out of town. It is a 150 mile trip there and back. I was averaging 26 mpg on the new tires (lost 2-3 mpg on the new more aggressive tires). Saw a 3 mpg increase in fuel mileage. So I'm happy just to have a more perky jump off the line. The extra mpg was icing on the cake.
Jackie

·
Registered
838 Posts
Base tune includes Engine tune and Transmission tune $1,100.00, OBD bypass kit (2018 & Newer) $35.00, optional Regen Message display $50.00, optional exhaust brake $50.00, Shipping insurance $10.00, Shipping UPS $25.00, Tax 74.70, Total $1,344.70.

Yes they collected tax for the state of Florida. Probably because of the EPA ordeal they went through so no need to draw attention to the government over taxes as well.

You will receive the OBD bypass kit, OBD cable, USB cable and handheld programmer. You will download the stock factory tune onto the handheld programmer, and email that tune to GDE, they will do what needs to be done for their tunes to work and email back the new Hot tune and Transmission tune file, you will load that into the handheld programmer and install the new tunes on the truck. The longest part will be emailing GDE the stock tune and waiting for them to send you back the updated tune, mine took about three to four hours turn around to get the new file back.

Installing the tune takes about 8 minutes.

Oh and a tip, calibrate the touch screen first thing or you will be downloading and find out that the calibration is a little off and you might not be able to select one of the commands near the edge of the screen.
I sent my tune in on a Friday night and it was installed before 12 noon Saturday morning. The support is exceptional. GDE (Keith) is very dedicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had the original GDE engine and transmission tunes on my truck for about 60,000 miles and for a variety of reasons was not able to keep the tuned ECM - it got flashed over with my full knowledge. I knew I wanted the tune back and installed the EPA-compliant tune a couple of weeks ago.

The good news about having the 2nd AEM tune on the truck for a few days is I was reminded how crappy the stock tune is as far as throttle response, shift firmness and overall drivability. As others have mentioned Keith and the gang at GDE were super fast emailing the new tune back to me once I sent them the factory tune - and then the installation took less than 15 minutes from the time I downloaded it onto the handheld programmer and then installed on the truck.

The further good news is the truck - in my experience so far - is actually MORE responsive than the original GDE tune. The transmission especially has really been brought to life; very distinct, firm shifts without being harsh, holds gears a little bit longer when accelerating and generally more responsive. The throttle response is also better the the pre-EPA tune.

I've towed our 7000 pound travel trailer about 800 miles along with typical driving - probably 65% highway, 35% city, about 2500 miles overall. With towing and unloaded driving I'm averaging around 24mpg. Not sure that's up to par with the previous tune but I haven't done my usual driving since I got the new version. The truck seems to be going into Regens a little more frequently; I'm hoping the combustion is clean enough that there isn't much crap going through the EGR and into the intake. More frequent regens has me slightly concerned but it certainly doesn't change my mind about installing the new tune.

Still love my truck!

Bob

Reactions: jsd43 and justind

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I sent my tune in on a Friday night and it was installed before 12 noon Saturday morning. The support is exceptional. GDE (Keith) is very dedicated.
This has been my experience in my 4+ years running GDE products and updates.

·
Registered
838 Posts
This has been my experience in my 4+ years running GDE products and updates.
The support was exceptional. I would be remiss in not detailing it. After installing the tune my truck went into multiple regens and limp mode. Turns out it was caused by the dealership during the cooler recall. My business started to boom again after the China virus but will soon sit down and detail. Keith stayed with me the entire weekend and helped me solve the problem. Never met the man but will remember on my dying day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
For 2014-2019 the only axle ratios were 3.55 and 3.92. 3.21 was used on the gasoline engine. We can tune for both axles.
Thanks again for the support you provided me. Staying with me over the weekend solving the air intake dealership caused codes and the multiple Regens saved me a tow.

Once the reluctor wheel issue is solved, I imagine we need to update the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts