RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not seen much information about the new GDE tunes so I thought I would share my experience. I've got a 2016 ED with 60,000ish miles. This is my first diesel and I bought it new. I've never done any tunes, deletes, or other mods. It's been a great truck and has never left me stranded. I have had the check engine light come on with the dreaded "electronic throttle sensor" message but its always been because of a dirty turbo boost sensor. Clean the sensor, reset the code, all good. I've done the AEM updates, received my check, and am waiting on the EGR recall parts. My coolant level remains steady for now.

So on to the GDE tune...I ordered it on 6/23, received the OBD tool and instructions a few days later. I read the stock file, sent to GDE, and had to wait a week or so because they said they were building the tunes. Apparently there are quite a few versions based on the specifics of each truck. Yesterday morning, 7/5, the much anticipated email with the tune had arrived to my inbox.

I uploaded the tune to the OBD tool and went outside to the truck. All was going as expected but the button (right arrow) to accept and start the flash would not work. This was solved by calibrating the OBD tool. Once I was able to start the flash, it took about 8 minutes. Lots of lights and beeps on the dash during the process. The process went smoothly and exactly as described in the instructions.

I then warmed up the truck and went for a spin. The difference was immediately noticeable. It did not feel like a boosted hot rod but it felt like a nice smooth driving truck. Much less lag, quick and precise shifts, incredible passing at highway speeds. I've only driven it around 50 miles but it feels really good. It's too early to say whether the mileage increase will be significant but it but for this short duration, it is noticeable.

This is different from the old GDE tunes that required the ECU swap. You pay more but you get the OBD tool and it will store the stock and GDE tunes on it. So when you go in for service, you can flash back to stock for warranty purposes. The tool is locked to your vehicle's VIN. What do not know yet is if I can load other tuner's tunes on this tool? Could I have a Stock, GDE, and sofa king tune all on there ready to load?

Overall I'm very satisfied. The directions from GDE are very clear and easy to follow. So far, I would recommend.

I'll update as I put more miles on it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
256 Posts
This is different from the old GDE tunes that required the ECU swap. You pay more but you get the OBD tool and it will store the stock and GDE tunes on it. So when you go in for service, you can flash back to stock for warranty purposes. The tool is locked to your vehicle's VIN. What do not know yet is if I can load other tuner's tunes on this tool? Could I have a Stock, GDE, and sofa king tune all on there ready to load?
No, you won't be able to mix/match tunes on the the same tuner. GDE and everyone else has a master encryption device linked to their alien-tech account. The OBD tool they provide is also linked to their account. In order to have SFK on the GDE tool, SFK would have to provide the full FLASH tune un-encrypted to GDE.

Also, although the OBD tool is convenient in a lot of ways, the OBD tool that folks had for the GDE transmission tune were unable to reapply the transmission tune after the AEM updates. This could potentially happen in the future for one or both of the new GDE transmission and engine tunes. I assume you'll have to pay $100 to get the tunes updated by GDE in that case.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2016 Limited now has 103k miles with the GDE ecu swap & tranny tune since 60k. She runs better than New with increased fuel mpg, well if I don't stomp the throttle. I have a second stock ecu that's a dawg, just for recalls etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered my GDE tune last night, the tool is on its way now and should arrive Thursdayday. Thanks for the information on the process. Now I just need to decide on a cold air intake to get rid of the silencer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
"Improved Operation Of Three-Way Coolant Valve To Give Engine Warm-Up Benefits"

That's from their website, from my understanding it still has all the factory operations just completes the process more efficiently. Also I saw there rep here say the hand held obd tune is same as their ECU tune performance wise

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Does the new GDE tune turn off the EGR? Assuming not but just wanted to verify.
EGR still active with new version GDE tune , no way around it for US owners , only way to please the EPA and CARB ,
but still a lot better than stock ....for engine longevity.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wish I could order GDE tunes in CA :(

The truck drove like crap after the recall, I lost an engine, got a new engine with the second ECU reflash done and it still drives like crap. GDE seems to be the go to but CA continues to ruin my fun. Anyone in CA have any luck? I wonder how SFT on its own compared to GDE? I can buy SFT at least.

·
Registered
2016 CC Laramie Longhorn
26 Posts
Wish I could order GDE tunes in CA :(

The truck drove like crap after the recall, I lost an engine, got a new engine with the second ECU reflash done and it still drives like crap. GDE seems to be the go to but CA continues to ruin my fun. Anyone in CA have any luck? I wonder how SFT on its own compared to GDE? I can buy SFT at least.
Word straight from GDE on a seperate thread is HOPEFULLY end of summer for Ca compliant tune. Just waiting on CARB

Hopefully the end of the summer. Send more of your tax money to CARB, maybe they will speed things up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts