RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded in my 2018 F150 last week for a new 2021 Eco Diesel Bighorn night edition. I hadn't really planned on buying it, but the dealer made the numbers too good to pass up. I was unhappy with my f150 about 2 weeks after I bought it and it had all sorts of issues for the 2 years I owned it. I think it spent total 35-40 days in the shop under warranty repairs.

Loving the truck so far after only about 300 miles on it. Rides way smoother than my f150 did, mileage so far is fantastic (I average 30-40k a year so mileage was a big factor for me in this purchase). Black wasn't my first choice but this is the one I found and they were able to make the deal on. Black is the best looking truck in my opinion, but it's so hard to keep clean and shows every single nick scratch and dent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just curious what issues your F150 had? If it was the V8 from 2018 then probably oil consumption issues lol
Yep it was a 2018 5.0 . My 2014 f150 with the 5.0 was great so thats why I bought another one. This one had oil consumption problems, a rattling/knocking noise on acceleration and decceleration which sounded like someone shaking a can of spray paint under the hood, transmission would slam into gear if I started the truck up and put in reverse, bad gasket around the heater box (thats what they called it anyways) that had rain water pouring into the floor boards and they had to fully remove the dash to fix, sound deadening material on the back of the cab falling off so they had to remove the box to replace it, drivers seat sagged and felt loose, and the dash had a warp in it.

The engine, transmission, seat, and warped dash Ford said were all "regular characteristics of the truck" and weren't issues that would effect the longevity or performance of the truck. Just ridiculous. The rattling noise the general consensus was that it had to do with the VVT I think, and was basically timing chain slap.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Yep it was a 2018 5.0 . My 2014 f150 with the 5.0 was great so thats why I bought another one. This one had oil consumption problems, a rattling/knocking noise on acceleration and decceleration which sounded like someone shaking a can of spray paint under the hood, transmission would slam into gear if I started the truck up and put in reverse, bad gasket around the heater box (thats what they called it anyways) that had rain water pouring into the floor boards and they had to fully remove the dash to fix, sound deadening material on the back of the cab falling off so they had to remove the box to replace it, drivers seat sagged and felt loose, and the dash had a warp in it.

The engine, transmission, seat, and warped dash Ford said were all "regular characteristics of the truck" and weren't issues that would effect the longevity or performance of the truck. Just ridiculous. The rattling noise the general consensus was that it had to do with the VVT I think, and was basically timing chain slap.
Ahhh yes, 2014 5.0 is a different engine than the 2018 5.0, it has been re-worked a few times since, including again for 2021. For 2021 it has a rubber belt to drive the oil pump, just like the GM 3.0 Duramax.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh yes, 2014 5.0 is a different engine than the 2018 5.0, it has been re-worked a few times since, including again for 2021. For 2021 it has a rubber belt to drive the oil pump, just like the GM 3.0 Duramax.
Yea, found out it was different about a week after I bought the truck and heard all the noises it was making.... For whatever reason I didn't research before I bought it like I should have.

·
Registered
2021 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel crew cab 4x4
93 Posts
cydiesel, that's interesting. We have a 2018 F-150 5.0 in the family as well. It does have oil consumption, which is finally solved with a PCM reprogram, which keeps the throttle plate cracked upon deceleration. Have not had the other problems; truck has 35k now.

I just bought a 2021 EcoDiesel two weeks ago, also a BigHorn. I love it, but keep in mind the EcoDiesel does not exactly have a "trouble free" reputation!

Reactions: justind

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cydiesel, that's interesting. We have a 2018 F-150 5.0 in the family as well. It does have oil consumption, which is finally solved with a PCM reprogram, which keeps the throttle plate cracked upon deceleration. Have not had the other problems; truck has 35k now.

I just bought a 2021 EcoDiesel two weeks ago, also a BigHorn. I love it, but keep in mind the EcoDiesel does not exactly have a "trouble free" reputation!
They tried doing all the fixes for my f150. There are TSB's out there for the rattle noise and transmission shifts that basically tell the dealer to reprogram the truck, and if that doesn't fix it then it is considered normal. I don't think there is any truck out there with a "trouble free" reputation. All new vehicles have common problems throughout their models and are difficult to work on, in my opinion. If I didn't need a nice vehicle for my job, I would be driving a 1997 silverado 1500 lol. Tons of parts out there, easy to work on, pretty dependable.

·
Registered
2021 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel crew cab 4x4
93 Posts
The Ford oil consumption took several different TSB’s to get right. They originally had a TSB which had a procedure of doing an oil change, manually marking the dipstick, changing the PCV valve, and monitoring. If the consumption continued, the engine would be replaced...and quite a few engines were replaced.
I’ve heard of the rattle problem, and I have not heard of a fix.
As for the Ecodiesel, watch out for timing cover oil leaks that many Gen3 owners are finding, as well as EGR cooler plugging down the road. I will say the fuel economy is impressive but the engine sounds like a gas V6. Not nearly as quick as a 5.0 either.
Anyway, best of luck, hope yours and mine are great.

·
Registered
334 Posts

Wife's 2018 Jeep Cherokee just had the same software procedure done. It drank oil like mad for the first 40,000 miles and then they finally figured out what caused it... deceleration was sucking oil. They flashed the computer and now I have to watch to see if it's cured.

I had a 2013 F-150 5.0 that had ONE repair at 130,000 miles and that was a coolant hose. My cousin, a friend, and a college room mate all have 5.0s right now, from 100,000 miles to 250,000 miles and almost zero issues. As somebody mentioned, Ford has continued to screw with a nearly perfect design over the years and each iteration has become less reliable. I have no idea why they do that. I was always taught if it ain't broke don't fix it. On the new ones you can't even change the trans fluid without removing exhaust and crossmembers. It's ridiculous. I grew up a die hard Ford guy but the last several years have turned me against them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wife's 2018 Jeep Cherokee just had the same software procedure done. It drank oil like mad for the first 40,000 miles and then they finally figured out what caused it... deceleration was sucking oil. They flashed the computer and now I have to watch to see if it's cured.

I had a 2013 F-150 5.0 that had ONE repair at 130,000 miles and that was a coolant hose. My cousin, a friend, and a college room mate all have 5.0s right now, from 100,000 miles to 250,000 miles and almost zero issues. As somebody mentioned, Ford has continued to screw with a nearly perfect design over the years and each iteration has become less reliable. I have no idea why they do that. I was always taught if it ain't broke don't fix it. On the new ones you can't even change the trans fluid without removing exhaust and crossmembers. It's ridiculous. I grew up a die hard Ford guy but the last several years have turned me against them.
my 14 5.0 was great.150k when I traded it in and only problems with it were a rear axle seal at like $80k, then front struts went bad about 130k. Otherwise that truck was completely solid. Last 4 or 5 vehicles were fords so I thought I’d try something else this time lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Traded in my 2018 F150 last week for a new 2021 Eco Diesel Bighorn night edition. I hadn't really planned on buying it, but the dealer made the numbers too good to pass up. I was unhappy with my f150 about 2 weeks after I bought it and it had all sorts of issues for the 2 years I owned it. I think it spent total 35-40 days in the shop under warranty repairs.

Loving the truck so far after only about 300 miles on it. Rides way smoother than my f150 did, mileage so far is fantastic (I average 30-40k a year so mileage was a big factor for me in this purchase). Black wasn't my first choice but this is the one I found and they were able to make the deal on. Black is the best looking truck in my opinion, but it's so hard to keep clean and shows every single nick scratch and dent.

Congrats on getting the new ride! Just be prepared for some sticker shock when it comes to maintenance. You can save some $$ by taking a DIY approach...check out Blauparts.com or IDParts.com as a source for fluids and filters.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: I have just shy of 3000 miles on it now. So far very happy with the truck. Added a bakflip tonneau cover, and the bed is getting sprayed with line-x next week. I'm averaging about 25.5mpg combined so far. I pulled my boat about 300 miles and got around 20 mpg which I was super impressed with (mainly on 2 lane road so around 60mph). I have a 1500 mile trip next week, and then driving about 800 round trip pulling the boat the following week so I'll be curious to see how the mpg is over that time.

So far the only thing I miss about my ford is the key pad on the door. I really liked being able to lock my keys in the truck when I was out hunting/fishing and not having to worry about carrying the keys with me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts