RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Everyone,

So I have a 2014 Ecodiesel 1500 with 66k on it. Purchased it not running with the assumption the cam gear had spun. After checking timing and a compression test I came to question the hpfp. I sent it out to be tested and it was bad (high pressure valve had failed). Just installed a new one and the truck still will not start. No codes currently. I'm pretty stumped and I've quickly come to realize there is little information out there about these trucks and the issues compared to a cummins or a powerstroke (previously owned diesels). I appreciate any tips or ideas greatly. Overall though, It's actually a pretty fun motor to work on compared to my last diesel... a 6.4 lol.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Good Evening Everyone,

So I have a 2014 Ecodiesel 1500 with 66k on it. Purchased it not running with the assumption the cam gear had spun. After checking timing and a compression test I came to question the hpfp. I sent it out to be tested and it was bad (high pressure valve had failed). Just installed a new one and the truck still will not start. No codes currently. I'm pretty stumped and I've quickly come to realize there is little information out there about these trucks and the issues compared to a cummins or a powerstroke (previously owned diesels). I appreciate any tips or ideas greatly. Overall though, It's actually a pretty fun motor to work on compared to my last diesel... a 6.4 lol.

Thanks again!
I'm not a mechanic, but I'll take a blind stab at it. Did you confirm that your in-tank fuel pump is working and delivering fuel to the HPFP? Also, check the fuel filter and make sure it isn't clogged and is passing fuel. Fuel system could also need priming before fuel will pump to HPFP. Good luck, and I hope you get it running soon.

·
Registered
811 Posts
there should be a bleeder port somewhere up top, could be full of air, also if HPFP was bad, odds are, injectors are bad too, kind of a similar pump to the 6.4, different brand, just Bosch's version on the EcoDiesel.

·
Registered
386 Posts
When HPFPs fail they can shower the fuel system with metal particles which can foul the injectors. It's quite a process to get the fuel system cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
When HPFPs fail they can shower the fuel system with metal particles which can foul the injectors. It's quite a process to get the fuel system cleaned up.
This can be true but I would go to the easiest solution first. MAKE SURE the system is not air bound. Fairly common on fuel injection systems.
Check the in tank lift pump, filter, and bleed the system thoroughly.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the replies! Greatly appreciated. I borrowed a real scanner and it's throwing the p0336-00 code. My tablet with a bluetooth adapter and a cheap obdii app had shown the same code but labeled it as "historic". I had assumed that meant it had been replaced previously and saved on the ecu for future reference. This scanner says otherwise! lol looks like my crank position sensor could be the issue. Read the rail pressure while cranking and it was sufficient. Guess the tranny is coming out.. lol!

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!

Thanks again,

-John

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thank you everyone for the replies! Greatly appreciated. I borrowed a real scanner and it's throwing the p0336-00 code. My tablet with a bluetooth adapter and a cheap obdii app had shown the same code but labeled it as "historic". I had assumed that meant it had been replaced previously and saved on the ecu for future reference. This scanner says otherwise! lol looks like my crank position sensor could be the issue. Read the rail pressure while cranking and it was sufficient. Guess the tranny is coming out.. lol!

I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!

Thanks again,

-John
it's a job and a half just to get to that 1 sensor. While your at it replace the reluctor ring with the crank sensor. Last thing you would want is to go back in there again.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but have you checked ALL of your fuses? There are several that could cause a no start issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thumbnail.jpg

Well, there is the issue! Definitely a cheesy design if you ask me.
@Ram1: That was my first step! Sadly, all fuses and relays were good... looks like it was crank position sensor related!
@gonein10: Reluctor/tone ring will be getting replaced.. lol!

Thanks again everyone for the help!

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Bear with me...what is that a picture of?
Wondering too , going by post # 7 by jkeselis , a part that is mounted between the engine and transmission ( the reluctor ring ).
some kind of magnet glued to that metal ring , communicating with the crank position sensor as the crank turns , info sent to the ECM
to inject fuel at a precise moment .you can see a piece was broken off and missing .

sitting on a disc with graduated marks ( the big white piece the reluctor is resting on )
that you fit to the crankshaft when fine tuning the install of the crank position sensor

I have seen a big white disc like that before , when a Buddy of mine was rebuilding a 426 HEMI
from the early 70's had to do with installing timing chain sprocket at perfect angle on camshaft .
probably going to be used to make sure the NEW reluctor ring , and position sensor will be reinstalled with fine precision .
Just guessing of course ...what do I know .:rolleyes:

·
Registered
433 Posts
So there's about a 1 inch chunk of the magnet missing? If that's what I'm seeing...just, wow.

That design is stupid IMO. Magnetic strip glued to the ring? Would seem that is a failure waiting to happen - why not machine slots into the ring for the sensor to read? Nothing to fail then...

·
Registered
13,756 Posts
Think you posted on another thread that it was fixed. That right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Think you posted on another thread that it was fixed. That right?
Yes my truck is fixed. From what I understand the rings all have a stop point which must be where the sensor reads a full rotation or something should only be a MM wide mine was a inch wide. The magnetic stripe at one end of this break came unglued and a chunk of the strip broke off. This caused a crank position performance code and ecm lost timing and the engine shut off. I’m still under engine warranty and dealer pulled it apart and replaced it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts