RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my laramie on the 14th of April. Traded in a 08 fx2 crew cab that averaged 17.26 mpg over 192k miles with a lot of highway and boat hauling on the weekends.

It's black with gold pearl, 3.55, short ram box bed crew cab, black leather, towing package, limited slip.

Love the thing. Great power when I'm feeling squirrelly or need to pass. Got a calculated 28mpg on the last tank. Which puts my cost at $0.14 a mile compared to $0.19 with the ford. I'm at 2400miles now. I'll typically see 31 on the dash on the flat highways; and it's a world of difference to get in the slip stream of a tractor trailer or even another car.

I do a lot of driving and I'm really pleased with the road manners and quietness. No issues so far, just the floppy sun visors

Seems to be a little thirsty on the DEF but I think everything is going to level out as the truck breaks in. I do make it a point to get on it to get some heat into the system to avoid regen mode. I wouldn't recommend this motor to someone whose commute isn't long enough allow the engine to get to temp for very long. It won't return the expected mileage or life expectancy

Fishing season is here so I'll get some towing numbers starting Sunday. Should pull just as well as the ecoboost, judging from my seat time in both.

But the mileage is just incredible. It's what should have happened year ago. Most 1/2ton truck owners are usually unloaded with just a driver. Diesel is more efficient in any vehicle but I don't need 6.something liters that can haul 20,000lbs. The 3.0 seems a perfect solution for the common man.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Well said!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Great report scout.I also have the Laramie and love it.I see similar mileage with my 3.92 geared diesel on decent roads.Unfortunatly,much of my traveling is 5-10 mile trips with a cold engine and agree this takes it's toll on the mpg average.But to be fair,it did on my former 2012 Hemi w/3.55's as well.Across the chart,good roads,bad roads,cold engine or warm,my mpg are 7-8 better with the diesel vs. my Hemi in the same situations.What little highway driveing I've done has been in extremely hilly areas and this truck averages 29 vs.18 Hemi.Seems like the diesel's mpg are less finicky in the hills and when I get after it some since it doesn't rely on the MDS for optimum mpg.It always gets good mpg but then great if given a chance.I am able to drive 40 miles on a hilly state road a few times a week that gives the diesel a chance to stretch it's legs and I haven't had a regen yet @900 miles.Just love everything about this set-up.Also happy with the quick engine warm up for heat.About the same as my Hemi was.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts