RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New LED Bulb(REFLECTOR ONLY*) Replacement *Dales Super Store* Review/Install

I wanted to make an initial thread and update throughout the install coupled with a review. Here are some initial photos and thoughts.

Big shot out to Diesel & Jeep Performance Parts: Dale's Super Store https://www.facebook.com/DaleSSuperstorecom-146857935343409/timeline/ for sending me these LED Bulbs to try out.

They are:
REFLECTOR STYLE BULB ONLY!
3500Lumens
70w Equiv-

Seems as though the installation should be fairly straight forward, but I'll know once I begin the process. I'm surprised at the size of the bulb, it's huge and looks to be made really well. So far so good.

UPDATE*

Okay, sorry for the delayed update. Tools needed can be found at Harbor Freight, if you don't have them already.

Power Drill w/Drive Adaptor
10mm Socket
8" Extenstion
Plastic Puller(5 Piece Auto Trim and Molding Tool Set)
Alchohol(no needed)

Install time :37 w/any kind've common sense.

Okay, so w/tools in hand I get started on this installation. I highly relied on this video for removal/installation assistance:

Simple enough.

After removing everything following the steps in that video, I noticed the cables that this kit came with, didn't match up, and I couldnt figure out how this bulb would sit in the existing casing. So I reached out to Derek Dobson who was my rep w/Dales Super Store and asked him what was the story & he quickly diagnosed that I was sent the wrong kit(H1) and not the H11. Derek reassured me that he would send me the H11 ASAP. So, I had to put everything back together and wait for the new kit to come in.

2 days later, they are here and I'm ready to go.

Pull everything back off, cables are direct fit into existing wiring harness. I did notice the fitment isn't 100% and could use some re-enforcing via black tape(I don't think they would come out, but I want to make sure I don't have to pull off the grill again, but should be fine w/o it)

Upon installing the bulb w/the provided "Rubber" casing, I found the bulb just wouldn't fit properply(see photo) so I decided to forgo the rubber casing that would essentially replace the dust cap, for a better fit. Important to note, the dust cap will not go back on w/these bulbs w/o modification to the cap itself(not a concern of mine, I want to see the road)

In my excitement, I throw the other bulb on, put the grill back together and turn the lights on to marvel at now having LED's. At this moment, it was late in the day, so I was able to see the lights on a wall AND go for a drive.

Initial reaction, nothing but dissappointment. I thought, "Man, this is 3500 Lumens? this looks worse then before" - get on the road, and it's in fact, worse than before. I get home, a little tired and dejected. I send Derek another message about the outcome and he suggested a couple of things, but, I began to think, that reflector casing around the bulb has to be blocking the LED, it just has to.

Next day, I yank off the front end, pull the head light out and unscrew and tether the tab/reflector thing to a piece of wire so that I can put it back if my theory is wrong. I ignorantly did this during the day, so I couldnt' confirm if my theory was true.

Later on that night....

BAMM!!!! WE HAVE LED'S!!!!!

The lights are bright as hell, I can see the road and now that i've got a full 2 weeks and some good use, I can report nothing but good things. You don't need resistors or anything of the sort, I believe this is a projector issue, not a bulb/reflector issue. No flickering, no issues at all from this bulb.

I'm now stuck w/what to do to remove the tab/reflector thing in the headlight case because unless you remove the headlight cover, there is no way it's coming out.

All in all, I would suggest these bad boys in a heart beat. Derek at Dale's Super Store has been awesome in communication's and helping me get these LED's and troubleshooting them, can't thank you enough man.

I'm not 100% sure on the price, and I don't believe they are listed on the site just yet, but from what I've been told, they are WELL worth the asking price (< $175)

I would also suggest getting the LED Fog lights as well(I haven't tried them yet) because they fogs look hideous compared to these LED's. I will be ordering them very soon.

Thats it boys, if you've got questions, fire away!!!

IMG_3432.jpg IMG_3418.jpg IMG_3388.jpg IMG_3454.jpg IMG_3424.jpg IMG_3407.jpg IMG_3458.jpg IMG_3430.jpg IMG_3412.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
What kit did you get. They don't list our truck?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm definitely interested as well. I know installation is a pain just to get to the bulbs, but is likely worth it. Guessing it comes with all resistors and crap to ensure you don't throw a code.

You have projectors or reflectors?

I wish the projector glass lenses were better to facilitate a better cut-off. In order to get better cutoff in my '03 BMW M3, had to replace the stock lenses with ZK-W lenses...

EDIT: Found these @ Xenon Depot: http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-LED-headlight-kit-p/9012-led-hl.htm

Reactions: 2443

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm definitely interested as well. I know installation is a pain just to get to the bulbs, but is likely worth it. Guessing it comes with all resistors and crap to ensure you don't throw a code.

I wish the projector glass lenses were better to facilitate a better cut-off. In order to get better cutoff in my '03 BMW M3, had to replace the stock lenses with ZK-W lenses...

EDIT: Found these @ Xenon Depot: 9012 LED Headlight Kit | 9012 LED Upgrade

This is what I have & recommend. LEDs are OK, but HID has greater output. If you get the Phillips 4300K bulbs, they are 3200 Lumens - that's pretty bright.

9006 Xenon Conversion | XenonDepot Xtreme 9006 HID Kit

image.jpeg

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hershey,
Are you happy with these now? I thought you had a couple glitches with them when you first installed. Are you getting flashed by opposing drivers due to the brightness?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Cut off is much better than stock. I had glitches with the LEDs in the projectors. I moved the LEDs to the fog lights when I added the HIDs. I'm happy with the light produced. Yes, I get flashed all of the time, but that's mostly because there is no side-to-side headlight adjustment.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is what I have & recommend. LEDs are OK, but HID has greater output. If you get the Phillips 4300K bulbs, they are 3200 Lumens - that's pretty bright.
The LEDs are listed at 3500 lumens, should be about the same.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
That's pretty bright! One thing I noticed with my LEDs (main reason for getting HIDs), was the stem the LEDs are mounted on, showed up in the beam spread. One LED is on each side of the stem & there was a big, black shadow in the middle of my beam. It was really noticeable. They work great in the fog lights because they are mostly reflective & that eliminates the shadow. I hope that doesn't happen with your's. This is something I noticed & others may not notice, but almost all LEDs are configured nearly the same. Good luck & show us some pics!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Cut off is much better than stock. I had glitches with the LEDs in the projectors. I moved the LEDs to the fog lights when I added the HIDs. I'm happy with the light produced. Yes, I get flashed all of the time, but that's mostly because there is no side-to-side headlight adjustment.
You get flashed all the time that sounds like a personal problem :rolleyes:

·
Registered
502 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kit did you get. They don't list our truck?
H11 3500 Lumen, 6000k. You might have to call them to order as I was testing for them.

Reflectors

Yup. Mine are 3500 Lumens, no complaints here.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the update and review. Wonder how they'd look with projectors...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Out of curiosity, are those led and/or hid dot approved? I'm asking bc I had friends being fined due to using custom headlights, which are oem direct fit but not dot approved.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Out of curiosity, are those led and/or hid dot approved? I'm asking bc I had friends being fined due to using custom headlights, which are oem direct fit but not dot approved.
I'm assuming they are DOT approved? They didn't specify they were not..... I will have to check into that, good question..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts