RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received another notice that there are updated maps on sale for $99. I know they do this about once a year and last year the maps were still out of date (maybe from 2017?).

Anyone installed the new maps and can you tell what year the map data was from? I tried searching various sources but I can't find specifics about when the map data was updated. I doubt it's 2019 :)

I know about all the other options and what does/doesn't work on our trucks. This is about the Uconnect Maps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just received my update kit.
I haven't installed it yet.
It looks to be a bit complicated.
Seems you need to be connected to the internet with your phone while going through the installation procedure.
I sure hope it's up to date.
When I cross the new Tappan Zee Bridge I find myself driving over water...

·
Registered
424 Posts
How are these received? Do you receive information directly in the mail form FCA?

I have a 2017 (11/17 build date) so not sure if I have the newest but it must be relatively new..

·
Registered
134 Posts
The offer came from FCA via the mail.
If you search for it, you can find the offer.
I ordered the kit on line. The ordering process tells you how to figure out your software version and if it's up to date.
They send a USB drive with the maps and installation instructions.
I'm traveling this week so I'll install it when I get back.
I'll let you know how it goes and how current the maps are.

·
Registered
210 Posts
My little Fiat Spider 124 has FREE updates for 3 years. And we have a FREE program in the home computer that updates everything in your SD card. You then install it back in the car and go drive. The Ram/Jeep update is a mess, not so much hard as tedious. They could do a better job. I have updated my wife's jeep once , and $99 bucks is a ripoff.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
My little Fiat Spider 124 has FREE updates for 3 years. And we have a FREE program in the home computer that updates everything in your SD card. You then install it back in the car and go drive. The Ram/Jeep update is a mess, not so much hard as tedious. They could do a better job. I have updated my wife's jeep once , and $99 bucks is a ripoff.
What free program do you have? Will try that before I order the $99 update from Mopar.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What free program do you have? Will try that before I order the $99 update from Mopar.

I doubt that'll work on your RAM but let us know. They seemed to have locked the map updating process down so that you have to buy it from them. I think the 2014's might have had Garmin maps and you could update those but starting in 2015 it's a different story.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I took the Garmin GPS out of my 2005 Ram, works great. Not paying anybody for maps or to activate the GPS in the truck. Yes I am a cheap bastid. IMHO, for the price of these trucks, FCA should give you GPS and Sirrius/XM free forever!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I refuse to pay high dollars for a system that is always way out of date. That's why I have my Garmin.
Yes, I know about the other options but I specifically wanted to know about the FCA Uconnect maps, hence my original question and statement.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Strange that my truck is one of the early 2014's, yet when I check on the Mopar site it states the Uconnect and mapping is current. I would think the mapping could/should be updated, but they say no.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I received another notice that there are updated maps on sale for $99. I know they do this about once a year and last year the maps were still out of date (maybe from 2017?).

Anyone installed the new maps and can you tell what year the map data was from? I tried searching various sources but I can't find specifics about when the map data was updated. I doubt it's 2019 :)

I know about all the other options and what does/doesn't work on our trucks. This is about the Uconnect Maps.

Thanks.
I can not understand why Ram or whoever thinks the GPS is even close to charging anything let alone $99.00. Why would anyone pay for a huge disappointment and a completely inferior GPS. I'd pay money for waze or even Google maps.

Let's take the money, give us the ability (cheaper) to project all phone apps to my truck. I want my waze/Google maps, etc on the truck's screen. It's my screen, but it's religated to only a over priced / high dollar radio.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
861 Posts
While I would prefer Lifetime maps like on stand alone GPS's I much prefer a stand alone, or built in Nav, over using a phone

Reactions: SlowrTrfcKeepRght

·
Registered
861 Posts
from the HERE site customer service chat. This is as new as you're going to get for a built in Nav. I wish I had waited until this year

"Hello Bill, the latest map update was released in October of 2018."

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
from the HERE site customer service chat. This is as new as you're going to get for a built in Nav. I wish I had waited until this year

"Hello Bill, the latest map update was released in October of 2018."
If that's the case, I might get this update.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts