RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Just joined this group in hopes of some direction. I am an original owner of '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel and was also until recently an original owner of a '15 3500 RAM Cummins dually that I just sold three months ago. Started with a new '14 RAM for about eight months and had to get rid of it that lead to the '15, but that's another story. Absolutely nothing wrong with the truck. Prior, had a '97 Powerstroke dually that due to what my company does and the truck's appearance (very rusty), I sold it with over 400K. Never thought I would go to the dark side, but the person I would get all my vehicles from got me there! And I must say I absolutely LOVED the '15 RAM. Awesome truck! I've changed things with my biz and only putting 6 - 7 K on the truck each year over the past couple years, it made to sense to sell it based on how crazy the truck market has been. Had it not been a dually, I probably would have kept it, but have no use for duals anymore.

My problem that I'm looking for insight, input, direction is regarding my Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel. The motor blew Christmas eve night while I was headed to meet the family for church. It happened quick - like in 1/8 of a mile. Started rattling loud, engine oil light came on and then some gremlin dumped their silverware drawer into my motor. Luckily I was going downhill and I was able to coast off onto a freeway exit. As bad as it was, the situation couldn't have been any better. I live in MN, but it was a mild 44 degrees and I was only five miles from my office where I could quickly get another vehicle (unfortunately not a RAM!). Three days earlier would have sucked since I was 250 mile northwest pheasant hunting and the day finished up at 2 degrees.

My Grand Cherokee has 133K miles on it and has the extended warranty due to the emissions recall and modification update it had done in 2019. So I have another 15K miles left on the warranty or another 30 months - which ever comes first. The engine light had been on for about two days and it had come on about four days prior to that for part of day, but went off. It's happened in the past and it seems to typically be an egr thing and I've cleaned the tube in the past as well.

It went to the local dealership and not surprisingly they told me it would not be covered by warranty. They could put a new motor in for $16K or give me $500.00 for the vehicle - sweet! They had removed the oil pan and "found excessive material from the main and piston rod bearings." They also found a piston rod cap bolt on the bottom of the pan. The motor was seized so they couldn't do any further testing. Hence "the X78 warranty extension does not include the engine assembly or piston rods which is the cause of failure on this engine."

I've attached the dealer report as well as the warranty extension. Any advice is greatly appreciated. And if nothing can be done, I'll probably be looking for suggestions to find a used motor. I've done a little searching. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Steve

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SLT 4x4 Quadcab 3.53 with a cap
1,071 Posts
Is it worth it to put a rebuilt in there and then sell it. I don't know, but it sure sounds better than $500.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,586 Posts
I would delete those PDF,s and redact your name and address off of them before posting for your security.

Sorry for your problems. After 3 years of this constant news of blown up Ecodiesel motors, I sold mine last spring and bought a Cummins. I couldn't take it anymore.

There are new drop in crate engines available for reasonable prices. Find a good diesel shop to install and save yourself some money there. Those new engines come with a decent warranty too. You'll have to do some legwork on that.

Did they really offer you $500 for your Cherokee? Dealers suck eh? This is my 4th brand new vehicle, wherever you go they are all the same.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would delete those PDF,s and redact your name and address off of them before posting for your security.

Sorry for your problems. After 3 years of this constant news of blown up Ecodiesel motors, I sold mine last spring and bought a Cummins. I couldn't take it anymore.

There are new drop in crate engines available for reasonable prices. Find a good diesel shop to install and save yourself some money there. Those new engines come with a decent warranty too. You'll have to do some legwork on that.

Did they really offer you $500 for your Cherokee? Dealers suck eh? This is my 4th brand new vehicle, wherever you go they are all the same.

Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up on my personal info. Going too fast. I just updated the attachment. They told me it's worth $500, but I guarantee you if I told them I'm interested in buying a new vehicle the price would go up! If it was my dealership, I'd at least being having one of my sales people reaching out.

·
Super Moderator
3,844 Posts
Info & links for a new motor etc in here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts