RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined this site after looking into purchasing a used 2016 Ram eco diesel....thinking of walking away and just losing the deposit after hearing of all these issues guys are having especially with complete engine failures etc....this truck has some warranty remaining but I opted for the extended 5yr/100,000Km Chrysler Gold Plan warranty if I were to go ahead, just for piece of mind...I'm in Ontario Canada... I always ask guys who own one how they like their trucks and have never heard one complaint or issue about problems, dealer plays dumb and says these issues have all been resolved with re calls etc...I'm having a hard time believing them after seeing all the info and posts here...as much as I want the diesel, I think I will just end of buying the exact same truck and settle with the 5.7 L Hemi

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Sounds like your mind is up, which doesn't explain the post.

I love my '16, but it's tuned and been problem-free.

Just remember a few things. Check the enthusiast forum for almost any vehicle and you'll see recurring problems. More people with issues seek out forums than do those without issues. Don't fall victim to the internet paranoia, just go with what you think is best.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I thought dealers couldn't sell them do to the active, unresolved recalls. Maybe that's only in the States.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I thought dealers couldn't sell them do to the active, unresolved recalls. Maybe that's only in the States.
Dealers not doing something to make a profit...LOL

There are tons of innocent people in prison, just ask them, they'll tell you they're innocent.

We'd expect dealers to do the right thing...

OP - I to think you've made your decision. If possible, move to the 2018 ED...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like your mind is up, which doesn't explain the post.

I love my '16, but it's tuned and been problem-free.

Just remember a few things. Check the enthusiast forum for almost any vehicle and you'll see recurring problems. More people with issues seek out forums than do those without issues. Don't fall victim to the internet paranoia, just go with what you think is best.

Hello Bounty Hunter, thanks for the reply...I'm still thinking about it since the deal is still ongoing...I have to call the dealer back today, seems like its out of the sale guys hands...I'm dealing with the guy who took my finance application and got it approved. I will have to call him back today...they already put the charge on my visa even though I was told it was simply a hold, that in itself makes me think they are only in it for the sale...now kinda feel, could I even trust them to not screw up that truck if I decided to go through with signing to accept the money. I drove. good 5 hours out of town to see it as the dealers in my area didn't have the model, colour choice I was going for etc, plus I do find some that just have higher than expected mileage, some even sporting dents and scratches, one with a trailer hitch right inside the box...deal breaker for me when I saw that lol...

I'm not sure if I consider this internet paranoia.....there are so many postings going on and on about problems...I would hate to dish out $45,000 for a used truck and then find myself taking out another mortgage just to fix it..no thanks. easier to let someone just steal it and have insurance pay for it all once found...then just sell it as not to have issues again....I'm in no rush to buy, just wanted to add to my collection of vehicles...

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
You're in Canada? Tunes and deletes available there. Full delete with a good clean tune, or at least removing/shutting off EGR for now will go a long way, then upgrade to a full delete if/when you start having issues with the downstream equipment. Do what makes you happy. I still insist this is the best vehicle, even though I have nagging thoughts in the back of my mind about what COULD happen. I could get seriously hurt working around my house too (stitches to forehead last April using a stake pounder) and eat out of a straw for life. At least one of my family members would have one nice truck to drive LOL.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
$45,000 for a 2016 .......????
what is the mileage ?
what is the level of the coolant in the degas bottle ?
if you don't tow heavy look into a truck with the Pentastar engine ,
almost as fuel efficient , and no EGR black cloud following you , unless you tune the EGR OFF .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$45,000 for a 2016 .......????
what is the mileage ?
what is the level of the coolant in the degas bottle ?
if you don't tow heavy look into a truck with the Pentastar engine ,
almost as fuel efficient , and no EGR black cloud following you , unless you tune the EGR OFF .
Hello... thanks for your reply. It’s a 2016 Longhorn Laramie, all options except air suspension and sunroof, which I can easily do without. It is a one owner truck, 75,000 kms with some factory power train warranty still left.. they are asking $35,000. Taxes and the additional 5 year Chrysler Gold Plan bring it to $46,000😳 warranty would at least give me piece of mind after hearing about 3.0 L diesel motor issues and then coming across this site and really seeing it all... at first I thought it was mostly the first year diesels that came out in 2014, but hearing it included newer models too... hard to believe so many small issues and right up to complete engines blown😳😳 recalls issued, problems supposed to be solved but then something else😳 and repairs aren’t cheap, don’t need to take out another loan just to repair issues as they arise😳 everyone siggested go with ford and their V6, no thanks, and their diesel is even priced higher.. Hemi motor is my next choice, at least no issues with them, I’ve got a dozen friends with those and they never have issues.....dealer awaiting my decision today, I will lose deposit of $500 I’m sure but better than $46,000 and be thinking of issues happening at any time

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
they already put the charge on my visa even though I was told it was simply a hold, that in itself makes me think they are only in it for the sale
Well they are salesmen, so they are kinda in it for the sale. It's what they do.

I don't think anyone here can tell you what to do, or convince you one way or the other.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well they are salesmen, so they are kinda in it for the sale. It's what they do.

I don't think anyone here can tell you what to do, or convince you one way or the other.
Your right👍 To them it’s about sales at the end of the day. . I did email the dealer yesterday and spoke to the finance manager and he was actually very understanding and said he would look into giving me a refund saying it wouldn’t be fair to take my funds for a deal that didn’t go through... that’s a first.. that truck was a nice find, seeing as it has been there for a good 6 months, guys must be hesitant to buy it just as I was, perhaps it’s priced too high... time will tell if they lower the asking price... that would surely be funny since they would not even move a good $500😳😳 .. at least I have time now to continue reading up on issues etc... I’m new to this forum, perhaps after reading more info, I might just find the incidents are very few compared to the amount of those diesels sold here... I drive for a living and see them everyday, couldn’t even keep count...

·
Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
Basic tune & EGR cooler delete makes this a pretty damn good truck in my experience. Can you still have issues sure but you have went along way to stack the deck in your favor.

371,000 on my first motor until it pushed a head gasket likely due to low coolant from an EGR cooler leak before I got a delete kit. 280,000 on the second motor going strong. Both motors were worked pulling TTs & boats commercially.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your reply...I have read a lot about this basic tun and EGR delete...if Chrysler knows about this, why doesn't the dealership do this when someone purchases a used truck? I think I noticed someone posted a cost associated with it and it surely wasn't cheap, I read a post and came across a figure like $1500, not sure if that was in Canadian funds or US dollars ....I'm in Ontario Canada and we don't have emission tests anymore, they finally scrapped that cash grab!!

·
Super Moderator
3,134 Posts
I don’t know Canadian laws or ram warrantees for Canadian trucks. Only that a tune which turns off EGR among other benefits plus EGR cooler delete improves longevity & reduces problematic issues & repairs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What would you like to pay for the 2016? Give us an offer... some one might take it. There are many people willing to sell at this time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What would you like to pay for the 2016? Give us an offer... some one might take it. There are many people willing to sell at this time.
Hello, up here, they are going for around $30-$35,000 Canadian for a 2016 Longhorn model with lower mileage.. the one I looked at had 75,000 kms...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Last time I checked, Tower Chrysler in Calgary had a bunch of 2018 SLT Ecos with 1500 kilometers on them (they call them new) that I'll bet they'll sell you for C$35,000 (US$26,500) including all taxes and fees. I was negotiating to buy one until the latest fiasco erupted.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2016 bighorn with about 70k mi here in California. Not sure if would mach those prices...
I think prices are higher in the States.. I did think to buy one just south of Niagara Falls on the US side, with the dollar exchange, it came in higher by $2500 Canadian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got tired of mine "maybe" going when I mashed the pedal. Kept asking the dealer when the parts were going to get in. They didn't know. Every since the "Tune UP" recall the truck has been a dog, and a fuel eater. Tried to trade it locally and all I got was low low offers. When up to Dallas, and got and finally got an offer. Truck was purchased it new, had to take it in10 times for recalls and upgrades. Last Chrysler vehicle, I will ever own. I like vehicles that have been tested before they are released, not tested by the public. Besides my grandkids kept eating all the marshmallows, I kept ready in the truck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts