RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got tired of mine "maybe" going when I mashed the pedal. Kept asking the dealer when the parts were going to get in. They didn't know. Every since the "Tune UP" recall the truck has been a dog, and a fuel eater. Tried to trade it locally and all I got was low low offers. When up to Dallas, and got and finally got an offer. Truck was purchased it new, had to take it in10 times for recalls and upgrades. Last Chrysler vehicle, I will ever own. I like vehicles that have been tested before they are released, not tested by the public. Besides my grandkids kept eating all the marshmallows, I kept ready in the truck.
That’s why my decision gets tougher day by day. I walked away from that beautiful Longhorn and kinda regretting it. I have searched all over my province of Ontario, not even 1 just like it.. came close but it was. 2014 with the Hemi.... but it sold, I didn’t even have a chance to see it besides the photos online... dealer near me has a few but no Longhorn models and his Laramie’s are not the colour I want... he insists I buy a new 2020.... I don’t think so, that’s another mortgage lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello... thanks for your reply. It’s a 2016 Longhorn Laramie, all options except air suspension and sunroof, which I can easily do without. It is a one owner truck, 75,000 kms with some factory power train warranty still left.. they are asking $35,000. Taxes and the additional 5 year Chrysler Gold Plan bring it to $46,000😳 warranty would at least give me piece of mind after hearing about 3.0 L diesel motor issues and then coming across this site and really seeing it all... at first I thought it was mostly the first year diesels that came out in 2014, but hearing it included newer models too... hard to believe so many small issues and right up to complete engines blown😳😳 recalls issued, problems supposed to be solved but then something else😳 and repairs aren’t cheap, don’t need to take out another loan just to repair issues as they arise😳 everyone siggested go with ford and their V6, no thanks, and their diesel is even priced higher.. Hemi motor is my next choice, at least no issues with them, I’ve got a dozen friends with those and they never have issues.....dealer awaiting my decision today, I will lose deposit of $500 I’m sure but better than $46,000 and be thinking of issues happening at any time
The used prices seen on this conversation seem very high. There are 3 dealers within 45 min drive of Sacramento selling new Laramie Classic, crew, 4x4, short box, for under $35k. The used market is at a standstill as most still owe more than the EDs sell for new.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Basic tune & EGR cooler delete makes this a pretty damn good truck in my experience. Can you still have issues sure but you have went along way to stack the deck in your favor.

371,000 on my first motor until it pushed a head gasket likely due to low coolant from an EGR cooler leak before I got a delete kit. 280,000 on the second motor going strong. Both motors were worked pulling TTs & boats commercially.
Hi all, new to forum sorry if this is on the wrong area, but seems like Vern Diesel has a lot of miles and credibility with the ED and feels EGR tune is needed for longevity. With recent EPA shutting down some tuning companies, are tunes sold or available on the used market? Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The used prices seen on this conversation seem very high. There are 3 dealers within 45 min drive of Sacramento selling new Laramie Classic, crew, 4x4, short box, for under $35k. The used market is at a standstill as most still owe more than the EDs sell for new.
Hello, I’m in Toronto and they are selling well up here... even the 2014 Laramie models are starting at $21,000 and that’s with 150,000 kms on them. I have checked US prices at a few dealers south of the border around Niagara Falls and they were more expensive after the dollar exchange. I decided on used 2016 since it’s half price of a new 2020 model

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Bruno 55, I purchaseds a 2016 Longhorn Fully loaded (minus air suspension)with 70,000Km on the clock, and paid 36,200 Cdn plus tax, I thought it was a great purchase. Well your right Bruno, go to any Ram dealership and they will blow smoke up your butt by telling you that the problems with the engine have all been fixed! well I have owned mine for only one and a half months and I have taken my truck in for servicing 5 times, then my last visit to the shop found a serious problem, severe leak in the EGR, there are no fixes or replacement parts available at this time, I can no longer drive my truck, Fiat Chrysler Canada has put me in a compact rental vehicle until my vehicle is fixed, just so you know there are 10's of thousands of other owners in North America in the same boat as me, Fiat Chrysler Canada has been nothing short of awful to deal with, just walk away from the deal Bruno, the ecodiesel is just too big of a risk, and Chrysler Canada has a complete screw you attitude towards the issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello
Hi Bruno 55, I purchaseds a 2016 Longhorn Fully loaded (minus air suspension)with 70,000Km on the clock, and paid 36,200 Cdn plus tax, I thought it was a great purchase. Well your right Bruno, go to any Ram dealership and they will blow smoke up your butt by telling you that the problems with the engine have all been fixed! well I have owned mine for only one and a half months and I have taken my truck in for servicing 5 times, then my last visit to the shop found a serious problem, severe leak in the EGR, there are no fixes or replacement parts available at this time, I can no longer drive my truck, Fiat Chrysler Canada has put me in a compact rental vehicle until my vehicle is fixed, just so you know there are 10's of thousands of other owners in North America in the same boat as me, Fiat Chrysler Canada has been nothing short of awful to deal with, just walk away from the deal Bruno, the ecodiesel is just too big of a risk, and Chrysler Canada has a complete screw you attitude towards the issue.
Hello Bruno... thanks for sharing your info and I’m sorry to hear about that situation with your truck... I still haven’t signed any deals, I have been looking online and finding quite a few but they are selling quickly, even the 2014’s. I’m looking for a specific Longhorn model in 2 tone white and beige interior, so far most are shorter ram boxes, I’m looking for the 6.4 length. I’m still thinking of the diesel and if I go that route, I will spend the extra for the full warranty, if not, I will look into the delete option, some companies doing the basic tune and swapping out the ECM saying that will be good enough. My neighbour down the street has the 2014 with 300,000kms, never has engine failure etc.. he had one problem at 180,000 with that valve in the head and i think they replaced it... no tune yet but he says he goes through a lot more Def than before... he suggests just going for the Hemi... or if I choose diesel, get the full delete... I’m waiting for all this hype to die down.. maybe dealers will have to lower their truck prices, still high here, I’m in the Greater Toronto Area... thanks again

21 - 27 of 27 Posts