RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's everyone doing?

Picked up a 2016 RAM 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel last week and currently ordering all new filters & fluids as I have no idea what the previous owner or dealer I bought it from may have done. So far I'm impressed with so much about this truck; It's comfortable, quiet, has a ton of features and the EcoDiesel gives the truck a lot of oomph than I thought was probable.

Who's got some suggestions on a couple great "first mods" that are common? I'll be making my way through the site, especially the DIY sections. Thanks in advance to anyone who has submitted there, it's super helpful to see an active community when you get a new vehicle.

<>Ksnarf

·
Registered
286 Posts
How's everyone doing?

Picked up a 2016 RAM 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel last week and currently ordering all new filters & fluids as I have no idea what the previous owner or dealer I bought it from may have done. So far I'm impressed with so much about this truck; It's comfortable, quiet, has a ton of features and the EcoDiesel gives the truck a lot of oomph than I thought was probable.

Who's got some suggestions on a couple great "first mods" that are common? I'll be making my way through the site, especially the DIY sections. Thanks in advance to anyone who has submitted there, it's super helpful to see an active community when you get a new vehicle.

<>Ksnarf
GDE tune. Shuts of the egr and lengthens the regen distances drastically. All of this makes for a much cleaner and better motor reliability.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Greed with GRIFF4, get GDE, it reduces your REGEN's by a LOT, prior I was getting regens every 125-300 km, now I get them every 1000+ km. Also saves your intake from SOOT, improves mileage, and reduces the lag when you take off and gives you some added hp. If you plan to keep the truck for a longer time, it's highly recommended just to prevent the truck from killing the intakes with SOOT.

·
Super Moderator
2,524 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the truck. I’m sure you’ll get lots of suggestions on first mods but the one listed above is hard to beat!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Welcome!
Any pics of the new ride?

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Welcome-first post.

Seconds and thirds on GDE. Read what it is on this forum. Check your cruise control at about 15 mph. If it will not work until 25 mph, you do not gave it. Get it. Lots of clean and reliability advantages.

Also look into the current stipend with factory tune. Don’t think you are eligible but check. It is associated with a n AEM program. There is a section on this forum about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow..

Thank you so much for all this information. I posted this and then didn't come back for a few days expecting little response to an introduction post as-is so often the case, but see so much support and information from such a simple request is very much appreciated.

as for GDE, unfortunately I am in California so it looks like I will need to find an alternative.. but reading through the posts about it as well as the site itself, I wish I could use it.

I'll take you up on the advice for the Bilstein 5100; seems to be good aftermarket replacement and will hopefully minimize the excessive body roll in corners.

The running boards are pricy, but I'll add them to the list.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome! If you can't plug a tune into it, read up on the Pedal Commander. It makes the truck a little more responsive and, in my opinion, a little more fun to drive.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A tune of your choice, Bilstein 5100s, and AMP running boards would be choice. Matter of fact, it was my choice .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I second this on all accounts. I’m either going AMP, or seeing if a set of electric boards from a 5th gen would fit (about $500 cheaper than AMP)

Check ramforum.com too. They have a best mods for $100 thread that’s been pretty awesome, even if repetitive.

The tailgate assist has been one of my favorites - keeps my tailgate from banging open. Makes it safer for my wife and kids to open, too.

Love my bedcover. Truxedo Deuce. Roll up, or folds from the front so you can access an in-bed toolbox!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts