RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
I saw that last night as well. No real details at this point about the "redesign". It's still a v6 3.0L with a 90 degree orientation. They have mentioned low friction piston rings and a new turbocharger. Nothing else really. Did they redesign bearings, heads, intake, intercooler, oil cooler, EGR, DEF system?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Myself I’d rather the manufacturer (FCA ) slowly release data and throughly real world test a newly redesigned Engine than to quickly release an old designed diesel engine with just bolting on an EGR and saying it’s ready to go , this is the reason why we have had some many blown engines...

On paper/ Computers Everything is great, real world use different story....

FCA can not have engine failures with the new EcoDiesel, IMOP this would be the abrupt ending to this fantastic truck platform ....

There’s been numerous advances the past several years in reducing NOX gases in the combustion chamber before exiting the exhaust to reduce the heavy Usage of the EGR...

It took 10+ years before the Automotive industry figured out how to handle emissions/ EGR’s on gassers in 70’s until mid 80’s ....

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thought the Ecodiesel was a 60 degree V6.... one of the things that kinda makes it unique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I believe it’s self explanatory, First EcoDiesel engine design had issues with newer emissions requirements .... Now Ford’s 6.7 is on its 3rd redesign update,this engine is only 8-9 years old .. Self explanatory first 2 designs has issues....

Very rarely has a newly designed engine have no issues... Another quick reference Ford’s 6.9 had major head gasket issues, after 4or 5 years they finally addressed the issues with changes to block design and relocating water jackets and increasing the head bolts diameter which then they increased the cid to 7.3 which fixed it , and Ford still lives off the reputation of the longevity and reliability from that engine ...

I could probably name at least 10 different engines off the top of my head with design flaws that usually takes 4-5 years before the manufacturers address the issues.Another Quick one 351 M use to crack the blocks in the engine valley ,Ford didn’t address that issue for about 6 years, until about 1980 ..

I use to work in a machine shop when I was a teenager starting out in 70’s ..First job disassembling engines and vapor degreasing then quickly identifying faulty components so we didn’t waste any time/money on them ... You’ll learn very quickly where to look...

I use to completely dissemble and clean and inspect about 3-4 engines per day ...

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think that most everything they have advertised that they did was to regain the 1500 mpg title. Anything done to improve reliability, if they actually did anyything, they will be silent on since they never admitted to needing to do any reliability upgrades.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I'm really looking forward to the 2nd gen Ecodiesel. I wonder if it will still be called the Ecodiesel?????

·
Super Moderator
3,219 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
It’s almost appears that the turbo might be compressor forward. Maybe more on top of engine. You can see the cold side pipe come up into intake from driver side and looks like hot side over on passenger side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,219 Posts
1st gen was put in the 4th gen Ram. This looks to be redesigned & set up for the 5th gen Ram. Look forward to hear about reliability & cooling system efforts. Naturally first marketing will talk about the latest trending cool & cosmetic features but eventually we will find out and it will get tested. :D

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Manufacturer's are on a slippery slope when it comes to announcing 'upgrades' to their design. They want to do it in a way so as to not implicate themselves with a faulty design, causing more lawsuits by consumers and possible Gov't involvement.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Andre Smirnov of TFLTrucks just released this note after talking to to Ram Trucks head Jim Morrison sounds like a 2020 update may arrive. Note the words. "refresh" of the existing VM engine. So the new 5th gen and a somewhat improved VM Motori engine. Seems reasonable. Andre was quick to point out the GM Straight six will be a bit stronger. Andre himself loves Duramax GM Diesels and talks about his "baby" on some of his videos.. I guess that GM 3.0 ships sometime this year as well. So 2019 is sizing up to be a good year for fresh 3.0's.

WE WILL SEE. Nobody's driving either yet.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/04/report-no-ram-dakota-plans-yet-but-a-ram-1500-ecodiesel-is-coming-by-the-end-of-the-year/

1 - 20 of 55 Posts