RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Both FCA and GM are literally "shut down" when it comes to specifics about their new 3.0 L diesels. Sure there are some releases about pricing and power from GM in Canada. Still literally no serious pictures and design discussions with parts information.

I'm one starting to search for a replacement for later this year. Want lots of information and some feedback on just who and how they can be programmed to shut off the EGR and do a partial delete like GDE does with the current Ecodiesel. Without that information nothing is a good choice in the immediate future.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I really like the idea of an I-6 diesel, but I'm not a fan of the either of the GM twins or GM in general at the moment. Hopefully we will get more specifics on the 2nd gen Ecodiesel soon, otherwise I might have to start looking seriously at the F150 3.0 Powerstroke.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I really like the idea of an I-6 diesel, but I'm not a fan of the either of the GM twins or GM in general at the moment. Hopefully we will get more specifics on the 2nd gen Ecodiesel soon, otherwise I might have to start looking seriously at the F150 3.0 Powerstroke.

I know of quite a few of those getting replaced already due to egr bolts coming loose and going into the engine..

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm really looking forward to the 2nd gen Ecodiesel. I wonder if it will still be called the Ecodiesel?????
When I went to the Ford dealer to try a F150 Powerstroke, all of the salesmen were calling it The Ecodiesel, haha. BTW, after a 25 mile drive in the F150, I was not impressed. $68,000 sticker was impressive, though, mpgs and throttle response not close to my GDE tuned Ram.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
When I went to the Ford dealer to try a F150 Powerstroke, all of the salesmen were calling it The Ecodiesel, haha.
Funny but on my visit to a Ford dealer the two sales people I spoke with did the same thing. I passed it off at the time. Guessing the Ecoboost has eaten into their psyche.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I know of quite a few of those getting replaced already due to egr bolts coming loose and going into the engine..
Read of a lot (all) getting a recall for the bolts in the EGR, however have only heard of a couple failing, and not to talk garbage on FCA, but at least Ford has been straightforward about what’s causing the failure. It’s not a mysterious bearing failure.........just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
Tell that to the folks needing intake manifold replacement.
Yeah, those intake manifolds get nasty. They have to be cleaned or replaced eventually. Are replacements mostly on high mileage engines (over 100,000 miles)?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Who knows what is killing these engines. Soot is very corrosive and abrasive. It only takes one piece of soot in the wrong oil port to spin a bearing.

When the intake is so full of soot that the swirl valves no longer function, I would tend to believe that the risk of engine failure rises significantly due to contaminants in the oil. I know that after my GDE tune the oil looks WAAAY cleaner now than it did before.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Who knows what is killing these engines. Soot is very corrosive and abrasive. It only takes one piece of soot in the wrong oil port to spin a bearing.

When the intake is so full of soot that the swirl valves no longer function, I would tend to believe that the risk of engine failure rises significantly due to contaminants in the oil. I know that after my GDE tune the oil looks WAAAY cleaner now than it did before.
There's no doubt that soot isn't good for the engine, but I also know that soot isn't the cause of Ecodiesel failures in 100,000-mile engines, which was my original point. The Used Oil Analysis that I've seen doesn't show soot being a problem either. I replace my map sensor every 20,000 miles, but I don't plan to clean or replace the intake manifold until I hit 100,000 miles. I'll most likely have the truck traded or sold before then. Again, there are many causes for engine failures, but soot isn’t the culprit.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I also know that soot isn't the cause of Ecodiesel failures in 100,000-mile engines, Again, there are many causes for engine failures, but soot isn’t the culprit.
How do you know soot isn't the cause of engine failures? To know this would imply that you know the cause. Enlighten us.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There's no doubt that soot isn't good for the engine, but I also know that soot isn't the cause of Ecodiesel failures in 100,000-mile engines, which was my original point. The Used Oil Analysis that I've seen doesn't show soot being a problem either. I replace my map sensor every 20,000 miles, but I don't plan to clean or replace the intake manifold until I hit 100,000 miles. I'll most likely have the truck traded or sold before then. Again, there are many causes for engine failures, but soot isn’t the culprit.
You are replacing the MAP sensor every 20k and plan on trading before you reach the 100k mark, yet soot isn't the problem. In Europe, they do not use the EGR and the failure rate is much lower. Go figure.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Map sensor every 20k miles? Currently at 62k. Other than a egr cooler failure, its been trouble free. Yes occasional cel events and fumes in cab but my theory is keep driving until it dies or goes away. Up to this point it always works to drive through these events.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts