RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I am towing a small camper 3,500 lbs and I am having a lot of sag when I load up the bed of the truck and bicycles on the tongue. I have a tongue mount bike rack where there are two bicycles. In the bed of the truck I have 400 lbs of gear. We have a 2017 Big Horn Eco Diesel. I am considering adding the following springs or air bags:
Tuff Truck 1211 :
or
Timber Groves
Any suggestions as to which is better? Other ideas? Edit: BTW I am using an Anderson WDH.

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
If you are happy with your suspension except when you go camping I would get the air bags. You can inflate them when you need them and have your stock suspension when you do not. You also have the ability to add the amount of additional capacity you wish by adjusting the air pressure. Plus they are easier to install than replacing the springs.

To carry more load the springs have to be stiffer and it seems likely that the truck will ride stiffer than stock. ANd you get what you buy and have it all the time, whether you like it or not.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I actually have both. I originally put air bags on but we do a lot of long term trips (2 - 2.5 months) in Mexico, Baja, Canada, etc. and we were concerned about an air bag failure so I put the springs on. The camper is on full time so ride quality is about the same (I don't notice any difference) but as others stated, with springs and no camper, it might be a bit of a rough ride.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
922 Posts
Years ago I went with "overload" springs/shocks on my 1994 GMC C1500 pickup. With the 21 foot (Total length) RV and all the stuff, I had no problems with a Yamaha 700 Grizzly in the back of the box, I just tightened up the WDH till I was off the axle, it all worked out and rode well. I made two trips to Mexico from Alaska that way, no issues.

I would think the stiffer springs would help, but with your small trailer, you should be able to trim with the WDH by tightening up your hitch.

But for the price, I can see buying a set of those. While with my Kurt WDH and 1000 lb bars, at best I can be level (without the unloaded rake).

I wonder how the ride would be? If you go that route I hope you chime back in.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi, I am towing a small camper 3,500 lbs and I am having a lot of sag when I load up the bed of the truck and bicycles on the tongue. I have a tongue mount bike rack where there are two bicycles. In the bed of the truck I have 400 lbs of gear. We have a 2017 Big Horn Eco Diesel. I am considering adding the following springs or air bags:
Tuff Truck 1211 :
or
Timber Groves
Any suggestions as to which is better? Other ideas? Edit: BTW I am using an Anderson WDH.

Thanks!
John
Hi: row1x... I was lucky buying used. My EcoD. came with a set of red bags in the rear springs, and an air valve next to the licence plate. How nice is that!!! I actually had to lower the psi for a more comfortable ride when towing and not towing.
P1040991.JPG

Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
My EcoD. came with a set of red bags in the rear springs, and an air valve next to the licence plate. How nice is that!!! I actually had to lower the psi for a more comfortable ride when towing and not towing.
If your not towing/hauling, only keep 3-5 psi in the airbags, you won't feel them.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
There are other options you can take to help level your load. Weigh the truck loaded on a cat scale, or use a scale under the trailer tongue to determine tongue weight. You want 10-15% of the trailer weight as tongue weight, 12% being close to ideal. Remove the spare tire from the truck and mount it to the rear bumper of the camper. Transfer any other items in the truck bed to the camper behind the rear axle.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If your not towing/hauling, only keep 3-5 psi in the airbags, you won't feel them.
If I don't keep 12-15 lbs in my airbags when empty, the "hit" at the bottom of the bounce feels like I bottomed out on the frame. The TG airbags are not big enough to have enough air for a comfortable ride when not loaded. My Silverado had slab sided Airlift bags in it, and they were far better when not loaded, compared to these bellows bags.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Do yourself a favor and call Steve at Timber Grove. He has some of the best stuff on the market, and his service is second to none. I’ve had his self leveling coil replacement system on my truck for close to 3 years. Not a single problem. He will do you right, guaranteed!

·
Registered
573 Posts
+1 for timbren bump stops. 0 maintainence and does the job for me.. 6000 lbs TT and never have sagging issues. Ride like a 1 ton when loaded and rides like 1500 when unloaded.. Meanwhile no adjusting pressures and risking a blown airbag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I put new springs in my ED from KC spring. Easy install. Good ride. Stock height but now my truck doesn’t sag to the ground with a load in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
One after another posts showing praise for Timbren Bumper Stops. They work, are simple, easy to install and inexpensive compared to other options.

Forgot to mention reliability. Reliability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought a set on constant load springs for not much more than $100 from SD since I run a pretty loaded up toolbox in my 2017 Ram 1500. Took all the sag out and actually raised rear end 1.5" until I dropped the tool boxes back in. I can hook up to a 30' rv trailer with load leveling hitch and I get another 1 - 2" drop, but plenty of room before resting on the axle like the factory springs did. They are inexpensive and the ride is excellent(factory feel) with empty or loaded bed and hitch. Best Part is No maintenance. This is coming from years of being around air bags and lines, and relays and other things to go wrong. Not saying air bags not great solution too, but if looking for a no maintenance solution for the next 10 years, put in a set of springs. Keep the stock ones in case you ever upgrade to another ecodiesel in the future.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
If I were buying another pair it would be the Timbergroves. If you buy the Tuff truck springs you would be better served by the 1223V. The Timbren bump stops work but can be unnecessarily harsh when transitioning onto them when you don't have so much weight as to sit on them. Also in something like going over a bump stop. I'm just spoiled and won't go that route anymore but at least with them you never have to add air but you get that advantage with a spring also without the transition bump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I looked back, I did buy the 1223 springs from SD. I think it definetly helps to have a little wieght in truck. If the bed were empty most of the time, Im not sure the 1223 would be the best. But in my situation, I could'nt be happier

1 - 19 of 19 Posts