1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
GDE module mentioned at 3:21 ,at 5:05 also
6:20 to 6:45 ===> not anymore .....

comparaison résumé;
stock pre AEM 11.73
stock post AEM 11.86 (already warm truck )
GDE Hot Tune 10.00

Test track = 633 feet long .

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Hilarious!!!!!

Whole bunch of forum members should be watching and learning from this video. Super thanks for posting.

One - stock machine with a CEL for DEF. Common problem and there are more common troubles for those who saddle their Ecodiesels by trying to run stock. Did you also notice the coolant bottle? Underfilled. Where did the coolant go???? Maybe into the engine because of that working EGR mess? All that and more comes from running stock - horrible thing to do to a good engine.

Notice on the GDE truck the coolant bottle was up. Sure it was faster but it was also reliable, clean and far more satisfying to own and operate. The results showed just a bit of how good GDE is for an Ecodiesel.

Now the titled purpose was to show pre and post AEM tuning differences. That's a third issue brought out and showed. Even though the stock ECM was slow compared to GDE, the post ECM was slower than stock. So much for those criticizing me and others about how the AEM is not a bad thing for their trucks.

Sure an example of why you need to deal with the stock operation of a good motor chocked by factory/EPA tuning. Just the CEL trouble and the coolant bottle are two related reasons to shy away from stock. Add the AEM and you now have three. Read around this forum and you have multiple more.

Sadly those that do not have the way to keep their Ecodiesel running reliably already are in a bind to find some way to do it today. Sure hope those owners find a way and keep their Ecodiesels running reliably on into the future.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Good catch on the low coolant bottle Captain ,
still acceptable at the seem , but as you say , where is the missing coolant ??

and that other truck looks a lot like your ex-truck , box cover and color ,,, thaught it was the new owner ,
but no , Colorado plates , purchased used in 2017.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nothing definitive gained from this simple exercise, but I do have to give the TFL guys credit for trying, it's more than anyone else is doing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
kind of a fun test, but the pre-post aem is too close to call it significant, I'd argue the weight of the trucks is more of a factor and driver error.
If you look at the weights, the Longhorn is a tank, crew cab, 20" wheels, atleast 400lbs more than the big horn even with the cap. Are they both geared the same?

will watch video tonight.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
There have been enough forum members (that I believe to be credible) post no difference warmed up for me to believe that. Sure many have complained... I call into question their credibility when they say things like dangerous to drive and almost got me killed etc.

·
Registered
259 Posts
There have been enough forum members (that I believe to be credible) post no difference warmed up for me to believe that. Sure many have complained... I call into question their credibility when they say things like dangerous to drive and almost got me killed etc.
Couldn’t agree with ya more. Hadn’t had any problems out of mine post AEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Couldn’t agree with ya more. Hadn’t had any problems out of mine post AEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WE the mostly silent 9 % must be doing something or know somebody to have a great running STOCK truck both before and post AEM.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just had the AEM done. I have been tracking performance on the vehicle, and have not really noticed a difference. However I have ALWAYS had the bad lag when the Truck is cold. It has been that way right from the beginning, and was serious enough that I warned my wife she needed to adjust her driving if she took the truck in the morning.

Basically what I do to mitigate it, is fire it up with the Remote Start, and then go pour my coffee. Get my other stuff ready for work, etc. And then go. I still forget sometimes (tried to pull out in front of someone this morning - and it was a little close. There was the old 1, 2, 3, 4 - and then it goes).

Once warmed up, it is fine. The lag drops to a level you almost don't notice (basically turbo lag).

I have not tuned the vehicle - it has been stock since I bought it (I got it direct from the Factory).

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I just had the AEM done. I have been tracking performance on the vehicle, and have not really noticed a difference. However I have ALWAYS had the bad lag when the Truck is cold. It has been that way right from the beginning, and was serious enough that I warned my wife she needed to adjust her driving if she took the truck in the morning.

Basically what I do to mitigate it, is fire it up with the Remote Start, and then go pour my coffee. Get my other stuff ready for work, etc. And then go. I still forget sometimes (tried to pull out in front of someone this morning - and it was a little close. There was the old 1, 2, 3, 4 - and then it goes).

Once warmed up, it is fine. The lag drops to a level you almost don't notice (basically turbo lag).

I have not tuned the vehicle - it has been stock since I bought it (I got it direct from the Factory).
Even with the hot tune its not like these truck jump off the line cold. I live about .5-1 mile from 65+ MPH roads in every direction and I know if I punch it while cold the engine is going to sound like im shaking a bunch of marbles, nuts, and bolts in a tin can and be slow AF. To me it isn't a tune thing, its a cold diesel thing.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Always run an oil pressure reading on my Ultra Gauge. Was afraid to do any amount of throttle that showed the oil pressure above 50 PSI. When cold it would just come off idle and near hit that. Always waited until the oil temperature got up into the 150* range before accelerating hard going up to highway speeds.

Just thinking pushing things cold is a ticket to engine trouble. My past experiences as the same as today. It IS a diesel thing. Get those oil temperatures up and the pressures down before asking your engines to pull hard.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Always run an oil pressure reading on my Ultra Gauge. Was afraid to do any amount of throttle that showed the oil pressure above 50 PSI. When cold it would just come off idle and near hit that. Always waited until the oil temperature got up into the 150* range before accelerating hard going up to highway speeds.

Just thinking pushing things cold is a ticket to engine trouble. My past experiences as the same as today. It IS a diesel thing. Get those oil temperatures up and the pressures down before asking your engines to pull hard.
Totally agree with you on this one.

When static Self- load testing the newer locomotives, they won't increase RPM or load for any given throttle setting until the temperature parameters are met. You can put a locomotive into self-load & pull the throttle back to notch-8, but it won't start notching up horsepower or RPM until the temperature programming is happy. They are purposely programmed to protect these expensive engines from us humans.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Totally agree with you on this one.

When static Self- load testing the newer locomotives, they won't increase RPM or load for any given throttle setting until the temperature parameters are met. You can put a locomotive into self-load & pull the throttle back to notch-8, but it won't start notching up horsepower or RPM until the temperature programming is happy. They are purposely programmed to protect these expensive engines from us humans.
Oh yeah , I posted on this stuff from locomotive diesel engines protection before .
some members said there was no comparaison to be made between the 2 turbo diesel engines ,
they were easily sidetracked / impressed , a turbo diesel is a tubo diesel no matter the size , same principles apply .
you did load testing , I ran them out of the shop and over the road , saw the " be patient " messages on screens in Loco.

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Pretty interesting. I guess they could have swapped drivers too to see what effect that would have but either way, I never thought that a post AEM update would benefit the customer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts