RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
Just in case you were wondering I only swapped in the GDE for the off highway testing. I would never, ever, EVER run anything but the AEM in my eco regardless of if the GDE has better drivability, towing, reliability on a day to day basis and passed emissions test.

馃ぃ

Registered
Couldn鈥檛 agree with ya more. Hadn鈥檛 had any problems out of mine post AEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting comment considering that FCA has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix.

Registered
Interesting comment considering that FCA has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix.
I think the comment that you replied to is as fair as comments by people who are having trouble. I have no doubt that there are people having major problems with the AEM update. There are enough members here posting about it that it's not just a couple and they aren't crackheads or dragstrip racers. However ... there are quite a few of us who genuinely are not having any issues. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in the reports. The troubles and those with no trouble cover a wide range of owner age, location, driving style, vehicle usage etc.

What bothers me most about the post-AEM problems is ...... that some of us don't have it. Why don't we have trouble? Maybe it's "our" vehicles FCA should be examining to see what's different between ours and the one that do have trouble ...

Registered
I think the comment that you replied to is as fair as comments by people who are having trouble. I have no doubt that there are people having major problems with the AEM update. There are enough members here posting about it that it's not just a couple and they aren't crackheads or dragstrip racers. However ... there are quite a few of us who genuinely are not having any issues. There doesn't seem to be any consistency in the reports. The troubles and those with no trouble cover a wide range of owner age, location, driving style, vehicle usage etc.

What bothers me most about the post-AEM problems is ...... that some of us don't have it. Why don't we have trouble? Maybe it's "our" vehicles FCA should be examining to see what's different between ours and the one that do have trouble ...
There was a post theorizing that perhaps cetane/fuel quality might be the common denominator. Running with that I started using Diesel Kleen cetane booster in my truck at the maximum dosing level and unless it's all in my head, the AEM affects seem to have diminished. I'm going to finish up what I have and stop using it to see if I notice any change.

I do believe FCA where they claim their calibration is off...makes sense given the large amount of variables that can affect each individual truck. I also think that if I lived somewhere where it was flat and didn't pull a camper that I wouldn't notice the torque issues as much.

I do disagree with you on the comment though as he quoted and agreed with a post questioning the credibility of the reports....very closed minded (putting it politely)

Registered
There was a post theorizing that perhaps cetane/fuel quality might be the common denominator. Running with that I started using Diesel Kleen cetane booster in my truck at the maximum dosing level and unless it's all in my head, the AEM affects seem to have diminished. I'm going to finish up what I have and stop using it to see if I notice any change.

I do believe FCA where they claim their calibration is off...makes sense given the large amount of variables that can affect each individual truck. I also think that if I lived somewhere where it was flat and didn't pull a camper that I wouldn't notice the torque issues as much.

I do disagree with you on the comment though as he quoted and agreed with a post questioning the credibility of the reports....very closed minded (putting it politely)

As to the running issues ... I have long since wondered if variations in fuel blend or quality might be a factor. I couldn't think of anything other than operator style or vehicle usage that would explain such a wide variety of complaints.

As to the "quoted" post ... I read it as him being critical of those who say they "almost died", or similar. I've got 48 years on the highway with everything from two to twenty-two wheels underneath me, and my experience is that when someone says "I coulda' died", there's usually an reason that's related to the driver, impatience being the most common one and very rarely is it the vehicle ....

Registered
Some of us have to pull out into traffic and I can absolutely attest to the fact that even given a comfortable distance, and in some cases no traffic in view coming, that when the truck is cold, getting rear ended by someone not paying attention is a real possibility as you are virtually at a standstill without your brake lights on to give them a warning. I define standstill in this case as traveling at less than 5mph and not accelerating. I have to pull out into a 55 mph road right after a curve.

The good news for me is that at least that part of the issue seems to have been lessened for me because of the additive.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts