RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got some new tires for my 06 GMC from DT. Went with Cooper Discoverer ATP II (Discount exclusive) replacing M. Thompson Deegan 38s. New tires are E rated, factory size 265 70 17. Truck now has just over 289,000, tires may outlast truck!

So far pleased, obviously heavier tires and I can tell. Road noise minimal, ride well but I just replaced suspension all the way around with Monroes. Probably 2-2.5 mpg hit, but wasn't concerned. This is my work, hauling truck, fields and gravel truck. Ram is traveling truck.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Truck

·
Registered
900 Posts
GMC on a RA
Got some new tires for my 06 GMC from DT. Went with Cooper Discoverer ATP II (Discount exclusive) replacing M. Thompson Deegan 38s. New tires are E rated, factory size 265 70 17. Truck now has just over 289,000, tires may outlast truck!

So far pleased, obviously heavier tires and I can tell. Road noise minimal, ride well but I just replaced suspension all the way around with Monroes. Probably 2-2.5 mpg hit, but wasn't concerned. This is my work, hauling truck, fields and gravel truck. Ram is traveling truck. View attachment 90398 View attachment 90399 View attachment 90400
GMC on a RAM forum?????

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,186 Posts
Big fan of the pre AFM 5.3's.

We had a 2006, was a damn good vehicle, easy to maintain very few issues. Kept it for 240,000 miles. It got 10,000 mile oil changes with penzoil platinum and still didnt use a drop when we sold it, ran like a dream, smooth as silk and sounded great when you got on it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3 that is my hunting truck now. 140k. It has had a hard life. Lots of 4wd "roads". Lots of heavy towing to get stuff to the site to build our cabin. With all that it still runs well and has been really reliable. Other than routine maintenance it's had the valve body replaced in the transmission (very early in its life and under warranty) and just this past month I replaced the tie rod ends (did I mention the rough roads?). That's it. FWIW, since this a thread about tires, once the oem tires wore out it has worn BFG All Terrains. Latest set are the K02's.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,419 Posts
I had a 2011 Chevy Silverado, bought it brand new. I drove that mostly (HVAC) trouble free truck for 7 years and 79,000 miles. It never let me down. The 5.3 L V8 also towed well, it just sucked up a lot of gasoline, about 10 mpg towing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love this years of the gm trucks easy to fix and parts are cheap compared to other trucks. I have had a GMC C3 since new and it has over 333000 miles one it. Best handling truck I have ever owed. The main problem with it today is it is old and don’t have Bluetooth. I’m not afraid to take it any where. If you think the 5.3 is a good engine the 6.0 is even better and the truck has alway got around 16 mpg since new.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love this years of the gm trucks easy to fix and parts are cheap compared to other trucks. I have had a GMC C3 since new and it has over 333000 miles one it. Best handling truck I have ever owed. The main problem with it today is it is old and don’t have Bluetooth. I’m not afraid to take it any where. If you think the 5.3 is a good engine the 6.0 is even better and the truck has alway got around 16 mpg since new.
I am also a big fan of this series and yes fairly easy to work on. I worked in the factory where they made the aluminum radiator supports for this series for 11+ years. There's still many on the road today. Actually had an 04 2500 with the 6.0 for about 4 years, really liked that truck. Seems like that old truck has treated you well and 16 mpg is pretty good!

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,419 Posts
Hands down, the most memorable pickup truck I ever owned, in that it was the truck I cut my RV teeth on, was a 1994 GMC C-1500 350 ci w/4 speed trans. I drove that rig twice in two years, Alaska to Mexico and back, WITH a Yamaha Griz 700 in the box and the 21 foot RV TT. I had some overload shocks on the rear, it did this all fine using a WDH, but I never hauled the RV with the quad again, that only worked for a single guy and a cat.

Yes I agree, those older trucks were a breeze to work on. I drove that truck for many years and many parts, 2 trans rebuilds, I replaced the motor (myself) for a punched out 350 with an "RV" cam, it towed much better, I could actually go up a hill towing and stay in 3rd gear, barely, but the gas bill was steep in the 8 mpg range towing. 16 mpg was the best I could get using straight no alcohol Mexican gasoline. Mostly it was 13-14 mpg at best.

It was a one of a kind, some fancy decal really dressed it up nice, I always got compliments on it's looks. I sold it in 2011, and instantly regretted it. IT was still a great running truck.

Last winter I saw it in Anchorage, it had a big dent on the drivers side front fender, but still on the road.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hands down, the most memorable pickup truck I ever owned, in that it was the truck I cut my RV teeth on, was a 1994 GMC C-1500 350 ci w/4 speed trans. I drove that rig twice in two years, Alaska to Mexico and back, WITH a Yamaha Griz 700 in the box and the 21 foot RV TT. I had some overload shocks on the rear, it did this all fine using a WDH, but I never hauled the RV with the quad again, that only worked for a single guy and a cat.

Yes I agree, those older trucks were a breeze to work on. I drove that truck for many years and many parts, 2 trans rebuilds, I replaced the motor (myself) for a punched out 350 with an "RV" cam, it towed much better, I could actually go up a hill towing and stay in 3rd gear, barely, but the gas bill was steep in the 8 mpg range towing. 16 mpg was the best I could get using straight no alcohol Mexican gasoline. Mostly it was 13-14 mpg at best.

It was a one of a kind, some fancy decal really dressed it up nice, I always got compliments on it's looks. I sold it in 2011, and instantly regretted it. IT was still a great running truck.

Last winter I saw it in Anchorage, it had a big dent on the drivers side front fender, but still on the road.

View attachment 90450
Those are some impressive road trips! It was still a nice looking truck after all those years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts