RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at Cooper Discoverer A/T LT 265/70R17 tires for the Tradesman. Warranty seems great @ 55K miles and the price is in my budget. Anyone have any experience with these tires as to wear and road noise? A big question is, did these affect you mileage? I really like the Load Range E as it seems to stabilize the truck when I am towing my travel trailer. Any inf is greatly appreciated.
Canyon

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I have the exact same tire on my tradesman. They ride significantly stiffer than the stock tires if your put 60+psi in them.

I noticed running them at 40 psi like the tire shop put in they rode noticeably better but hurt my fuel mileage by a MPG or two. Running them at 60-65 they don't seem to hurt the MPG's as much but do ride stiffer for sure. They may still hurt my economy in town, but on the highway I still get about the same as before. They do make a slight hum but its not bad at all. I have been happy with mine and would buy them again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have them on my JGC ED. Lost ~2 MPG from stock Michelin's. At first they had decent road manners. Now at ~35k on them, they are getting rather loud. Wear has been pretty good.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
How big is this TT that you think you need a load range E tire? lol

You can get tires with a higher load rating than OEM without going to an E. Better ride and mileage.

·
Registered
46 Posts

You can get tires with a higher load rating than OEM without going to an E. Better ride and mileage.
Time you have a blowout with fracture tires on rough roads you might begetting load range E tire also
thats what there made for

·
Super Moderator
4,056 Posts
I have the exact same tire on my tradesman. They ride significantly stiffer than the stock tires if your put 60+psi in them.

I noticed running them at 40 psi like the tire shop put in they rode noticeably better but hurt my fuel mileage by a MPG or two. Running them at 60-65 they don't seem to hurt the MPG's as much but do ride stiffer for sure.
Running the tires at 60 psi will cause the tires to burn the center tread out faster from being over inflated. If the tire size is the same as the factory, anything over the pressure listed in the door will result in a tougher ride. I noticed a difference in the ride running 50 psi in the rears when the trailer isn't connected, door pressure is 43 psi but I'll bump the rears up for towing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Bounty,

I was happy to see your LOL at the end of the first sentence. Thought my dad was in my room 50 years ago for a moment.

Had LRE's on my Silverado 1500 and they helped tremendously with handling characteristics. While I love the EcoD, I am not a great fan of coil springs as they don't handle roll or yaw/sway very well. I solved most of that issue with 1000# air bags. The issue of the tire sidewall flexing and causing handling issues is what I am looking to resolve. I would be ecstatic to find a tire that didn't decrease my mileage, wasn't squirrely under tow load and had good longevity
My trailer is 6000# wet and a tongue weight of ~720#. If you have some suggestions I am certainly open to hearing them. Thanks for the response.
Canyon

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
E rating is overkill for what these trucks can realistically pull. My Michelins are rated at 2679 each which is plenty for the heavy tongue weight of my Toy Hauler, even when I add a quad in the bed. Drive axle was 4280 on one of my weight slips, with the CVWR of 14540. Never felt the need for a stiffer tire.

Save the E tires for the 2500+ trucks.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts

I didn’t go to E’s for weight I went for thorns. I live in a thorny place. On P’s you drive around feeling like your sitting on a pin cushion, with the E’s you just roll on.
BB4D06E2-2BAC-4417-A411-0A23E10A2B74.png

I run the fronts at 60 and the rears at 55 and they do wear just a hair more in the middle but not enough to worry about. The P-tires wore the same way unless I ran 35 psi or less. I’m pretty picky about tire inflation and wear... I did get 72,000 ish miles on the SRA’s.

for fun, anyone spot the critter in the picture?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I didn’t go to E’s for weight I went for thorns. I live in a thorny place. On P’s you drive around feeling like your sitting on a pin cushion, with the E’s you just roll on. View attachment 85118
I run the fronts at 60 and the rears at 55 and they do wear just a hair more in the middle but not enough to worry about. The P-tires wore the same way unless I ran 35 psi or less. I’m pretty picky about tire inflation and wear... I did get 72,000 ish miles on the SRA’s.

for fun, anyone spot the critter in the picture?
nice buck :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts