RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi you all. First off all thank you for the really early adopters to share their experience, very helpful.

As a big diesel fan (my first car was a 1978 Volkswagen rabbit GTD) I have been waiting a long time for a half ton diesel truck to arrive. In fact, I just can't believe this has not been done earlier. I have been in contact with about 6 dealers to find the truck I would like. It's absolute mind boggling how uninformed most sales people are! Even my 13 year old had to teach most of them on easy to find facts on the diesel.....

So what's your status you would ask. Well....I was looking for a Laramie quad cab but unfortunately they are not available with air ride. So the plan has changed to a Laramie or a Limited crew. I got it down to 2 dealers now. One of them has got a Laramie coming within the next few weeks, and the other dealer has got 2 "open" limited editions. sales guy says I can still change color and options. It would be about 8 weeks away. (I actually don't believe that....but it's what he said..)

For pricing, Laramie would be about $66K and the Limited $ 69K. Both dealers quoted $11.750 discounts off Sticker. For our southern friends, all is in Canadian $$$$

I did read about a fellow here from beautiful Ontario getting his limited for 49K + taxes. Kudos for him! To get that pricing here in BC I guess we might need to engage in some more extreme negotiating.......:cool: any advise greatly appreciated! (please stay within the law.....;))

Anyways, thanks for reading. Greetings from sunny BC!

·
Registered
13 Posts
your right about the sales people...the biggest thing Ram ever did...got the jump on the competition..all eyes on them now...and they have almost no knowledge of what their selling other than sales talking points...I spent 15 minutes talking to a sales person on just diesel basics while he actually took notes...and all I know came from owning a Ford diesel for about 3 years..Ram will sell this truck in spite of the dealers..until GM and Ford come out with their response to the ecodiesel..I like what I see in this truck ..I am looking to buy one soon with a little more research..but boy do theses guys make it tough...I told a sales manager yesterday..wake up about this truck buddy because some day you'll be in the background saying .."hey remember me I got the ecodiesel..while the buyers are driving to the competition...

·
Registered
556 Posts
You should probably try a little harder (not saying, just saying...lol). Get the invoice price for the truck you want (try car cost canada), and then start contacting dealers. I was not able to get the Limited down to 49K (I did not qualify for a couple of the discounts). But could get a Laramie (full load, no Ram Boxes) for 51, and a Limited (full load no Ram Boxes) for 54. Both would have been plus tax.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That was me who got my limited for 49702+tax.... it just came in yesterday.... I would goto a bunch of dealers then be honest with them tell them to give you thier best price because you are shopping around, that's what I did.... mine out the door was 57K for a almost fully loaded limited... pretty good price I think, worse case do the math and do a phone order in ontario or another province. I bought from ontario crhysler which I believe is the biggest volume dealer in canada (ontario for sure) that helps to buy off a huge dealer that does volume. My sales lady says they get people from all over canada doing phone/internet orders. Through them to save money.... hope this helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the great advise! Have been talking to 8 dealers here and it seems we are getting somewhere. One dealer who is actually very easy to work with says he has got one we can change as long as we do not change the engine, style and body configuration. According to the paper this order has been placed late December 2013. He claims the truck can be here in about 8 weeks.

This is what we got so far:

DS6R911500 Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4 149in WB 6ft 4 IN box
28 M Customer preferred package 28M
EFX 3.0 Ltr V6 EcoDiesel Engine
DFD 8 spd Trans
PS2 Bright Silver Metallic Coat
APA Monotone Paint
*Ul Laramie Limited Bucket Seats
MRA Wheel to Wheel steps
DSA Anti Spin Dif
AHC trailer Tow Group
XAG Park Sense Ft/RR park ass
DMH 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
4CP federal A/C Tax

MSRP: 69400
Incentives:11750

Price: 57650

Trade: 2010 Ford F150 Lariat S.Crew (extended Cab), 91K km.Average/Good condition. Some damage history (rear ended, $ 4500 repair)

Trade: -$ 24000

Monies going into dealers account: $ 33650
Doc fee rip off: 399
Government support: $ 4085 (+/-)

Not the best deal ever made, but the trade makes up some. BBook value for this truck would be about $20K. Trade of this truck ranged from $17K to $22K depending on dealership. (Ford, Mercedes and Ram).

Talking to most of the sales persons is like pulling teeth... Very pushy and not really willing to deal, It's like they have the only diesel 1500 available on earth....

Might change the colour to white as my son thinks silver makes the truck look older.......Also on the fence about the sunroof. One of those things that is nice to have not really missed. Might help with the retail value though...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Dude honestly imo that is way to much, but hey its your money.....oh and that salesman who told you he ordered in december and it could be here in 8 weeks is a greasy no good scumbag liar.....you can order right now and get it in 8 weeks or less (more than likely alot less) my order was just a few days more than a month....and you can order exactly what you want....

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You could get that same truck here in ontario for probably 50-52 and put 5 to 7 k in your pocket

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again for the advice! Chris, Spend half a day at the police station explaining the officer that kicking the sales guy in the balls is part of the negotiating process......:) But....I am getting better pricing and will try to seal the deal tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Lol great! Hope you get an awesome price!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got the order in! Did made the deal with the sales manager directly. Fast and to the point. Like it. Ending up at 51K + taxes (&70K MSRP) Happy with the outcome!

DS6R98 Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4
DFD 8 spd Trans
PW7 Bright White Clearcoat
APA Monotone Paint
MRA Wheel to Wheel steps
DSA Anti Spin Dif
XFH Class IV Receiver
GWA power sunroof
XHC Power brake control
DMH 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
4CP federal A/C Tax

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ggood price! Congrats!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Visited the dealer today and made some small changes to the order. Did take a closer look at the RAM box and it's actually a pretty cool system. Added it on, and changed to Silver (from white). Let the waiting begin..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finally got the order in! Did made the deal with the sales manager directly. Fast and to the point. Like it. Ending up at 51K + taxes (&70K MSRP) Happy with the outcome!

DS6R98 Longhorn Crew Cab 4x4
DFD 8 spd Trans
PW7 Bright White Clearcoat
APA Monotone Paint
MRA Wheel to Wheel steps
DSA Anti Spin Dif
XFH Class IV Receiver
GWA power sunroof
XHC Power brake control
DMH 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
4CP federal A/C Tax
Wow! That is a great deal RRENTAL. May I ask which dealer or city you got the great deal from. I am from the lower mainland and have run into a lot of "less than reasonable" dealers. Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Would be Rivershore Jeep Chrysler in Kamloops BC. Ask for Cody. He is the sales manager. You probably will not get this deal on a stock truck. Factory orders only. However, they are getting a fully loaded Limited in any time now. Did not wanted it because of the 3.55 axle.

Shook hands on paying them $ 31K + tax and trade a 2010 Lariat ex cab with 95K. According to KBB this truck is a 18-20K truck, so lets assume it's 20 K trade price for the truck would be $51K. Always a bit harder to determine when trades are involved, but 20K was what I expected. Car dealers on autotrader and such ask 25-28K retail depending on condition, options and such.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Would be Rivershore Jeep Chrysler in Kamloops BC. Ask for Cody. He is the sales manager. You probably will not get this deal on a stock truck. Factory orders only. However, they are getting a fully loaded Limited in any time now. Did not wanted it because of the 3.55 axle.

Shook hands on paying them $ 31K + tax and trade a 2010 Lariat ex cab with 95K. According to KBB this truck is a 18-20K truck, so lets assume it's 20 K trade price for the truck would be $51K. Always a bit harder to determine when trades are involved, but 20K was what I expected. Car dealers on autotrader and such ask 25-28K retail depending on condition, options and such.
OK thanks rrental much appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts