RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I have been "stalking" this site for a while now and have found you all to be a great group. Offering advice, complement each other's vehicles, great stuff.

As the title says, I am new to to everything. New to Diesel, purchasing a new vehicle instead of used, and new to posting on this forum. I am seeking guidance, I have never made a new vehicle purchase and for the first time in my life I am close to making one. Is there anything I should be looking out for? Classic walk-in dealership or online purchase?

I believe the Ecodiesel is the best next vehicle for me. I drive 20+ miles (highway) to work and then back home everyday. It is the fuel efficiency that truly got my eye on this engine. Being new to diesel, I understand that the upkeep is more pricey compared to a gas engine. But I just want to be sure the fuel efficiency is worth it. Are there any down sides to this engine?

Any and all advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Upkeep of the Ecodiesel is not much different than a hemi, if you do your own service, Not really harder to change oil and the fuel filter would be something that you'll have on a diesel, but not hard to do at all. My last Ram hemi was a great truck, so is my Ecodiesel.

Reactions: Newby

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello Everyone! I have been "stalking" this site for a while now and have found you all to be a great group. Offering advice, complement each other's vehicles, great stuff.

As the title says, I am new to to everything. New to Diesel, purchasing a new vehicle instead of used, and new to posting on this forum. I am seeking guidance, I have never made a new vehicle purchase and for the first time in my life I am close to making one. Is there anything I should be looking out for? Classic walk-in dealership or online purchase?

I believe the Ecodiesel is the best next vehicle for me. I drive 20+ miles (highway) to work and then back home everyday. It is the fuel efficiency that truly got my eye on this engine. Being new to diesel, I understand that the upkeep is more pricey compared to a gas engine. But I just want to be sure the fuel efficiency is worth it. Are there any down sides to this engine?

Any and all advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time.
If you have never purchased a new vehicle my particular advice would be to get pre-approved at your credit union BEFORE going to buy. I hate securing financing at the dealer. You have more bargaining power if you are pre-approved. Congratulations on your purchase!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Preapproval absolutely gives you leverage, but dealers are incentivized to get you to finance with one of their banks, so that can be played into your overall deal. Twice recently I went in with a check from my bank/credit union, and both times the dealer beat the crap out of their rates (though the CU was somewhat close).

·
Registered
487 Posts
A lot of Credit Unions offer buying services. I used one and got my truck for $3500 less than the best deal the dealer would make me. I walked out of dealership as they wouldn't lower price gave buying service VIN and 2 days later owned truck for less than my final offer.

That said COSTCO sold more cars last year than any dealership chain. AAA and other groups also offer buying services.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts