RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Grateful for this forum and hope to have positive contributions in the future.

situation:
New (to me) 2015 ED, 91k
-54 miles from dealer on day of purchase get CEL (P20EE)
  • took back to dealer and they are performing a myriad of SCR and associated sensor replacement free of charge
  • vehicle has had the two AEM flashes

my question is this: I’m looking for a reputable Dodge mechanic in the San Diego area to perform elective surgery on the tone ring. I feel like it’s going to go sooner or later and I’d rather just take care of it without waiting for it to break and then applying warranty dollars to fix it. Kind of reminds me of the Notorious Porsche 911 IMS bearing issue…

Any suggestions or quotes for the San Diego area if any of you folks have had this work done? Thank you in advance and it’s great to be on the forum! Best regards, Scott in San Diego

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
113 Posts
my question is this: I’m looking for a reputable Dodge mechanic in the San Diego area to perform elective surgery on the tone ring. I feel like it’s going to go sooner or later and I’d rather just take care of it without waiting for it to break and then applying warranty dollars to fix it.

It is my understanding that there is no redesigned part, not sure if there is a pre-emptive fix...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Concur on no redesigned part from what I’ve read. Intent is to get ahead of any near term failures that would compel having to be towed to the shop. Believe that replacement of the subject part would serve as a mitigation and piece of mind especially since wife likes to drive the truck more than her new VW. Additionally, intend to tow travel trailer and it would be horribly inconvenient to suffer a failure out on the road.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hello everyone,
Grateful for this forum and hope to have positive contributions in the future.

situation:
New (to me) 2015 ED, 91k
-54 miles from dealer on day of purchase get CEL (P20EE)
  • took back to dealer and they are performing a myriad of SCR and associated sensor replacement free of charge
  • vehicle has had the two AEM flashes

my question is this: I’m looking for a reputable Dodge mechanic in the San Diego area to perform elective surgery on the tone ring. I feel like it’s going to go sooner or later and I’d rather just take care of it without waiting for it to break and then applying warranty dollars to fix it. Kind of reminds me of the Notorious Porsche 911 IMS bearing issue…

Any suggestions or quotes for the San Diego area if any of you folks have had this work done? Thank you in advance and it’s great to be on the forum! Best regards, Scott in San Diego
Any Transmission shop will be able to handle this easily . And Probably cheaper then the dealer. Book time on a 4x4 is 5.4 Hrs .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input thus far guys! Now I just need to find a shop here in San Diego.

I spoke to a very reputable transmission place yesterday and the gent I spoke to wasn’t quite getting the gist of my service request. I explained that I did not need trans work per se, just needed “transmission-fluent” shop to effect replacement of a simple part.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Unless your truck is on the recall list, I wouldn't spend the money on replacing something that isn't broken. FCA seems to ahve a fairly good idea of which vehicles got the questionable tone wheel.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I've read posts where it was completed by a tranny shop at considerably less than the dealer. Also, that the parts were on BO for the dealer but available online and cheaper than dealer price. One fellow bought the part and took it to the dealer to complete his under warranty failure.

Here's a tranny shop reported charges. Don't know where in USA:
Total costs were tone wheel ($45.35), Transmission heater connections 53.40 x 2 (can't buy the o-rings alone, need the tubes), an4 qt ZF synthetic ATF ($115.80), and $589 in labor.

That said, if you want the best Service Manager in San Diego, that would be Michael Nevins at Perry in National City. I suggest you give him a call, you can trust his advice. Feel free to use my name as a ref feral.

If you decide to buy the part reported on another forum is:

RELUCTOR WHEEL. Crankshaft.
Part Number: 68493358AA
Price:$25.95

If I remember right that part info was from one of the Mopar dealer sites.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. Thanks everyone for the extremely valuable info! Mr Jensen if you are in the SD area I owe you a beer!

Last question (per NCSKIBUM comment): how would one know of their VIN was specifically on the recall for the tone ring? PO did not opt out of the 2 AEM flashes, therefore this truck was eligible for the W58 (completed yeaterday) and not the W68 (tone ring replacement). Were there some isolated VINs recalled specifically for the tone ring issue, or was this a general grouping based on range of model years? Basically, didn’t everyone get the AEM + W58 recalls?
Thanks in advance again. Brilliant info you guys
Best,
Scott

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If you were on either the W58 or the W68, then yes, your tone ring is probably one that may fail. However, if the recall has already been done, then you have the band-aid already in place. My truck doesn't show up on either recall list, so I am assuming I have a good tone wheel.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow. Thanks everyone for the extremely valuable info! Mr Jensen if you are in the SD area I owe you a beer!

Last question (per NCSKIBUM comment): how would one know of their VIN was specifically on the recall for the tone ring? PO did not opt out of the 2 AEM flashes, therefore this truck was eligible for the W58 (completed yeaterday) and not the W68 (tone ring replacement). Were there some isolated VINs recalled specifically for the tone ring issue, or was this a general grouping based on range of model years? Basically, didn’t everyone get the AEM + W58 recalls?
Thanks in advance again. Brilliant info you guys
Best,
Scott
Hi Nainoa88,
You can use the link below to check for open recalls for your vehicle or send us a message via private message with your VIN.

Rob
Ram Cares

1 - 15 of 15 Posts