RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just purchased a new TT for the family. Getting the truck sorted out for towing. 2016 Crew Cab Short Box Tradesman with factory trailer brake controller. I have the MRTuning stage 1 tune, just recently upgraded my shocks to Bilstein 5100s, currently running Goodyear Duratrac load E tires and I have an Equalizer WDH waiting to be installed. The trailer we purchased has a GVWR of 6000lbs (Apex Nano 208BHS).

Would spending the the extra money on Timber Grove air bags and/or the Hellwig sway bar be worth it right now?

I am also using the Edge CTS2 monitor. What info is most useful to view while towing?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes, definitely get the Timber Grove Airbags. If you don't get them now I bet you'll get thema fter your first trip.

I tow with:

Bilstein 5100's front
Fox 2.0's rear
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3's (D rated)
Timber Grove Airbags
Hellwig Sway Bar (helps towing but harms off roading, I will put it on the stiffest inner setting for long tows, the loosest outter setting for off roading, the middle setting for everyday)
Andersen WDH

I would recommend returning your Equalizer if you can and getting the Andersen.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
My opinion, as a recreational tower and just the trailer a sway bar and air bags are a waste. If you plan to load the bed and tow the trailer I’d get the bags. Would never do the sway bar.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My opinion, as a recreational tower and just the trailer a sway bar and air bags are a waste. If you plan to load the bed and tow the trailer I’d get the bags. Would never do the sway bar.
My TT is over 8600 lbs I get along just fine I don't think you need any add on's at all. Imagine yourself driving a semi-trailer like the big boys, drive a little slower, leave much more space between you and any vehicle ahead of you stay right and watch the traffic farther ahead than you would normally empty you want room and time to maneuver to avoid stuff.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
92 Posts
We just purchased a new TT for the family. Getting the truck sorted out for towing. 2016 Crew Cab Short Box Tradesman with factory trailer brake controller. I have the MRTuning stage 1 tune, just recently upgraded my shocks to Bilstein 5100s, currently running Goodyear Duratrac load E tires and I have an Equalizer WDH waiting to be installed. The trailer we purchased has a GVWR of 6000lbs (Apex Nano 208BHS).

Would spending the the extra money on Timber Grove air bags and/or the Hellwig sway bar be worth it right now?

I am also using the Edge CTS2 monitor. What info is most useful to view while towing?
I show the soot% build up, EGT 1 temps, coolant temps, and trans temps. For some reason the distance to REGEN isn't supported by the cst2. This is a known issue.
The Timber Grove air bags work great. E rated tires are good. I have a Hellwig sway bar and I think it helps. It is for sure WAY beefier than the stock one. Read Timber Groves recommendation on how to use a WDH with the bags.

·
Super Moderator
3,553 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the TT.

Sort of an unusual round of replies. Anyway while the Timbergroves might not be required with a WDH and that trailer it will improve the suspension control dampening and ride. Especially if you need to load the bed at the same time. I too use the Andersen but the Equalizer or most any WDH will work well if you set it up well enough to replace the unloaded steer weight.

WDH Mfgrs cannot assure you have access to a CAT scale so they show set up by measurements. This is normally sufficient gets you in the ballpark and should be sufficient to your trailer GVWR. That said its ideal to use a CAT or other triple scale that weighs steer drive & trailer axles at the same time to help with optimum setup or setup at the trucks max weight specs.

I read Steve at Timber Groves comments on air bags & WDH. I agree that often both WDH & bags are not necessary. That said it misses the point that together they are superior. If I could only have one or the other for only a heavy trailer it would be the WDH. And I can detail why. Naturally that's no help if you need to load a skid of ceramic tile and limited help if you have a combined load. From Steve's comments he has not experienced does not know the value in what a WDH can provide that airbags cannot. But I agree with set the bags at 5-7 psi then apply WD, torsion bars or otherwise and to CAT scale results if you are using one for optimum stability & legality. Finally add any remaining air pressure to get the ride, ride height, and suspension dampening support & control for the desired ride. fwiw I transport new TTs for the Mgrs plants to dealerships with 1500 ED 7 years 785k miles 12 months a year 47 continental states. Both WDH & airbags are valuable to me.

Reactions: TwoBobs

·
Registered
411 Posts
If you want don't want to break down for airbags, I have been very happy with my Sumosprings. No effect on the unloaded ride, but minimized squat to about an 1 1/4 inch. I'm towing a 7400lbs loaded TT. I have used the Andersen and the Equalizer, and I definitely prefer the Equalizer. Need to sale my Andersen if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the good information! I have some time, to decide what my next step is, before our 2 week family trip in August. We will have some weekenders before than to test everything. Leaning towards airbags for possible hauling heavier loads later on.

There is a CAT scale close to me that I planned to use for getting the WDH dialed in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you want don't want to break down for airbags, I have been very happy with my Sumosprings. No effect on the unloaded ride, but minimized squat to about an 1 1/4 inch. I'm towing a 7400lbs loaded TT. I have used the Andersen and the Equalizer, and I definitely prefer the Equalizer. Need to sale my Andersen if anyone is interested.
I would be interested in your Andersen Web. Send me some info please.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts