RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got back from a 2,795 mile road trip towing our 29’ 8”, 6,500 GVWR travel trailer which I weighed at a CAT scale on the 3rd day of the trip. Steer axle: 3,420, Drive axle: 3,660 & Trailer axles: 5,420 for a total of 12,500. I’m using a Andersen WDH and after several weighings before the trip I feel I have the WDH finally dialed in. I averaged about 15 mpg overall but 190 of the those miles were not towing, still not bad for crossing the continental divide twice. I held the speed to 60-65 mph and the drive was nearly all on Interstate 90 starting in the Seattle area. I am tuned and experienced 3 DPF regenerations with 789 miles and 777 miles between regenerations. With spring weather a bit late to arrive east of Idaho oil, trans and coolant temps were not an issue. We had to wait out 4 days of snow/rain and fog before being able to view Mt. Rushmore, we weren't going to travel that far and go home without being able to see it.

We were able to check both Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument and Mount Rushmore National Memorial off our bucket list.

View attachment Custer.jpg Snow.jpg Mt Rushmore.jpg

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Thanks for the report. I never get over 11mpg pulling my 30' TH, weighing around 8k. Your axle weights looked good, real happy with my Andersen. Have already replaced the plastic bushing once, I think I was cranking the chains down too much and it worked upward.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Awesome! Think that you got it dialed in! Certainly one of the places on my bucket list to see.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Amateur truck owner here. What are you guys dialing in? What's this andersen part? What plastic bushing cracks? While I only tow a 4000lb trailer these days, I can see that changing soon.

·
Registered
937 Posts
We were able to check both Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument and Mount Rushmore National Memorial off our bucket list.
Did you see Crazy Horse while that close to Mt Rushmore? We went there as a kid and Crazy Horse was just a hand and part of the face and war bonnet. Didn't make Little Big Horn because mom was at the end of her rope. Her comment was "We are out of food and out of clean clothes, but if we really wanted to go on we could." All of us kids voted yes, but I guess Dad knew the real answer since he pointed the car back to Nebraska.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you see Crazy Horse while that close to Mt Rushmore? We went there as a kid and Crazy Horse was just a hand and part of the face and war bonnet. Didn't make Little Big Horn because mom was at the end of her rope. Her comment was "We are out of food and out of clean clothes, but if we really wanted to go on we could." All of us kids voted yes, but I guess Dad knew the real answer since he pointed the car back to Nebraska.
We ran out of time and had the choice of seeing the Crazy Horse Memorial or driving the Custer State Park Wildlife Loop, we chose the Wildlife loop. I wish we had more time to see all the sites but the weather just didn't cooperate.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I would have done Custer State Park too. One of my few memories about going there is that as soon as Dad stopped the car, my oldest brother jumped out and ran towards the buffalo pen. The bull in the pen saw him and charged. I don't think my mom pooped for three days after that.

·
Registered
13,412 Posts
Reads like the whole trip went well and you got some new experiences.

Custer battlefield was a bit of a learning experience first time I visited. Seems with those dips in the terrain and them up top, the Indians could advance without the soldiers seeing them. You can't shoot what you can't see. The Indians could lob arrows up and down into the soldiers while lobbing bullets into those depressions was not reasonable to do. Here's a case where it's both the Indian and the arrow.

Getting out to see the world is a whole lot better than watching it on TV. Glad you participated and enjoyed.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Amateur truck owner here. What are you guys dialing in? What's this andersen part? What plastic bushing cracks? While I only tow a 4000lb trailer these days, I can see that changing soon.
The pic above is of an Andersen hitch. It's one of the few styles that provide sway control along with weight distribution. The Andersen is a lot quieter and can be left under load when backing up, unlike many WDH.

The ball in the Andersen hitch rotates in a plastic sleeve. This friction provides the sway control. The bushing can wear out and is easily replaced.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just got back from a 2,795 mile road trip towing our 29’ 8”, 6,500 GVWR travel trailer which I weighed at a CAT scale on the 3rd day of the trip. Steer axle: 3,420, Drive axle: 3,660 & Trailer axles: 5,420 for a total of 12,500. I’m using a Andersen WDH and after several weighings before the trip I feel I have the WDH finally dialed in. I averaged about 15 mpg overall but 190 of the those miles were not towing, still not bad for crossing the continental divide twice. I held the speed to 60-65 mph and the drive was nearly all on Interstate 90 starting in the Seattle area. I am tuned and experienced 3 DPF regenerations with 789 miles and 777 miles between regenerations. With spring weather a bit late to arrive east of Idaho oil, trans and coolant temps were not an issue. We had to wait out 4 days of snow/rain and fog before being able to view Mt. Rushmore, we weren't going to travel that far and go home without being able to see it.

What a great report! That is one of our bucket list trips too - something about the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho that's captured our attention. Maybe we're romanticizing the trip but we can't stop talking about it. We won't be taking the trip for a while though as we're caring for an elderly parent who stays with us now. But that's OK - life carries on...

We currently have a different model trailer but we're looking at an upgrade this afternoon - same manufacturer. I was doing some calculations to see how close to the GCVWR I'd be with the same trailer as yours and I came up with higher than weight than you came up with. But glad to see your real-world numbers... I can quit thinking about weight and focus more on the floorplan that works for us.

Sorry the weather was stuck in winter instead of spring. I presume your TT has the climate package keeping your water lines and tanks from freezing?

Bob

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hi: ncskibum... We did!!! Here's a pic or two to feast your eyes on.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

Attachments

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thanks dragon. I had remembered that he was going to have on a war bonnet, but maybe the artist changed his mind. Or maybe it was just a random thought by an 8 or 9 year old.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Reads like the whole trip went well and you got some new experiences.

Custer battlefield was a bit of a learning experience first time I visited. Seems with those dips in the terrain and them up top, the Indians could advance without the soldiers seeing them. You can't shoot what you can't see. The Indians could lob arrows up and down into the soldiers while lobbing bullets into those depressions was not reasonable to do. Here's a case where it's both the Indian and the arrow.

Getting out to see the world is a whole lot better than watching it on TV. Glad you participated and enjoyed.
Similar to the Battle of Cowpens. British regulars could not see all of the Continental Army and militia coming at them due to the rolling hills in the upstate of SC. Also could not see when the militia broke how they ended up flanking them and cutting off the retreat. Somewhat depicted in the large scale field battle from "The Patriot".

·
Registered
937 Posts
What a great report! That is one of our bucket list trips too - something about the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho that's captured our attention. Maybe we're romanticizing the trip but we can't stop talking about it. We won't be taking the trip for a while though as we're caring for an elderly parent who stays with us now. But that's OK - life carries on...
When you're that close, you should drop down into the panhandle of Nebraska. See Scott's Bluff and Chimney Rock. Both landmarks the pioneers followed on the Western Migration. Wagon tracks are still visible too.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry the weather was stuck in winter instead of spring. I presume your TT has the climate package keeping your water lines and tanks from freezing?

Bob
Yes the trailer does have the climate package, not really sure what that consists of but it does have heat ducts in the floor I assume to warm the underside. .We kept the furnace set to 62 when away and disconnected from the city water our last night when the weather cleared and temps dropped into the 20's in fear of the city water supply hose freezing. And wouldn't you know it, woke up at 3AM with the inside temp at 48, both propane tanks were empty, glad I brought an extra but doing the swap at o-dark thirty wasn't pleasant.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts