RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Looks like a clean rig. Those turf tires say yard work on flat ground. Having a big bucket like that makes it quite useful if you have the space to swing around.

Sure like the trailer. Looks right for the tractor and the trailer. Good pictures.

·
Super Moderator
3,133 Posts
Thumbs up on the tractor & truck both

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A big ol paperweight. That’s all the new toy is worth. What I thought was an easy electrical fix turned into pulling the head because the engine won’t budge. It’s well above my pay grade but no other choice really. If I can break loose a piston then maybe there’s a chance it’s saved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
A big ol paperweight. That’s all the new toy is worth. What I thought was an easy electrical fix turned into pulling the head because the engine won’t budge. It’s well above my pay grade but no other choice really. If I can break loose a piston then maybe there’s a chance it’s saved?

are you saying the engine is stuck/seized?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
RossCountyRam ... That’s a nice tractor,pre Emissions great!!!! Doesn’t really matter if it was gifted or a really good deal.. Not a really big issue, start by looking for overhaul kits, parts availability..

Very important!!!!
If parts are affordable and readily available your in business....

It’s relatively simple to rebuild your engine, just have patience and listen to your machine/ engine shop for advice and simple help..

Might be a good project for you and your son to do together, it’s a project if done correctly and satisfactory with a good attitude will be a memorable experience for life, I remember every engine rebuild with my father growing up ... My first experience with Dad I was 5 years old helping my father remove my grandfathers head and doing valve job on his White Cub tractor ... I remember going to machine shop ,picking up the head installing it and setting valve lash ect...
Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Very nice !!! Please keep us posted :)

For folks who do not know any better, RossCountyRam put his push rods and rocker arms in position to be put back in exactly same positioning as removed .... He knows what he’s doing.... (y)

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
My 1966 Ford diesel tractor takes lots and lots of fiddling. Near each time I run the darn thing something happens. 50 year-old reliability means little today.

You have a lot more years and life left in yours. Get 'er runnin'.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I was expectig pictures of the removed head ,
that is only the valve cover removed ,
first google search about your engine gave many results ,
exemple : TractorData.com Mitsubishi MT181 tractor engine information
If it looks anything like this engine in the video , it is a K3E model ,

============ ========================== ============================ ============
and this 2 part videos :

engine rebuilds take a lot of room to deposit parts everywhere during the job ,,,,,memories ....
brings me back almost40 years , enjoy , that kind of work brings big satisfaction in the end when all works well .
sure there is a forum site out there on those little engines ,
Good Luck Brady.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was expectig pictures of the removed head ,
that is only the valve cover removed ,
first google search about your engine gave many results ,
exemple : TractorData.com Mitsubishi MT181 tractor engine information
If it looks anything like this engine in the video , it is a K3E model ,

============ ========================== ============================ ============
and this 2 part videos :

engine rebuilds take a lot of room to deposit parts everywhere during the job ,,,,,memories ....
brings me back almost40 years , enjoy , that kind of work brings big satisfaction in the end when all works well .
sure there is a forum site out there on those little engines ,
Good Luck Brady.
It is the K3E model. And that is just to the valvetrain. This evening I will pull the head.

There’s a whole used engine I found (K3F) that I could have drop shipped, but not sure I’ll have to go that route just yet.
IMG_0645.jpg

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
before ordering a $500 + rebuild kit , better to take it apart ,
I have seen in the past during dissasembly , finding a cracked cylinder wall in the block ,
less trouble to get another used engine then , BUT that was gaz engines , maybe those diesel engine are built tougher.
Hey Kazimodo, I believe those are cylinder liners in back ground, I don’t have time to watch.. New cylinders and pistons rings Ect in this kit ...

This is why us old diesel mechanic’s love diesels , you can do a complete overhaul in frame, including cylinders...

I agree take it down before buying kit ..

Kazimodo you are a tremendous helpful person!!!!!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Thanks Donny , the Captain told me you guys talked about '' the Guy
from up North '' ...:giggle: , just trying to help if I can , we're all in sort-off house arrest right now ,
the net helps me pass the time ... that was an easy search ...
Brady has helped a lot of people already in the last 4 1/2 years , I figured he deserved the '' help team ''
to give him more info to save that great new toy .
I believe you are right , those tubes look like cylinder sleeves , so even if the block had a
crack in cyinder wall , the sleeve could maybe fix that , I have never used a sleeve in cylinder
so I cannot give a expert opinion in that regard .

the concern is the engine not turning , is IF the crankshaft is broken in 2 ... that's it for this little engine ,,,,
and I'm not sure , but I was under the impression you cannot just change main bearings without
having the crank needing a '' regrind '' . ??? so if those are main bearing on left side of film ,
Brady might need some machining done before reassembly .

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Kazimodo.. All Big diesel’s have cylinder liners , (aka replaceable cylinders) your block is designed to replace them when doing an inframe , they slide out and slide in a new one. Now really good small diesel’s also have cylinder liners.. So when you rebuild your engine you always have fresh factory tolerance’s , Not Just honing / boring and re- ringing .. This is why old diesel’s where considered for ever engine’s.. As long as the block was savable..

Kazimodo maybe you’re thinking of gaser’s and boring out the block and resleeving the cylinders , and now many of diesel’s went this cheaper route...Not replaceable cylinder liners, I like my old school rebuild with replacing the liners, I rebuilt one of my Deere tractor’s for around 1k , Everything new pistons,liners rings bearings gaskets
everything!!

Modern diesel’s that’s about the price of 1 injector ...

Maybe those are cylinder sleeves and not liners ? Liners usually have a top lip with o ring groves for coolant sealing...? IDK

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
you must be right , I knew nothing about diesel engines 5 years ago ,
except for how to use them ....I called it a sleeve but will call them liners from now on .
Turbo Diesel Power , 5 inch diameter fuel rail .....LOL

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
They are correct, Kazimodo you are a tremendous help.

The head is off. I will try and upload a couple of pics. It looks good, or so my untrained eye thinks so. Next question, what is best to soak cylinder walls?
image-2020-03-25-18:50:28-140.jpg

And I’m not certain my next move but thinking to soak cylinders overnight and try and turn over the engine tomorrow.

Thanks for tagging along.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts