RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,140 Posts
Congratulations. You will be mad you didn't do it sooner. They love to be worked, enjoy!!

Reactions: Lucky Dog

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
This sure looks like new. For a Cummins, it is new as my last one went near 1/4 million miles and was running great when I sold.

The '18 has a different Cummins motor than the one I have. You have the classic motor with the long-lasting and proven track record. Many still claim it is the best and the CP3 injector pump you have has great reviews for millions of miles. I have a friend that has what you have and flat out loves it.

Now you have a bit more engine "character" than the engine I have with a distinctive diesel sound. The new engine is quieter with lots and lots of mechanical changes. Are they better? Time will tell but at least nothing showing up after a full year or more of production and usage. Though my upgraded transmission has a recall for spitting out fluid from the dipstick, never read of one that did that yet. Yours has not recall or incident of that issue

You got the last of the proven models. That's a good thing. Now what the heck is that "man step" doing hanging down from the back bumper? I have a cut-off saw if you want to use it?

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Congratulations with your new truck, Nice!!! How did the numbers work out ? And did you look specifically for a 2018 Cummins, or did the numbers work in your favor vs newer Cummins...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations with your new truck, Nice!!! How did the numbers work out ? And did you look specifically for a 2018 Cummins, or did the numbers work in your favor vs newer Cummins...
I was looking for a low mileage 2018, mostly because my topper and toneau cover from my 15 ED will work on it and I don't have to buy new. But also because according to the specs, the 2018 would fit into my garage and the 19 and 20 won't. As it turns out, I had 4" to spare, so I suspect the 19 and 20 would fit as well. And finally, price was a big factor. I'm a cheap SOB. :)

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
That height issue is an issue. Though I can't really see a difference, getting in mine and a friends' 2018 is a different feeling. Before I added the running boards, you literally needed to crawl in and out of mine. Way, way too high. Think I measured something like 31" from the ground to the bottom of the floor . Wife and I could not pick our legs up that high without major issues and hanging on to things. Sam thing when we were forced to jump down and slide to the ground.

Stupid high is stupid unless you carry a portable step. I do. Hanging in the bed I have a potable, folding step. It is the only reasonable way I can reach into the bed from the side and climb up on the tailgate. Need that "man step".

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,140 Posts
Thinking my 2wd is overall lower. It just looks older than a 4wd, my wife says real close to the ED getting in and out.
It could be just ours, but the Cummins is noisy. Currently have a ticking sound, sounds like a lifter or a tappet at idle. When towing cab decibel is higher than the ED. Cap I hear 19s in the rv park and they are much quieter.

But no complaints. Its a real joy and you are one lucky dog to find a matching cap. I forked over 2k for the ARE in the picture, my century was not valued much at trade with car max. That's serious money you saved!!

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Thinking my 2wd is overall lower. It just looks older than a 4wd, my wife says real close to the ED getting in and out.
It could be just ours, but the Cummins is noisy. Currently have a ticking sound, sounds like a lifter or a tappet at idle. When towing cab decibel is higher than the ED. Cap I hear 19s in the rv park and they are much quieter.

But no complaints. Its a real joy and you are one lucky dog to find a matching cap. I forked over 2k for the ARE in the picture, my century was not valued much at trade with car max. That's serious money you saved!!
Of course the 109's are quieter. They are a radically different engine. First they have hydraulic valves. No more fixed mechanical valves you adjust over the miles. Engine block is different material, pistons and lower end different also. Different injector pump and more design changes. Mine is quiet. Not sure I like it that quiet as I think things should be going tap, tap, tap and rap, rap, rap like diesels do. Your '18 and earlier all make noise. That is normal.

Two-wheel drive is way lower than the 4 x 4's. No reason to raise them up for off-road clearance usage as two-wheel drive is not reasonable to use off road.

You will have great re-sale if you don't like the diesel sound. There is a certain pride in that sound that I kind of miss.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,140 Posts
Ok. Speaks volumes. Dealer in Bull Head city for oil change said it sounds normal. So no worries. Thank you for the guidance.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I've put about 300 miles on this truck since Friday, all I can say is WOW!
HVAC was right, I'm mad I didn't do this sooner.
I keep thinking I finally found the truck I've been looking for.

Couple of observations so far.
EVIC says 21.6 mpg so far and the truck has not seen temperatures over 15 F. Mostly single digits.
Truck runs cooler than my ED, 186-188.
This thing makes me realize how shitty the ride was on my ED.
The power......Well the smooth power is awesome.

Only complaint, and I knew it going in, is the height. I was going to ditch the side steps, but now I'm rethinking that. Funny, I wanted better ground clearance and now that I have it I'm complaining.

I need to upgrade the speakers, I love my music while on road trips, and I'll probably change the tires out before next falls hunting starts. Or at least try running these firestone AT's with lower air pressure to see it that improves their traction.

Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
My EVIC lies.

Always 192* coolant temperature on mine. Always.

Ride is way smoother than my ED was. Guessing that is because of the longer, heavier and larger truck compared with the smaller and lighter one.

Have had my tires in deep mud and slow, 4 x 4 engaged with no issues. I am not throwing away "free" tires for some intangible hope of improvement when I perceive no problem.

Pull hard on that handle to get yourself in and you will tear it apart. I did that with my old Cummins. Avoided it with the ED but need to use that handle again with his new Cummins. Hoping the plastic parts inside hold up better than they did with my old one.

The engines on 2018 and earlier models make noise like a diesel. My new model does not. Will it last like the old ones do? Time will tell.

Another thing that I may start a thread on sometime is there's nothing to really talk about. I mean, no major failures, hideous breakdowns, overheating, plugged and sooted engines, multiple sensor failures, DEF and regeneration issues, reluctor ring destruction, injector timing trouble, coolant failures and mega parts breakdowns. There's no major forum discussions as there only thing to talk about is so petty as to be little more than a boring topic of reliability. The HD Rams with diesel are no good for forum discussion.

Now there could be someone making a tune for them like GDE did for the Ecodiesel. So far I know of none so again, nothing to talk about.

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Took a ride to take the wife shopping today. Actually aborted it as a phone call - boy that radio/phone answering system is nice - came in and the caller told me he already bought all the stuff I need for a work day tomorrow. Anyhow we turned around and ended up with a pleasant 25 miles on the truck and a bit of a fun time.

When I pulled into the driveway I had about 200 miles on the tank and was showing a whopping 22.7 mpg on the EVIC. Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Bet if I fueled it right now it would be at or over the magic 20 mpg mark.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,140 Posts
Although the ride exceeds expectations, and getting better as it gets heavier, my take is the ED with air suspension was superior. Towing it was overall a harsher ride than the 2500. But lightly loaded the ED was like riding on cloud. Plus it turned in a much tighter radius as well. All expected, just a different take on how you guys see it. I think if I were to replace our 300c, I would look for Hemi with air suspension.

Reactions: Lucky Dog

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 Limited CTD
43 Posts
my take is the ED with air suspension was superior. Towing it was overall a harsher ride than the 2500. But lightly loaded the ED was like riding on cloud.
So this is something my wife is complaining about. I have a 2018 ED 4x4 limited with air suspension. Unloaded it rides nice but pulling our 7500# trailer is not nice. Based on CAT scale the weight is balanced correctly but the ride is very herky jerky and jarring unless the road is super smooth. Because of this we have been thinking about a 2500 because of so many comments saying 3/4 tons tow "like nothing is there." Do you think our experience is common with air suspension? And is difference in ride while towing that significantly better in a 2500? Otherwise, love the ED and have had no problems.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,140 Posts
So this is something my wife is complaining about. I have a 2018 ED 4x4 limited with air suspension. Unloaded it rides nice but pulling our 7500# trailer is not nice. Based on CAT scale the weight is balanced correctly but the ride is very herky jerky and jarring unless the road is super smooth. Because of this we have been thinking about a 2500 because of so many comments saying 3/4 tons tow "like nothing is there." Do you think our experience is common with air suspension? And is difference in ride while towing that significantly better in a 2500? Otherwise, love the ED and have had no problems.
I would speculate as you approach the max numbers for the ED, it looks good, all level and deceiving as the air suspension hides the fact its close to max. The rear bags are rock hard. Just not much travel left in them.

The rear coils on a 2500 are progressive, lots of travel left in them even with 3 inches of squat. But then again we areless than 50% of tow capacity and I just weighed it. The rear axle is still has 1200lb capacity left. The ATC is over 1200 lbs on the ball, we have a cap and bed filled with stuff.

• Its hard to explain. The ED is a very competent tow vehicle. I just didn't realize how much I was pushing it. This beast is barely breaking a sweat.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,686 Posts
Towing was a main reason i left the ED. Well, towing with my wife aboard. She bitched from day one because any reasonable trailer has a whole lot more input into the operation of a 1500 than a 2500. Now remember, we towed with a 2500 for years and with way bigger trailers. I towed with two other 2500's and pulling bigger trailers than I ever owned for a company that markets instruction trailers. The 1500 is maybe a ton lighter and gets moved around and up and down by some trailers.

As for power, no reasonable comparison. With the little 3.0 diesel, good as it pulls, a hill is an obstruction needing some planning and modification to climb. You go slower, try to get a run on shorter grades, adjust to the temperatures shown by both motor oil, coolant and transmission and prepare for stops and control on downhills with turbo braking or trailer braking or both.

With a capable HD truck you just go on the road and fiddle with the radio. It just takes care of the ups and down, starts and stops while highway speeds are chosen at your discretion.

So what are the negatives for a real HD Cummins? Fuel mileage NOT towing. Towing fuel mileage is close to the ED with a reasonable load. You still have to pay for that extra ton of mass you are mastering going down the road solo. Now in the long run you may keep it longer, find it more reliable, get longer service intervals and find things much simpler to control and service. Then at resale time you just might be pleasantly rewarded.

Reactions: EcoD
1 - 20 of 39 Posts