RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Tupelo, congrats.
I wanted air so I purchased a Maxcare warranty which will get me through my planned ownership period.

What issues have you had and if you don't mind telling, what was the cost of the issues?

·
Administrator
8,837 Posts
Made the change. As much as I liked my 2014 Ecodiesel, it was time to trade. This was due to Air Suspension issues - which plagued me this year. New Vehicle will not have this option.

Purchased a 2020 RAM Longhorn. Diamond Pearl Black. Picking it up tomorrow.
Congrats

·
Registered
13,673 Posts
After over 6 years of ownership, getting a new one is maybe due. When they run, they run well and are quite satisfying. Push the envelope and you don't know.

Plus, it's nice to have a new, fresh, clean and updated vehicle. Enjoy the new ride.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Hell im about to buy a new one to get the smell of sweat and azz out of it. Since my wife has been working from home my truck has been used solely for towing and work. When every time you get in your soaked to the bone it dont take long to get a stank!

Lets see the new ride!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Congratulations I just picked up a 2020 myself.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Hell im about to buy a new one to get the smell of sweat and azz out of it. Since my wife has been working from home my truck has been used solely for towing and work. When every time you get in your soaked to the bone it dont take long to get a stank!

Lets see the new ride!
splurge when you do and get one that blows cool air up your rear end. It is great and you never get sweaty ass syndrome in the truck.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Made the change. As much as I liked my 2014 Ecodiesel, it was time to trade. This was due to Air Suspension issues - which plagued me this year. New Vehicle will not have this option.

Purchased a 2020 RAM Longhorn. Diamond Pearl Black. Picking it up tomorrow.
Congrats on the new truck. After you have had it a while I would love to hear how the new spring suspended truck compares to your old air suspension. I did buy the air suspension on my 2020 and it is much quieter and much quicker to go up and down than my 2014. I bought it primarily for the ease of hooking and unhooking a trailer when you are alone.

ALl the best,

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tupelo, congrats.
I wanted air so I purchased a Maxcare warranty which will get me through my planned ownership period.

What issues have you had and if you don't mind telling, what was the cost of the issues?
When I first got the truck it was fine. Went 2 or 3 seasons without an issue - maybe one check air suspension warning, which ended up being a corroded sensor (Warranty). Started having issues 2 winters ago - the usual answer was "because cold" - which was not correct as the first 2 seasons we had really cold winters and no issues.

This past winter it was in five or six times. It would either go completely flat or would not go up/down. The issue ended up being rear air bags had a bunch of pinprick holes in them (from what I do not know), so nitrogen was leaking out, and moisture was coming in. Everything to this point was covered under warranty.

Then this past month, I started blowing fuses on the Air Ride. They replaced the relief valves on the air bags - $600 bill. That was the final straw. Of interest, when I was driving the truck to trade in, the Air Suspension service came on again, and I was flat on the front end, so obviously that repair did nothing.

My main concern is how they troubleshoot it. It is not tied into the ECM like other components, so they don't get error codes that point in the correct direction (that is my understanding anyway) - so it is throw parts at it until something sticks. With the 0% being offered, and with my Truck still having value (and paid off) it made sense to swap now.

I loved the Air Ride when it worked. Just don't think it is a robust enough system, and I think once moisture gets in, it will have nothing but problems.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on the new truck. After you have had it a while I would love to hear how the new spring suspended truck compares to your old air suspension. I did buy the air suspension on my 2020 and it is much quieter and much quicker to go up and down than my 2014. I bought it primarily for the ease of hooking and unhooking a trailer when you are alone.

ALl the best,
The ride is fantastic. I would say it is even better then my 2014 with Air Ride. There are a few bumps near home, that I would feel in the 2014 - that this one breezes over. It sits higher I believe, so probably has more travel available in the Shocks.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So here are my initial impressions.

1) Dead Pedal - finally gone. I know many will think I am talking about Turbo Lag - but I am not. My 2014 had a dead pedal when it was cold. You could press it to the floor, and nothing would happen for at least a 2 count (and by nothing I mean the RPM gauge would not even budge to indicate input). It would also cut out (briefly) when going up a hill. Once it was warmed up, most of that would disappear, but there was still a dangerous lag in pedal response that would hit from time to time - usually when thinking of pulling out in traffic. I simply learned to deal with it.

The new truck - is slower to respond when cold (which is to be expected in a diesel) but the pedal responds to all inputs regardless. ECM may limit what you can do initially until everything is up to temp, but much much much easier to drive.

2) Power - puts a smile on my face. This truck is definitely quicker.

3) Ride. Excellent. That is all I can say.

4) Interior - thumbs up all around.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Tupelo,
Agree 100%. Love the truck. I had the dead pedal as well but only after the AEM, not before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts