RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new here , in the process of deciding which trim level to order with the Eco diesel .
Or atleast which one I can afford!
Was told by my salesperson at a dealer on Long Island that the truck can only be registered with commercial plates!
He double checked with the higher ups and confirmed !
Does anyone have any more info on this?
Assume it's a weight issue?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just tried to estimate the registration fees for the transfer of plates from my 2012 Ram crew cab to my new ecodiesel. It will not allow me to register it due to the higher unladen vehicle rate of the diesel. Below is from NYS DMV website.... Oh well guess the fuel savings will pay for the increase!

"Unladen Weight (also called 'curb weight')

This is the weight of the vehicle itself, with no load. To find the unladen weight, check the driver's side door frame for a plate named "Title and Loading Information", the owner's manual, or automobile websites.

For "Pick-up truck registered as a passenger vehicle," the unladen weight must be less than 5,501 lbs.

The unladen weight of a vehicle other than a motorcycles must be 1,400 lbs. or more."

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have done extensive research on this issue as it a deal breaker for me out here on Long Island. A colleague had recently gotten a Laramie 5.7 hemi, and this vehicle is bordering 5,500 lbs. When he was shopping, some 5.7 Laramie were just underweight, and some with options like the ram box, of air suspension would put it over.
I am told that the ecodiesel weighs more than the 5.7 hemi! So any configuration of the Laramie....even stripping all options off including the skid plates, and step bars will not get it underweight. It will come in about 5,670.
Now, after they have built many of the ecodiesels, and they are starting to hit the showrooms(YES...now IN the showrooms!!!) , there is a lot more concrete information on weights & options.
So here is what you will need to do to get in under 5,500lbs, and register passenger plates. You need to order in SLT trim(or lesser), either quad cab, or crew cab, and avoid the air suspension, and ram box. All other options are good! I am close to ordering a Big Horn, but am waiting because so many are hitting the Long Island dealers, that I may be able to buy right off the lot if I find the color I like. First deliveries seem to be lots of white Laramie, and black SLT/Big Horns. Today in river head they received a granite crystal, and a maximum steel!!!
Happy Hunting !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 and had a 2004 Ram 2500, both registered in NY as passenger vehicles (even though the gross weight is over 5500 for both trucks). The work-around is that you have go to your DMV and when they give you the registration form, under section 5 or 6 (where it says vehicle changes), put that your pickup has a PERMANENT Camper shell and a Permanent refrigerator. You don't have to actually make said changes, but just write them in that section or just tell them that the vehicle already has these changes. This would allow you to register your truck as a Suburban vehicle and get passenger plates. This worked at the DMVs in Port Jefferson Station and in Levittown.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thread necromancy but I was curious if anyone was able to register with a passenger plate? According to this page as long as the truck weighs less then 6,001lbs, has no commercial markings, and is used exclusively for personal use it can get passenger plates. You still pay the commercial rate, but you don't have the restrictions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thread necromancy but I was curious if anyone was able to register with a passenger plate? According to this page as long as the truck weighs less then 6,001lbs, has no commercial markings, and is used exclusively for personal use it can get passenger plates. You still pay the commercial rate, but you don't have the restrictions.
I swapped my commercial plates 2 days after they raised the weight limit from 5500 to 6000. I was checking DMV site once a week because there was some legislation pending and I was hoping for a miracle They never passed the bill I was watching but they did raise the unladen weight for some reason. Cost $26 bucks. Go do it today!

Reactions: CR4V3

·
Registered
122 Posts
PS This is totally legitimate. No lying about having a cap or any of that nonsense.

Reactions: CR4V3

·
Registered
66 Posts
Go see Rich Link at Atlantic Dodge/Ram in West Islip, I have bought more than 8 cars, trucks and Jeeps from him over the years, prices are great and he knows how to treat people.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is good to know. I'll be printing this form when my truck comes in to be sure the dealer registers it with passenger plates. There is a road in my area that is non-commercial only due to a low rail bridge. Too many big-rigs miss the dozen or so warning signs prior to the overpass and they hit the thing. A Megabus struck it several years ago, killing passengers on the bus. As a result NO commercial vehicles can drive down the road (regardless the vehicles height). I vowed that when I replace my Ram 2500 that I'd make sure I don't have commercial plates.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Sure do remember how much trouble Long Island was to deliver those fire safety trailers. You were not allowed to even run many roads until 11 PM when towing large trailers.

Crazy place much related to California.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'm in CA but i don't have commercial plates. Might get hit with some kind of extra Reg fee but the plates are the same

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
PA does not have a commercial plate. The same truck tag could be on a Ford Ranger or a tractor trailer. The only difference is the GVWR/ GCWR ( this does not include apportioned plates though, that's a different animal)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts