RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Vern sorry to see you loose your second engine... Cracking heads in between the valves was a Very common occurrence with certain small model block heads , with Chevy and Ford’s in the 70’s And Early 80’s when I was working in a machine shop... Basically only place to crack ....Seen hundreds...
It was due to overheating the engines,...

I never seen a mechanic tighten a glow plug with a impact? Are you guessing this ?

Did you over heat your engine running low on coolant due to leaking water pump?

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Gputah, I will get the HD Cummins for longevity and to afford more towing options. The ED was purchased before I came to this business. But my son will be looking for a new gen Ecodiesel shortly. He has a pilot car business and rarely tows anything but will need the bed. He has about 250k miles on his 2017 diesel Chevy Cruze.

HnG, I was hoping you would chime in. Using the impact was only speculation in part due to the cracks and what I have seen in their shop. Pretty sure its not been run too low on coolant as I am a faithful degas tank checker at fuel stops (due to past experience) and tow with the temps screen up.

I have only ever had to add less than a gallon at a time but perhaps that is due to how the degas system works. When you have a leak but it doesn't run warm. If you stop after 5 hours & 350 miles of towing and you can add some more coolant. Well It's hard to say did you fully fill the system the first time you noticed it low. I can say this motor has never been overheated. It's never been in derate. But it has been run very warm 240 - 242 towing up a long grades. Thoughts? Only looking for experienced objective opinion.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Vern... I’m Not doubting the mechanic used an impact , ( I wouldn’t) Also cracked piston and the head is cracked in between almost all the valves? No telling... I’ve seen a mechanic cut a cross member with torches to remove a transmission, because the bolts were rusty...
415k on the engine , not much arguing room...

The head’s cracked and junk ,just for a little peace of the mind , Why don’t you put an impact on the other glow plugs and tighten it up to see if you can crack the head ?

Moving up to a Cummins will be much cheaper in overall maintenance cost to keep on the road ... Injectors are costly they usually last 400k + It’s A Very Well proven Commercial Duty engine...

If jumping up to a HD Cummins?
What do you buy 2500? 3500? Which transmission?

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
HnG Well I wasn't about to argue only inquire with service manager and see what he thought and said. But I hear what you are saying with how do you argue with a 423k mile motor and yep bet I cannot make the other head crack.

Currently leaning towards the 2500. Company I contract through says the 2500 class is more favorable for us with respects to some commercial laws. Some things you wrote about the Aisin transmission. And a friends 2019 2500’s motor/transmission tune. EGR is off mileage is slightly improved and it actually finally makes the old 68RFE shift without being clunky. Also either the optional rear air ride or the coils plus airbag assist appeals to me over the stiffer harsher leaf spring 3500.

I now plan to run the ED at least another 100k while it’s under warranty before signing the line on an HD. Old motor has a brand new turbo, water pump, & glow plug for parts or sale. Somebody might like that intake to replaced their government tuned soot filled fire hazard.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This should be a stickied thread on the front page of this forum. VernDiesel... you have gathered the info, stated facts and backed it all up with photos. This is the kind of info Ram could/should use to fix any engine issue found. I hope to get 300k outta my rig before i tear it down an refresh the motor. Thanks again for posting fact.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
I think Vern has been an inspiration to everyone. He was the reason why I started checking coolant levels regularly. I do a lot of towing, so I figured my EGR cooler wouldn't last long. Sure enough, I had to replace my first EGR cooler at 41,000 miles!

I hate to see Vern's second engine failure. I was really hoping his engine would hit 500,000 miles. I'm now hoping that James will hit that milestone.

So, if I understand correctly, Vern is going to put in a third engine and take advantage of a 100,000 mile warranty, right?

Reactions: 3DHawkeye and KRom

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think Vern has been an inspiration to everyone. He was the reason why I started checking coolant levels regularly. I do a lot of towing, so I figured my EGR cooler wouldn't last long. Sure enough, I had to replace my first EGR cooler at 41,000 miles!

I hate to see Vern's second engine failure. I was really hoping his engine would hit 500,000 miles. I'm now hoping that James will hit that milestone.

So, if I understand correctly, Vern is going to put in a third engine and take advantage of a 100,000 mile warranty, right?
That was my understanding of his plan and in the future making the jump to a 2500 Cummins.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yep.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
The price is tough to beat! You're getting a NEW CP4 pump, NEW injectors, and a NEW turbo with a NEW engine! No core charge and free shipping? CHEAP!

·
Registered
497 Posts
@VernDiesel like others here I have come to appreciate and value your experience with the ED and the ways to get the most out of the truck. I had also hoped you’d be able to get to 500K on the second engine but damn - 420,000+ miles from a “light duty” engine that’s spent its life towing trailers across country is frankly incredible.

I know your plan is to run the new engine 100,000 miles and then move to an HD - and for you 100K happens very quickly - but I sure hope we’ll have your wisdom to lean on for a long time even after you transition to the Cummins.

Thanks for all you do - I for one appreciate you greatly!

Bob

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Truck just turned 800k miles. Motor number 3 will turn 100k miles 6k miles before turning 900K on truck. Warranty will be gone at the 100k point but barring engine or fuel system failure I plan to run it to a million miles before making it the backup truck. Even if I buy a new truck prior to that point.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Truck just turned 800k miles. Motor number 3 will turn 100k miles 6k miles before turning 900K on truck. Warranty will be gone at the 100k point but barring engine or fuel system failure I plan to run it to a million miles before making it the backup truck. Even if I buy a new truck prior to that point.
Great, Vern do you run the GDE hot tune and do you have block off plates installed on your EGR cooler?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,149 Posts
Yep.

Could you share what your most recent cost total out of pocket was for your last engine? I guess we know what the engine costs, but what did it run you to have it installed and where did you have it done?

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Bat, GDE EGR off Hot tune plus no eco delete's EGR cooler delete kit, so yes it has the block off plates one of which you can see in the pics.

MAS After 10% commercial account labor discount it was $1500 for the remove & replace. $7500 for the engine so $9k. But if you are paying a dealership to first diagnose the status of your old engine that would be on top or if they have to replace dry rotted hoses etc. They won't overwrite and have no issue with your tune or EGR cooler delete etc. Country dealership, EcoD knowledgeable service manager & service writer with good diesel mechanics. As new car dealerships go this is a good one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tuned with EGR turned off from day one and nothing but Rotella T6. Cracked leaking valve cover I had it replaced. Lol all the dealership mechanics gathered around and marveled how clean and wear free at 415,000. :LOL: These are often filled with sludge from a functional EGR and or running uber cheap bulk small car oil for a gas motor from a cheapie lube shop.

View attachment 89250

It obviously has wear but nothing beyond normal and looks like Rotella keeps it clean and wears well.
I was just wondering what your feelings are on the new GDE emission tune do you think it is satisfactory as far as the longevity of the motor or do you think a person needs to shut the EGR valve off immediately Thank you

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GDE Hot Tune, Rebel front end conversion.
289 Posts
I was just wondering what your feelings are on the new GDE emission tune do you think it is satisfactory as far as the longevity of the motor or do you think a person needs to shut the EGR valve off immediately Thank you
I know you asked Vern, and I’d like to see his response as well. My opinion is this. I personally don’t want a functioning egr as a lot of my work commute is very short. My truck does get to take longer trips and some trips while towing. I was always annoyed with when I needed to regen but my trip wasn’t going to allow it. With shorter trips your intake manifold will clog up quicker. Yes you can argue I shouldn’t have gotten a diesel. I’ve since purchased a GDE off-road tune and don’t have to deal with any of this.

if your commute is longer, say 15-20 miles each way for work. Then I think you should be ok. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but the soot never showed up in significant numbers on anyone’s oil analysis. From what I understand the new GDE tune is a lot cleaner that the stock tune.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
The problem isn't EGR as much as a dirty tune and inadequate oil. The GDE EPA tune significantly cleans up the combustion. Engine oil, like Rotella, has a higher NOACK than Amsoil, Redline, and a few others. Poor combustion and oil vapors is what gets into your intake. Rotella T6 does a good job of protecting the engine internals, but it's NOACK is probably around 13%. Shell no longer publishes their NOACK, so I have a feeling it's around 13. People who run Amsoil or Redline (group 4/5 oils) will have a much cleaner intake, intercooler, and intercooler pipes.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts