RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
My preference would be to turn the EGR off as before. That said I suspect the new emissions system is much better than before and I have faith that GDE will provide a much cleaner even EGR on tune than factory. Regular oil changes, good oil, run regularly at full operating temp should all help the engine to live a far longer life than most will ever keep it for.

As Bio said dirty tune & (especially cheap non spec inappropriate) oil has been a problem at least with the last gen ED. And while I don’t argue that group 4/5 oils are better than say T6 well as you can see from the pic of my intake at 423k it was still clean as a whistle with only ever T6 put in the motor. So I don’t see T6 as a weak link unless you are attempting 30k change intervals. Zippy lube generic oil for 4 cylinder gas motors probably is. How much of that crap has been run through ED motors. Enough that it’s likely IMO a contributing factor in SOME of the bearing failures.

Reactions: DATA and Dennisvab

·
Registered
11 Posts
My preference would be to turn the EGR off as before. That said I suspect the new emissions system is much better than before and I have faith that GDE will provide a much cleaner even EGR on tune than factory. Regular oil changes, good oil, run regularly at full operating temp should all help the engine to live a far longer life than most will ever keep it for.

As Bio said dirty tune & (especially cheap non spec inappropriate) oil has been a problem at least with the last gen ED. And while I don’t argue that group 4/5 oils are better than say T6 well as you can see from the pic of my intake at 423k it was still clean as a whistle with only ever T6 put in the motor. So I don’t see T6 as a weak link unless you are attempting 30k change intervals. Zippy lube generic oil for 4 cylinder gas motors probably is. How much of that crap has been run through ED motors. Enough that it’s likely IMO a contributing factor in SOME of the bearing failures.
Good morning Vern my emission system is the old emission system because mines a 2016 but it does have a brand new engine that’s why I was wondering what I should do for survival. So I guess the question is now do you just shut the EGR off or is it better to do a complete delete thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
So I guess the question is now do you just shut the EGR off or is it better to do a complete delete thanks again
You can buy a tune that will disable the EGR. Just know that it is illegal.

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
DATA EGR off is ideal as GDE did before government intervention. That said I’m sure GDE’s gov compliant tune still greatly cleans up the tune. Put with proper oil, changes, and limited short commutes in a super cold climate no reason the gen 2 shouldn’t last a very long time. In fact many factory tunes with proper oil changes etc have lasted well over 200k. But no doubt tune should extend life and do a much better job of keeping people out of the dealer service bay. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
DATA EGR off is ideal as GDE did before government intervention. That said I’m sure GDE’s gov compliant tune still greatly cleans up the tune. Put with proper oil, changes, and limited short commutes in a super cold climate no reason the gen 2 shouldn’t last a very long time. In fact many factory tunes with proper oil changes etc have lasted well over 200k. But no doubt tune should extend life and do a much better job of keeping people out of the dealer service bay. Just my 2 cents.
Thank you for your honesty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you for your honesty
Vern if a person wanted to go with shutting the egr off which tune would you recommend. Thank You

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
I don’t have a recommendation for that. You never read about anyone being unhappy with any of the aftermarket tunes though they all have what I perceive as minor differences. I got both the engine & transmission tune plus turbo brake and would recommend that route. Some have been impressed with MR Tuning & SKT. Gputah has owned towed with and tested several and given reviews here somewhere. Perhaps someone has a link. Anyway he can likely give you the pros & cons to each.

Reactions: DATA
41 - 47 of 47 Posts