RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So as I put in the title... should I go with a regular spring truck and add air bags? Or go with the factory 4-corner air suspension?

I tow a ~6700lbs dry, so likely 7500lbs or so loaded, 29" RV. I have a WDH. I'm looking to trade in my 2015 Hemi 1500 for an EcoDiesel. Likely for another 2015 or maybe up to a 2016/17.

I tested an EcoDiesel truck that had the factory 4-corner air suspension and it seemed pretty sweet. I did a quick hook-up to my travel trailer with it (stationary) setting up the WDH while I had it last week and was impressed with how level it sat and corrected the truck. My hemi has the regular springs with the 6'4 box and it really sags a lot, even with the WHD cranked up quite strong. I've also thought about just getting airbags but really did like how the air ride felt on the highway compared to my truck.

I have also heard horror stories about the air suspension in cold weather. I'm in Kamloops, BC Canada. It gets chilly here in the winter but usually not as bad as some other areas of the country. Average say -10C cold in the winter with maybe a week or so of -20C every couple of years. It is also quite mountainous so I think I would for sure get a 3.92 equiped truck just like my Hemi is. For the test drive last week it was sitting around -5C and the truck had zero issues through and overnight testdrive.

So, what are your thoughts? Should I risk the problems and go with a 4-corner air system like on this one I tested for the cushy ride and simplicity of load leveling, or should I stick with a coil spring truck and add (manual) airbags? Some of the horror stories I have heard on here now is making me second guess my thought of going with the factory 4-corner.

·
Super Moderator
4,153 Posts
It's one of those decisions that if you do go with the air suspension and you have problems with it, you'll be kicking yourself.
My neighbor is a Dodge mechanic and when I brought home my new truck his words were: "oh good, you didn't get the air suspension".
As for adding a set of rear set of airbags, put a WirelessOne compressor on them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's one of those decisions that if you do go with the air suspension and you have problems with it, you'll be kicking yourself.
My neighbor is a Dodge mechanic and when I brought home my new truck his words were: "oh good, you didn't get the air suspension".
As for adding a set of rear set of airbags, put a WirelessOne compressor on them.
Yes, It's an internal debate that's been going around in my head. Features of the Air Suspension are nice (load leveling, etc...) but I'm scared of the long-term reliability. We would like to outfit the truck how we like it and keep it a long time, so I'm leaning the standard coils direction.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
My '16 is my third vehicle with the air suspension and I love it, wouldn't own it without. I tow a toy hauler with similar specs as you listed, no issues with a WDH and 2 swaybars.

The nice things about the air suspension are load leveling regardless of bed cargo, pulling a trailer with or without WDH, offroad modes, lowering to entry/exit mode for cab and for loading the bed, and aero mode at highway speeds.

You'll hear arguments for and against air suspension, really comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have a 2015 fully loaded Laramie with the 4 corner air suspension and I love it. It has never hiccuped for me despite the cold temps we see in my neck of the woods. I have heard of others with some issues in Northern Ontario but not for me. It's been in the -20's here and no issues. Hauling my 7800 lb trailer and it sits laser level.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
As long as you understand that neither increase your gvwr or gawr.

·
Registered
332 Posts
those that live in the very cold 15 and below, some of them have trouble with the air suspension . Im in Texas never had a problem

·
Registered
94 Posts
I live in Central Alberta and have had some -30c nights for a week recently, I drive a 2016 eco have had it for two winter's now and I am happy to report I have had no issues. Yes it is so nice leveling out the trailer and the ride is nice, I was concerned when I purchased the eco about issues, the dealership I purchased from said they had issues in the early eco trucks, from owners driving in a snow storm and suspension had snow around suspension then it warmed up to melt then froze again they saw that problem. The first generation had air in system, now they put in nitrogen highly recommended

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have a 2016 with 4 corner and this is my 2nd winter an no problems. I am in Canada and see -20's. I have had a couple of times with a wild temp swing that thr front is lowered but when i start the truck it comes up level with no issues.

I know there are a bunch of folks who have had many issues and i feel for them. I have not had any problems and hope to continue that.

It would seem that everyone who has issues just ends up with the dealer replacing parts while the issues return.

I put my money that the issues are initially real issues but the dealers lack knowledge or equipment to resolve them. If the system is a closed system with nitrogen and there is a leak, they would need to evacuate and reintroduce the nitrogen in a way that makes sure that moisture is not introduced.

If water enters the system it will end up in the lowest point, which will be the bags. Like i said, a full evacuation would be the only way to deal with it.

Also, i don't know if the compressor has an oil qty that it works with as well, but i would bet that some of the techs don't know or don't care.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have the standard suspension with Timber grove bags in the rear. I like it, it doesn't have the fancy features of the factory air system, but, I can raise and lower the rear with my timber grove bags to accommodate my 30ft toy hauler, I carry a cordless Craftsman compressor, and I never have to worry about my springs malfunctioning due to extreme cold. Also an added bonus is the dealer can never hook up to my truck and see that it's been over loaded at any point.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The odd thing about air suspension is that I know a ton of Range Rover owners. Those vehicles have had air since the mid 1990’s. Only problems reported are when air bags age or wear out or the compressor dies. No freezing issues which Ram should have engineered out before they offered it up for sale

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As long as you understand that neither increase your gvwr or gawr.
Yes, totally understand that. It's not about exceeding anything, it's about sitting level when hooked to what I have already for better ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like a positive feature in general, but we are looking at the used market and in doing so you never really know if you are getting one that had issues already or not. Or if you are 1 winter away from issues starting. I'm not sure I want to risk that headache I guess. Especially when used, I'm still talking around $40k here in Canada.

Totally agree that part of the issue initially was the techs not knowing how to deal with it at the dealer and it makes sense that any moisture getting in would cause a lot of the reported issues. I think that once out of warranty, the hassle of having to have it evacuated constantly and refilled with nitro every year or too might not outweight the auto-leveling. Choices choices.

So I think I am leaning towards the regular springs still, are the Timbren's the ones most people recommend? Which model?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I was referring to that. Just curious to anyone that has these style that go where the bump-stop mounts go. When towing does it make things feel more side-to-side tippy? I'm just wondering if having the air bags mounted inward closer to the centre of the truck makes things a little less stable side-to-side than say the air lift 1000s or the firestone ones that go inside the springs? (ie: farther outwards towards the wheels?)

Has anyone tried both styles and settled on one or the other? I think 5000 lbs is overkill. Our trailer tongue weight is only around 800 lbs or so, so I feel like the 1000s in the springs are probably enough, but would be willing to try this kind if they have proven to be more stable this way.

BTW: Almost settled on a 2016 Longhorn EcoDiesel! Its just in a mechanics shop this morning getting looked at for peace of mind before we finalize the deal. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tow a 24' toy hauler with my Eco with the factory air suspension. Absolutely love it. The ride is pretty good and I love the auto level. Coldest weather I have had the truck in was 1-2 degrees F and had no issues with the air suspension. My truck is a 2016 with 31k miles on it already.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I love how my truck soaks up the bumps. I had to have the Air Suspension. I wouldn't have bought mine without it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I love how my truck soaks up the bumps. I had to have the Air Suspension. I wouldn't have bought mine without it.
I was thinking this at first as well... only we plan to keep this truck long-term and I think the extra complexity will just cause headaches later once the truck is no longer in warranty, Oh well...No regret now. My wife and I just signed papers today on a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn with coils! :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts