RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to towing a TT (previously had a minivan and a popup, which doesn't really count as towing :)). I am trying to understand in what conditions do you use Toy Haul Mode, when to use cruise control. Do you use both all the time? Or are there specific conditions in which they should be used, such as going up/down grades, on flats? Use both and set and forget it?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi there and welcome, you're going to get a bunch of responses on this one. I'd like to conciser cruise and Toy Haul as two separate things.

Cruise. Some people love and and others hate it. I use it a lot. The easiest place to use it is somewhere where you speed will be consistent for a long time. Any time on the highway if it's not stop and go. It can be bothersome if there are a lot of cars around and they are changing their speed up and down. You will catch a guy, and pass him, then he will pass you then slow down, then you catch him again. Usually it's not malicious it's just the way people drive when using their foot for speed control.

Toy Haul. Your truck has eight gears. The highest gives you the best fuel economy. Lower gears give you better pulling power. Now imagine you have a fairly heavy load, say more than 3000lbs and you come to a long steep hill. As you push more on the accelerator to keep your speed the transmission may step down a gear or two. Now in the lower gear you may speed up and let off on the diesel peddle, then the transmission goes into a higher gear again. If you find your transmission hunting for gears like this, you press the Toy Haul button and the transmission will kick down a gear and stay there. It uses a little bit more fuel it saves the transmission from over heating by hunting for gears over and over.

Now if you have the cruise set, and come to a hill, and the transmission starts hunting between 7 and 8, you can press the Toy Haul button and keep it in 7 for the hill. Once you are over the hill then take off the Toy Haul button. This is a case where you use both.

Cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
I may be in the minority, but I also use tow/haul in heavy traffic during my commute so it isn't constantly changing gears.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I would use cruise like you would in any other vehicle except when towing. If you are on flat ground, or flat enough the truck doesn't downshift I think cruise is ok for towing.

The thing I most commonly tow is about 5,000 lbs. I typically use tow haul. For smaller loads, something like an empty flat bed I don't typically use it.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
While tow haul does help the transmission out some, the biggest thing I notice is it helps keep egts in check. That by itself is a big reason why I use it whenever I tow.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Cruise if fine to use when towing until it becomes inefficient. The factory cruise algorithms will have the tranny dropping gears constantly whenever the slightest of inclines is met. This can cause excessive oil/water temps as well as tranny temps. For that reason it's often times not useful.

Tow/Haul is fine to use when towing anything or even not towing anything. In my experience it simply holds the lower gears for a longer period of time. I don't use it when towing very heavy because it will lock out 7th gear on truck on highway. As soon as I turn it off the truck drops to 7th and sits there just fine. Again in my experience, I see better fuel econ with T/H off. With T/H off your tranny will shift more often, so keep an eye on the tranny temp just to make sure it's not getting excessive. This is under extreme conditions only though. I saw 213 one time towing ~8500 lbs on a 100+ day on some really hilly secondary roads. I dropped it into T/H to reduce the shifting a bit.

Both of these functions you will want to experiment with and see what works best for your setup. One thing I can say is GDE will pay dividends in almost every facet of towing your TT and will make for a more enjoyable and safer tow.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
My truck shifts into 7th gear with tow/haul and the cruise control on towing our boat which is 5k and considerable drag. I have 3.55 gears too. It will also hold 7th without downshifting on pretty good hills with tow haul. No mountains, but the biggest hills we have on local interstate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I dont use the cruise while towing for 1 reason. I was driving along heading up a slight incline when my truck downshifted to regain the speed. At about the same exact time i needed to slow down fast because of either a car stopped short or something in front of me. So having to move my foot to the brake (which was relaxing off to the side farther from the brake than it would have been had it been on the gas) and the sudden increase of speed as i approached something i didnt want to hit, was not fun. So when i tow, i keep foot on the gas. It allows me to control the speed of my truck and stay more attentative in case i need to make a sudden slow down or stop. Plus it allows me to control the gears i run in my truck more consistently.

·
Registered
46 Posts
GDE's egt's, and using Tow/Haul to rev RPM's

Sorry to ask, I read some terms in this thread I did not understand.

What are egt's? and what is a GDE?

Can I use the tow/haul button when not towing anything ? I suppose the mileage will suffer but the ride seems smoother, and maybe the exhaust will run hotter to alleviate the ever present "Exhaust System Regeneration" messages seen on short haul commutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
547 Posts
I find the button for towing makes the truck downshift faster when going downhill, and I live in a hilly area, so if I’m towing I use it, the cruise control is another matter, if I’m towing heavy I don’t use it, only towing lite, and if I’m towing heavy I limit the truck to 7th gear, no need to run 8th gear, it’s an overdrive, and the transmission doesn’t need to be struggling.

·
Registered
473 Posts
when i towed in the 90's we never used cruise control for towing and rarely empty because it's stupid and does a poor job of being efficient... all it's trying to do is maintain a speed... back then they were vacuum controlled i think, know wait that was the old 70 mini winnie. regardless, even in the beauville chevy van, foot on a pedal. my dad destroyed a 700r4 towing in over drive even though i told him not to do it. he ended up driving from charlotte to buffalo in 2nd gear with that van and a 350 with 3.73 gears... apparently it actually stayed cooler and ran great lol but slow as shit. first 5th gear went, then 4th, then 3rd. i think it was 3rd, i wasn't there but either 2nd or 3rd gear for 2 days.

tow/haul mode (in chevy's where my experience is) uses a different shift pattern for the transmission and locks out over drive (surprise) lol.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts

Can I use the tow/haul button when not towing anything ? I suppose the mileage will suffer but the ride seems smoother, and maybe the exhaust will run hotter to alleviate the ever present "Exhaust System Regeneration"
messages seen on short haul commutes.
You can use tow/haul anytime, but it won't affect the ride or change regen frequency. It will not cause the exhaust to run hotter.

I tow heavy and don't use tow/haul or cruise. I prefer to control shifts myself via throttle input.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can use tow/haul anytime, but it won't affect the ride or change regen frequency. It will not cause the exhaust to run hotter.
I have to disagree in theory anyway with Bounty Hunter, the exhaust should increase in volume and get hotter at higher rpm's.

The recommended method for completing the regen cycle is to run at highway speeds. My argument is that it's not the truck velocity that matters, the reason why highway travel is recommended is that it boosts up the engine RPM's for a period of time. This gets more hot exhaust through to heat up and clean the DPF filter. (The engine also injects raw fuel into the exhaust which really heats it up, like a jet's afterburner.) When you switch to Tow/Haul mode, the nominal RPM's hover around 2000, even around town. In theory this should also get more hot has through the pipe. What do you think? Does the RAM's regen software take vehicle velocity or rpm's or both into account?

I could be all wrong and I don't have one of the monitors some of the folks here do, like the Edge Evolution CTS2. Can someone with a monitor get us a measurement of the EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) and give us the nominal exhaust gas temperature readings between running at 1000 rpm's, and running at 2000 rpm's or higher?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I tow in the mountains and of the flat.

I use tow/haul mode in city and in the mountains. I turn it off on the flat, and find I get slightly better economy.

Similarly, I use cruise almost constantly on the flat, but turn it off in heavy traffic or in the mountains.

Bottom line, listen to your vehicle and pay attention to what it is doing. There are times and conditions for both and for one or the other, and for neither.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Will using the tow/haul mode in conjunction with the GDE tune (with optional engine brake), make more use of the engine brake in hilly areas and stopping? If so, this should save some brake wear too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Living in Florida, I have found I get better fuel economy not using tow/haul mode pulling my 7000 lb trailer trailer. I have not found transmission searching for gears and temperate remains constant 199 degrees. The cruise control works well at 65-68 on interstate in light traffic pulling the travel trailer as well

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Will using the tow/haul mode in conjunction with the GDE tune (with optional engine brake), make more use of the engine brake in hilly areas and stopping? If so, this should save some brake wear too.
The GDE turbo brake will switch on at the preset rpm regardless of tow/haul mode. If tow/haul causes the truck to downshift sooner, then the turbo brake will engage sooner.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts

Can I use the tow/haul button when not towing anything ? I suppose the mileage will suffer but the ride seems smoother, and maybe the exhaust will run hotter to alleviate the ever present "Exhaust System Regeneration" messages seen on short haul commutes.
EGT monitoring is a relic of mechanical fuel injected diesels. your engine computers take care of all of this for you so pedaling to maintain a certain egt is pointless. there are a lot of people in the diesel world who have had to monitor EGTs to make sure their engine did not melt down under high load conditions.Computers have completely removed the need for this.

tow haul will not fix your regeneration issues. you need to tune your truck to disable EGR.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts