RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forum Members -
Sorry if this is a tired issue, I'm new and have my years of experience wasting time crawling threads for hours only to wish I simply asked...

Situation: My 2020 Limited has 7500miles, fresh oil & service. We recently had a heat wave (90degrees) in WA and after the truck sat in the sun for a day, it really stumbled (hard pause and knock) on first few gear changes. It's repeated this more mildly in following days in first start of the day in first/second gear change.. then fine. No warnings, indicators and everything in normal ranges. I don't have much Diesel experience though I was around them in the Army vehicles and never heard of issues operating at only 90 degrees.

Thoughts? Thanks!
CigarXO

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,083 Posts
That sounds more like the transmission than the engine. The 8HP75 in your truck is basically a higher rated version of the 8HP70 found behind the 2ndGen motor. Some of those would do a similar a firmer delayed first shift of the day then was fine, but it wasn't really temperature based.
You might want to swing by the dealer and see if they can find any internal transmission fault codes. There has been very few problems with these transmissions even the ones gas trucks.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Like said above, sounds like a transmission issue.

With 7500 miles on it I would absolutely get it into the dealer to be checked out and documented. While transmission issues are not common at all with these trucks they are not unheard of.

My 2015 has the goofy 1-2 first shift of the day. It didnt start it till it had 50,000 miles or so on it and a transmission service at 95,000 miles cleared a lot of it up. Do you accelerate relatively hard on it? I experienced that it did it much worse if I was in a hurry than if I let it take its time and like Crash mentioned after a shift or two it was gone.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
First... Its new... Get it documented asap by your dealership. that way if something bigger fails down the road you have a paper trail.

Second... I agree wtih the MAS and Crash. I have the occasional wacky 1-2 on my 2015. i am due for a trans service as well. probably a sticking solenoid etc... they might change your fluid to see if it clears up.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Forum Members -
Sorry if this is a tired issue, I'm new and have my years of experience wasting time crawling threads for hours only to wish I simply asked...

Situation: My 2020 Limited has 7500miles, fresh oil & service. We recently had a heat wave (90degrees) in WA and after the truck sat in the sun for a day, it really stumbled (hard pause and knock) on first few gear changes. It's repeated this more mildly in following days in first start of the day in first/second gear change.. then fine. No warnings, indicators and everything in normal ranges. I don't have much Diesel experience though I was around them in the Army vehicles and never heard of issues operating at only 90 degrees.

Thoughts? Thanks!
CigarXO
Hi: CigarXO... Sounds to me like you need to use a better quality "Sun screen"!!! Even though it's hot the engine is still cold. I always go lightly for the first while and keep the revs below 2,000 rpm's till the heat indicator starts to rise!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gents-
Truck finally threw a CEL and "Service Electronic Throttle Control" msg today. I'll read forums... any thoughts or known issues? Thx!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts