RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Forum Members,
I love my 2020 Ram Limited. I love it more with the BDS 4" lift for air shocks, 35s and Fuel rims. As I investigated lifting, BDS expressed concerns with the 2020 RAM driveshafts and were not certifying as they had prior models. Anyone got information on driveshaft issues? Replacement builds?

Thoughts... Thanks!
CigarXO

·
Registered
278 Posts
This may not be applicable to your question, but I just installed a new front driveshaft from Adams on my 2018 ecodiesel. When I got my 6" lift installed there was no warning listed on the BDS website. While killing time a little while ago, I revisited the BDS website and saw a new warning about needing a front driveshaft on ecodiesel models.

·
Registered
278 Posts
This is what BDS had to say about why the front driveshaft needed to be changed out (note that this is for a 2018 ecodiesel, YMMV).

The CV portion of the drive shaft will lose grease and start to clunk and make a bunch of noise. This needs to be converted to a dual cardon joint. I have heard that Adams drive shaft and Drivelines plus in Indiana have been working on these to address this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread but wanted to give my .02 cents as I have a BDS 4" lift on my 2021 ED. BDS explained the front drive shaft issue to me when I purchased the kit in September 2021. They recommended I get a new front driveshaft from Drivelines Plus in Indiana which I did. Kit and driveshaft were installed professionally October 2021. No issues at all until two weeks ago. In short, this is what happened. Both the driver side motor mount and the BDS differential drop down bracket on that side broke while I was driving down the street at 45 mph. This caused the differential to shift towards the passenger side, which caused the attachment "ear" on the passenger side of the differential to snap off. The differential was only being held in place by the CV axles at that point. Scary stuff, I know. Chrysler won't repair it under warranty because they are blaming the lift kit for breaking the motor mount and differential. Not sure how, but ok. BDS won't pay for it because they say the motor mount broke first causing the failure of the dropdown bracket. Off Road Warehouse (ORW) is taking care of me, but at my expense of course. Total cost to repair which included a whole new differential (can't buy just the case, you have to buy a whole complete differential), engine mount and dropdown bracket plus labor came to $2,100.00. Still don't know if the lift kit is an issue with ED's. ORW did a side-by-side comparison of my ED vs. a Hemi model and found no differences in design or structure. All of the involved suspension part numbers are the same except for the motor mounts. Obviously, they are two different engines and have different mounting positions, so the mounts are going to be different. The engine mounts have nothing to do with the lift kit so that should NOT be an issue. Time will tell if there is a design issue, and it breaks again the same way or it was just a fluke thing that happened. If it does break again, that means don't lift an ED. FWIW, Rough Country and Fabtech said their kits have no issues with ED's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread but wanted to give my .02 cents as I have a BDS 4" lift on my 2021 ED. BDS explained the front drive shaft issue to me when I purchased the kit in September 2021. They recommended I get a new front driveshaft from Drivelines Plus in Indiana which I did. Kit and driveshaft were installed professionally October 2021. No issues at all until two weeks ago. In short, this is what happened. Both the driver side motor mount and the BDS differential drop down bracket on that side broke while I was driving down the street at 45 mph. This caused the differential to shift towards the passenger side, which caused the attachment "ear" on the passenger side of the differential to snap off. The differential was only being held in place by the CV axles at that point. Scary stuff, I know. Chrysler won't repair it under warranty because they are blaming the lift kit for breaking the motor mount and differential. Not sure how, but ok. BDS won't pay for it because they say the motor mount broke first causing the failure of the dropdown bracket. Off Road Warehouse (ORW) is taking care of me, but at my expense of course. Total cost to repair which included a whole new differential (can't buy just the case, you have to buy a whole complete differential), engine mount and dropdown bracket plus labor came to $2,100.00. Still don't know if the lift kit is an issue with ED's. ORW did a side-by-side comparison of my ED vs. a Hemi model and found no differences in design or structure. All of the involved suspension part numbers are the same except for the motor mounts. Obviously, they are two different engines and have different mounting positions, so the mounts are going to be different. The engine mounts have nothing to do with the lift kit so that should NOT be an issue. Time will tell if there is a design issue, and it breaks again the same way or it was just a fluke thing that happened. If it does break again, that means don't lift an ED. FWIW, Rough Country and Fabtech said their kits have no issues with ED's.
Holy crap. That’s cheaper than I thought to repair, but it’s still really terrible to have happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts