RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the 1500 diesel especially because of the great MPG. I live in NJ, and would be using it for commuting 30 miles each way all highway, no stop and go and for home improvements. I have never owned a pickup because of the horrible gas mileage. But my question, would it be smart to wait and get the 2015 model so they can fix the kinks?? I was always told never buy anything the first year it comes out. AGAIN I AM A NEWBIE so take it easy. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like the 1500 diesel especially because of the great MPG. I live in NJ, and would be using it for commuting 30 miles each way all highway, no stop and go and for home improvements. I have never owned a pickup because of the horrible gas mileage. But my question, would it be smart to wait and get the 2015 model so they can fix the kinks?? I was always told never buy anything the first year it comes out. AGAIN I AM A NEWBIE so take it easy. Thanks
I plan on waiting since the release is very late and I am sure Ram will be adding more features to compete with the other big boys

·
Registered
89 Posts
Been there and done that twice. Will never buy a first year model again. Nice to have one right away but the dealer garage monkeys are the only guys that get to see it. Usually every couple weeks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Welcome!

Whether to buy now or wait is always a question and there is no good answer. It all depends on your sensibilities and willingness to be an early adopter with all its inherent benefits and pitfalls. There may be a better choice or lower price in a few months but that is an endless treadmill. You have to decide if the current model is right for you or if you should wait to see what develops. The diesel should work great for a 30-mile commute in free-flowing traffic.

With the 2014 Ram 1500 the most significant change from 2013 is the diesel engine. We can get an idea of how well it will work from the Grand Cherokee which came out first and paved the way, so to speak. I'm sure there will be glitches--there usually are in something as complicated as a car--so if you are hesitant then a dealer with a good service department nearby is a big plus, and there are extended factory warranties available.

The previous car I bought was a new model SUV. It had a few early problems that were corrected, but 10 years later it is running strong and has proven to be the best car I have ever had (I learned to dive in an Edsel, considered one of the 50 Worst Cars of All Time). You do the best research you can and hope for the best.

Good luck with your choice!

chasm-cafe.jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
People act like this engine came out of thin air! It was developed for EIGHT YEARS by Cadillac before it ever came to the Fiat family, and it's been used overseas WITHOUT A SINGLE RECALL for the past 3 years. The transmission is also not fresh off the shelf either, so everything might seem brand new but it's really not. If you sit and wait for more goodies you could realistically wait forever because there's always something new to buy. MotorTrend said multiple times on their "Car of the Year" segment: "There are no lemons out there these days, sure an individual vehicle may have some problems but models and companies as a whole all make great products". You basically have to pick a year, and buy whatever you think is the best truck for your needs for THAT YEAR(and it might not even be a current year, for some a 2011 might be the right truck for their needs in 2014). For my purchase in 2014, the Ecodiesel is the right buy.

·
Registered
366 Posts
To me the only reason I am going to wait is to hopefully see an HD version with more payload.
HD version of the Ecodiesel? Not gonna happen, the mileage would decrease due to the chassis, and the numbers just wouldn't make sense anymore because there's literally no advantage vs the hemi. If you meant HD version of the Titan? It's still unclear whether the Titan is 1/2-ton or 3/4-ton.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not sure how things will play out on the Ram diesel but my guess is options will not be as great I bought the first year 07 Jeep JK. First year was only year to order 4:10 gears on all models, and without stupid silver applique on the bumpers(on Sahara) or interior bezel rings. The following years they made changes to the interior added the tpms, and changed the soft and hard tops three times and put in a slightly different motor. Consequently every year base price has gone up. Not sure if the 4wd is like in the jeep but if they offered locking hubs like back in the day, or air ride seats,or a true upgrade tow pkg with larger tranny cooler, higher capacity oil pan and beefed up front and rear(not just airbags)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
People act like this engine came out of thin air! It was developed for EIGHT YEARS by Cadillac before it ever came to the Fiat family, and it's been used overseas WITHOUT A SINGLE RECALL for the past 3 years. The transmission is also not fresh off the shelf either, so everything might seem brand new but it's really not. If you sit and wait for more goodies you could realistically wait forever because there's always something new to buy. MotorTrend said multiple times on their "Car of the Year" segment: "There are no lemons out there these days, sure an individual vehicle may have some problems but models and companies as a whole all make great products". You basically have to pick a year, and buy whatever you think is the best truck for your needs for THAT YEAR(and it might not even be a current year, for some a 2011 might be the right truck for their needs in 2014). For my purchase in 2014, the Ecodiesel is the right buy.

Thanks for the great info!! is there a link where i can read this?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Class, google VM A630 or VM L630, you will see links that will tell you the history of the motor. From there fish around and you'll find quite a bit about the motor, the history, VM the manufacturer, the vehicles, other applications for the motor (Banks - ), and Maserati.

So snoop around there is a lot out there.

Marsman

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Captain. Good info.

My favorite part was this -"Fuel economy for the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0-liter turbo diesel engine is rated at 10.3 L/100 km on the urban cycle and 7.2 L/100 km on the extra-urban cycle."

Personally, I'm hoping for better MPG on my "extra-urban cycle".
Really? This is better mileage than a small sedan (ie: accord, Chrysler 200). It gets about the same l/100km as a dodge dart.

·
Registered
366 Posts
All of this stuff is just unreal. I'll probably drive the hell out of it and not get the mileage and I'll still get better mileage than a Hemi driven conservatively

1 - 14 of 14 Posts