RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: All... We plan on taking the EcoD. and Escape 5.0TA over to NFLD. Looking for first hand tips and must see/do places. Is it OK to take the diesel to the island regarding fuel?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hi: All... We plan on taking the EcoD. and Escape 5.0TA over to NFLD. Looking for first hand tips and must see/do places. Is it OK to take the diesel to the island regarding fuel?
I was just Gander a few weeks ago, diesel fuel was pretty much available at all gas stations if that is what you're asking.
Not much to see as it was freaking cold and nasty.
Lots of trees and rock...
St Johns is a pretty big city though.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I was just there a few weeks ago, diesel fuel was pretty much available at all gas stations if that is what you're asking.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was just there a few weeks ago, diesel fuel was pretty much available at all gas stations if that is what you're asking.
Hi: dieseldoya... That was one question. The others were about campsites and things not to miss!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Dieseldragon!,

I lived in Newfoundland for the last 4.5 years and just moved back to Ontario this past September! I still work in St. John's but on a 3 week on, 3 week off rotation on the oil rigs. I feel like I can offer you some good first hand tips on what to do and see!

As the others said, don't worry about diesel availability, you be fine, although you'll probably notice a price increase once you get off the ferry from NS. There is a single shell station in St. Johns, that has normal diesel plus "V Power" premium diesel. They are both the same price, so I figure they are probably just both regular diesel but the V Power usually has a "10x the airmiles" promotion or something similar. So I find its a win win lol

PS - My mileage when towing from St. Johns to Port aux Basques was noticeably worse compared to the rest of my drive to Northern Ontario (17L/100km vs 11-13 the rest of the trip) . I contribute it to rolling hills throughout the island and a tarp that may of been catching some wind. lol

As for things to do, there are tons!

1. Gros Morne - Its a must see National Park and World Heritage Site. Beautiful scenery and lots to do. Take a ferry and tour the Fjords. It is on the west coast of the island

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/top-destinations/gros-morne

2. L'Anse aux Meadows - It is an ancient viking settlement on the northern peninsula of NL. It is the only confirmed viking settlement in North America. Bit of a drive from everything else but totally worth it! You will have a good chance of seeing some caribou .

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/top-destinations/lanse-aux-meadows

3. St. Pierre and Miquelon - It is a french colony just off the coast of NL - About 4 hours drive from St. Johns to the ferry. Small place but interesting. The ferry over wont take your vehicles though there is parking provided in NL.

4. St John's! - Lots to see and do here. Id recommend all the tourist stuff. Signal Hill Lookout (do the short north head trail) and Cape Spear (most eastern point of NA) .
Tour boat - Depending when you come in July you'll probably get the whales, but if your lucky you'll catch the tail end of iceberg season as well. Definitely a must do regardless.
Down town is always a blast, the restaurants are good and the beer is always cold. Lots to see and explore walking around.
George St - A street downtown solely dedicated to pubs and bars. No car traffic allowed unless its to restock the bars. Definitely got to stumble around there for a night or 2 and get "Screeched In"!! Christians pub is the best place on George St to get screeched in. You have to book earlier in the day, or the day before but its worth it!

Quidi Vidi - Small and very nice fishing village near downtown St. Johns. They have an awesome brewery and also have a iceberg beer - brewed with iceberg water.

5. Irish Loop - About a 3 to 4 hour drive that starts and ends in St. John's . Very Scenic and a nice day trip if you want to stop for breaks and lunch. St. Vincent beach is very nice (probably too cold to swim tho lol)

Driving the Irish Loop in Newfoundland | Vacay.ca

Fun fact - It is a 80km highway, and where I usually got my best mileage (8-8.3L/100km)

Cape St. Francis Light House - Probably not too many tourists go here, but I would recommend it. North of St. Johns a bit, it is at the end of a public dirt road. It is very rugged and scenic and a great place to go for a hike or have lunch. Great place the see the whales if they are around. The light house is unmanned and you don't usually see too many people around.

Port Rexton & Trinity - Couple small towns but have started to get popular as a nice getaway place. Port Rexton has a great brewery and is scenic. Id recommend spending a night or so in that area.

Those are some things just off the top of my head, I know there are many more cool things to do in Newfoundland!

How long is your trip going to be?

Cheers,

Harls

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi: harls_237... Thanks for the tips... very helpful. We're taking our trailer on the briney, and staying on "The Rock" for 3 weeks. Taking the long ride over and the short ride back. Booked a berth... just hope they're not upper/lower ones!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie. P1040903.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Dieseldragon,

3 Weeks is a good chunk of time! Youll have plenty of time to explore the island! Every time I have been on the ferry's, the berths weren't upper/lowers so you should be good! I feel sorry for you bank account for taking the short ferry back though! It aint cheap to leave the island! I hope you have a good trip!!

Cheers,

Harls

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Dieseldragon,

3 Weeks is a good chunk of time! Youll have plenty of time to explore the island! Every time I have been on the ferry's, the berths weren't upper/lowers so you should be good! I feel sorry for you bank account for taking the short ferry back though! It aint cheap to leave the island! I hope you have a good trip!!

Cheers,

Harls
Hi: harls_237... Nice part about it was getting a fat refund from CRA. All expense's paid. When I woke up from that dream... I found my acct. had made a mistake!!! Now I get back a "G" note + and my wife has to pay a "G" note. "Easy come easy go" Eh?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hey Dieseldragon!,

I lived in Newfoundland for the last 4.5 years and just moved back to Ontario this past September! I still work in St. John's but on a 3 week on, 3 week off rotation on the oil rigs. I feel like I can offer you some good first hand tips on what to do and see!

As the others said, don't worry about diesel availability, you be fine, although you'll probably notice a price increase once you get off the ferry from NS. There is a single shell station in St. Johns, that has normal diesel plus "V Power" premium diesel. They are both the same price, so I figure they are probably just both regular diesel but the V Power usually has a "10x the airmiles" promotion or something similar. So I find its a win win lol

PS - My mileage when towing from St. Johns to Port aux Basques was noticeably worse compared to the rest of my drive to Northern Ontario (17L/100km vs 11-13 the rest of the trip) . I contribute it to rolling hills throughout the island and a tarp that may of been catching some wind. lol

As for things to do, there are tons!

1. Gros Morne - Its a must see National Park and World Heritage Site. Beautiful scenery and lots to do. Take a ferry and tour the Fjords. It is on the west coast of the island

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/top-destinations/gros-morne

2. L'Anse aux Meadows - It is an ancient viking settlement on the northern peninsula of NL. It is the only confirmed viking settlement in North America. Bit of a drive from everything else but totally worth it! You will have a good chance of seeing some caribou .

https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/top-destinations/lanse-aux-meadows

3. St. Pierre and Miquelon - It is a french colony just off the coast of NL - About 4 hours drive from St. Johns to the ferry. Small place but interesting. The ferry over wont take your vehicles though there is parking provided in NL.

4. St John's! - Lots to see and do here. Id recommend all the tourist stuff. Signal Hill Lookout (do the short north head trail) and Cape Spear (most eastern point of NA) .
Tour boat - Depending when you come in July you'll probably get the whales, but if your lucky you'll catch the tail end of iceberg season as well. Definitely a must do regardless.
Down town is always a blast, the restaurants are good and the beer is always cold. Lots to see and explore walking around.
George St - A street downtown solely dedicated to pubs and bars. No car traffic allowed unless its to restock the bars. Definitely got to stumble around there for a night or 2 and get "Screeched In"!! Christians pub is the best place on George St to get screeched in. You have to book earlier in the day, or the day before but its worth it!

Quidi Vidi - Small and very nice fishing village near downtown St. Johns. They have an awesome brewery and also have a iceberg beer - brewed with iceberg water.

5. Irish Loop - About a 3 to 4 hour drive that starts and ends in St. John's . Very Scenic and a nice day trip if you want to stop for breaks and lunch. St. Vincent beach is very nice (probably too cold to swim tho lol)

Driving the Irish Loop in Newfoundland | Vacay.ca

Fun fact - It is a 80km highway, and where I usually got my best mileage (8-8.3L/100km)

Cape St. Francis Light House - Probably not too many tourists go here, but I would recommend it. North of St. Johns a bit, it is at the end of a public dirt road. It is very rugged and scenic and a great place to go for a hike or have lunch. Great place the see the whales if they are around. The light house is unmanned and you don't usually see too many people around.

Port Rexton & Trinity - Couple small towns but have started to get popular as a nice getaway place. Port Rexton has a great brewery and is scenic. Id recommend spending a night or so in that area.

Those are some things just off the top of my head, I know there are many more cool things to do in Newfoundland!

How long is your trip going to be?

Cheers,

Harls
Great info here. Considering driving from FL to NS and NFLD in June...looks like a couple of ferry rides eh?

Question...can a car rented in Bangor be driven across the border? Also thoughts on NS...thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great info here. Considering driving from FL to NS and NFLD in June...looks like a couple of ferry rides eh?

Question...can a car rented in Bangor be driven across the border? Also thoughts on NS...thank you.
Hey shawclan5,

There are two main ferry's off the island that leave from North Sydney NS. The short ferry lands in Port Aux Basque, NL which is on the west side of the island. It is about a 9 Hour drive,

The other ferry lands in Argentia, NL on the east side of the island, about 1.5 drive from the capital, St. John's. This ferry takes about 16 hours and is more pricier than the short ferry.

As for bringing a rental car into Canada, from the US, you shouldn't have a problem. I know many people who have done it. When booking it, I would let the rental company know, as there may be an additional insurance or something for taking the car out of country.

Cheers,

Harls

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi: All... Got the bearings packed and the brakes cleaned and adjusted. Now I find I need a new set of tires for the trailer. Looking at a set of 205 75R 15 Goodyear Endurance tires. Bigger "Bucks" but made in the USA!!!

·
Registered
936 Posts

No problems with renting in US and driving into Canada. I do it quite often.

Adding to harls 238's comments: talk to your insurance and credit card companies about coverage for renting a car and driving into Canada. Coverage from the rental car companies can be fairly expensive. Depending on your credit card, you may have rental coverage separate from your own insurance.

All of my trips to date have been work related, so I'm covered through our contracts with the rental car companies.

·
Registered
716 Posts
shawclan5, don't forget your passport. The Canadians are fine, but when you come back to the US, no passport, big hassle to get back. Almost had to stay in Campobello last year. My passport had expired, haha. If you like micro breweries, some good ones in Maine, too. Bangor, Brewer, Orono and Caribou have excellent ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Diesel
All good points but the one I think is missing is be off the highways at night. I have driven across NFLD. a few times and believe me when I say there is no shortage of moose, elk or large wildlife on that island. Best to be enjoying a few black horse beers and jiggs dinner in a quiet campground.
A few other points:
- I would add few extra lights if you plan on any night driving at all through Quebec and New Brunswick.
- Look for and plan for the Montreal city bypass, the last thing you would want is to get stuck in that city pulling a trailer at anytime of the day. That bypass saves a lot of time and it helps avoid the tunnel.
-and roads (Highways) in Quebec are an experience rough can be an understatement
apart from those few things its a great trip, great people and if the weather cooperates a great time..

Don't forget George Street in St. John's you do need to get screeched in don't you know

r

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Diesel
All good points but the one I think is missing is be off the highways at night. I have driven across NFLD. a few times and believe me when I say there is no shortage of moose, elk or large wildlife on that island. Best to be enjoying a few black horse beers and jiggs dinner in a quiet campground.
A few other points:
- I would add few extra lights if you plan on any night driving at all through Quebec and New Brunswick.
- Look for and plan for the Montreal city bypass, the last thing you would want is to get stuck in that city pulling a trailer at anytime of the day. That bypass saves a lot of time and it helps avoid the tunnel.
-and roads (Highways) in Quebec are an experience rough can be an understatement
apart from those few things its a great trip, great people and if the weather cooperates a great time..

Don't forget George Street in St. John's you do need to get screeched in don't you know

r
Hi; Reg... Thanks for that info!!! Always plan to be off the hwy at night even though I have "Auto dimming" hi-beams and fogs too. Montreal by-pass is a given. Why I might even bi-pass the whole province. Looking forward to some good eats and crafty brews too!!!
Ordered new Goodyear Endurance trailer tires today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Might I recommend down one way, back the other. The newer highways on the Canadian side, once you get past Montreal (Quebec) are impressive and cut a lot of time off the trip. Plus you don't have to worry about the exchange or higher price of fuel. Either way both routes offer some nice countryside and if possible I would for sure recommend an updated gps or the waze app. I have found the nav in our trucks to be a little less than reliable once you get that far off the path.

One more thing that sticks out double check cell service in NFLD. I got caught years ago on rogers I think it was and ended up with no service unless I was in the city's and nothing on the road in between. I think Bell works about everywhere.

But like I said look into it to be sure, it would suck to be stranded or looking to book a place to stay and no cell service..R

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Might I recommend down one way, back the other. The newer highways on the Canadian side, once you get past Montreal (Quebec) are impressive and cut a lot of time off the trip. Plus you don't have to worry about the exchange or higher price of fuel. Either way both routes offer some nice countryside and if possible I would for sure recommend an updated gps or the waze app. I have found the nav in our trucks to be a little less than reliable once you get that far off the path.

One more thing that sticks out double check cell service in NFLD. I got caught years ago on rogers I think it was and ended up with no service unless I was in the city's and nothing on the road in between. I think Bell works about everywhere.

But like I said look into it to be sure, it would suck to be stranded or looking to book a place to stay and no cell service..R
Hi: Reg... I don't need "Apps, or gps"... I'm married. Getting lost used to be fun years ago. Now it just takes time!!! No cell service might be a good thing. She might look at something else other than that dam screen!!!
Hi: Captainmal... "Rust" happens in the rest of the country too!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts