RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I've been doing is trying to gather as much information about the major 'new' technology in the '14 1500, so besides its new V6 diesel, we have the 8 speed ZF transmission.

One Transmission, Countless Cars: The ZF 8HP Eight-Speed - Popular Mechanics

Main takeaway is this is a highly regarded transmission that has been in service for a few years and can handle more torque than what the Ram rolls with from manufacturer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
It is nice to know that I have the same transmission as a Bentley or Rolls Royce. I can see why they use it as it is so smooth and just one of the many features I love about this truck.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Saw that earlier and was impressed.

Now. Is the model in our trucks the same as the one I read about that's being recalled?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Seems like we are not going to be having transmission problems. Having said that, those who are part of the recall will not agree. It may be related to Chrysler's modifications on their "kit" as stated in the article. If it is the earliest ones built, it makes sense. It is concerning that they did not figure this out in all the pre-production testing though. I wonder what else is lurking.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Seems like we are not going to be having transmission problems. Having said that, those who are part of the recall will not agree. It may be related to Chrysler's modifications on their "kit" as stated in the article. If it is the earliest ones built, it makes sense. It is concerning that they did not figure this out in all the pre-production testing though. I wonder what else is lurking.
Well.... the German's really pull the issue down to the bone !!!

Recall Alert: 2014 Ram 1500 Pickup - PickupTrucks.com News

They are only recalling 159 trucks !!!! Every time I see a recall, it's thousands of vehicles.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The kit mentioned in the article is the 845 which is produced by Chrysler at the Kokomo transmission plant. The 870 is manufactured by ZF at their gray court facility in South Carolina.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Anybody know what the engineered max hp and tq for our particular "kit" is?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts