RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Bummer. So much for Nissan's diesel goodness. They had a hokey story about filling a niche for the huge number of owners switching between half tons and HDs. It wasn't a good compo - the 5L is inefficient and Nissan doesn't keep their pickup designs up to date.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Oh no, how else will we get HD fuel economy with sub-HD capability?

But seriously Nissan should just go all-in with a new Frontier. Give up on the Titan and put all your chips in a compact truck.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
My opinion, the titan is a nice truck has good power and drives well. They missed on 2 things, payload/towing is low for its power and build and fuel economy sucks the big one.

·
Registered
575 Posts
New report on MSN tonight says The Titan and Cummins will be no more in the 2020 model year.
This was bound to happen. Bad choice of engine in already a turd of a truck lol.
I hope cummins can offer them a babby 3.0L mated to a 8hp75. Then we can talk.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I give them credit for trying although the engine was not desired by anyone else. With the towing and efficiency of the 2020 1/2 tons it is a wise move. Agree above the Frontier should be the focus with a smaller I-4 diesel PRICED RIGHT would make for an interesting combo.

Even put it in the Pathfinder.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
So the author of the article says the..."Ram 1500 is a sweetheart to beat.".

As for the V8 Cummins, it was always a big block of nothing that found a sucker to buy it. I say good-bye to nothing important. May Cummins make an in-line 4.0L diesel like that giant 6.7 L creature they use in the heavy duty trucks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
So the author of the article says the..."Ram 1500 is a sweetheart to beat.".

As for the V8 Cummins, it was always a big block of nothing that found a sucker to buy it. I say good-bye to nothing important. May Cummins make an in-line 4.0L diesel like that giant 6.7 L creature they use in the heavy duty trucks.
Would you consider the Cummins 4BT or is it just too low on power for what you had in mind?

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
Biggest problem is Nissan. Nissan has never learned how to competitively market and sell full size trucks. Additionally their 2018 & especially 2019 Titan sales are way down even after a recent remake. The 5.0 has been aftermarket tuned where it makes great power and spins quicker & faster than an in-line so it can get the HP as well as the torque. This is useful on the interstate with a load and why some prefer the horsepower bias of the Power-stroke or Duramax to the Cummins. Though I often prefer the long throw low rpm torque bias of the inline for towing. Then again I’m not 19 and don’t feel the need to tow 80 plus and be first up the mountain. I guess that’s obvious by what I tow with though it by displacement instead of architecture. Reasonable longevity with the 5.0 as well.

Aside from non floating axle / payload issues compared to 3/4 tons it has the problem that none of the tuners could get enough fuel economy to make sense over any of the 3/4 tons let alone compete with the 1/2 tons. I assume it’s combustion chamber with fuel & air flow issues with heads & intake that would take major investment to resolve. Also as to putting it into a 1/2 ton it’s too heavy and makes the truck what a 3/4 ton weighs to handle it. So it’s too heavy and inefficient to compete with 1/2 tons And provides less capability with no fuel economy gain compared to the 3/4 tons. This motor was almost stillborn with millions in Development tooling manufacturing and emissions certifications now again / still searching for a life line. Not that it is a “bad” motor.

As to the 4 & 4.5 liter diesel 1/2 tons Cummins & Duramax fans talk about. I don’t really see that case either as the 3.0s are going to provide a jump in fuel economy (30 & 33mpg) over greater displacement and with 300 HP 500plus TQ reliably attainable from this displacement provides all the torque you can fully utilize in the 1/2 ton platform with an 8 or 10 speed transmission. HP is a lot more about airflow than displacement so the greater size doesn’t help much there either. I think 3.0 liters is the ideal-ish displacement for the 1/2 ton platforms.

Perhaps 6.7 ish liters is ideal for the dualies as well mostly for the reliability relative to the power output and load many are put under. Both 3.0s & 6.7s make sensible fuel economy & power for their respective platforms & provides a big gap between the platforms yet has overlap in what they should sensibility be used for. Meaning the 1/2 ton platforms with proper motor & now 8 & 10 speed transmissions / gearing can be sensibly used up to and for occasional 8 to 10k tows. 3/4 ton platforms might fuel & costs & reliability be sensibly used for as little as 6k daily towing.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Would you consider the Cummins 4BT or is it just too low on power for what you had in mind?
Did not check just what that is but think it's a commercial engine for stationary use. Maybe it's for tractors?

Think a 4.0L in-line engine from Cummins that would be usable does not exist right now. They do make some diesels WITHOUT and EGR that are designed to make emissions for other countries regulations. Again, not familiar in detail. Just seems to me that a 3.0L engine is the right size for a small car and not a working pickup. Why there is such a big gap between the little 3.0 diesels and the big 6.6-6.7L ones is curious to me. I want something that is in the middle without major increases is size and complexity.

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
4BT (2.8 liters) often referred to as Bread Truck engine was put in lots of small commercial box trucks like bread trucks Fed Ex package delivery trucks etc. Pretty reliable but hatefully slow and underpowered. As in always driven flat on the floor from stop to highway speed just to not be in the way of normal traffic flow. You can read about it on Cummins site. Rough running noisy and expensive. I’m sure it can be turned up for better power but there goes any warranty plus may require injectors turbo fuel pump etc to support the required air & fuel flow. Possibly tuning if available for whatever engine management comes with it to run it. GDE says it’s not something they would pick for in a pick up. It’s heavy not super fuel efficient and very dated technologically.

Captain if you can reliably (tuned) get 300 HP and 500 plus TQ out of a 3.0 (not our current turbo etc but 3.0 liters) is their reason to move to 4.0 liters or more and use more fuel? Again assuming that’s more than enough power for a half ton platform and reliable.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
As I state din some previous threads, I had looked at the Titan as a replacement for my 2011 1500 gasser. Seemed like a powerful, capable heavy half ton. I started pricing and building online to see the feasibility before I visited a dealer. That's where it ended. At the time, to get the locking diff, you had to get the high end trim. This is the most basic of traction devices that every other truck offers on the base. Even building a bare bones truck, I found the price was near what the HD Ram trucks were, without the capability.

Perhaps there were some incentives at the dealer, perhaps not. I would have bought a truck that was rated marginally better than my 1500.

I think the 5.0 would have been a great for a 2500, making it a truly in between truck.

This seems all to familiar with the new Ford Ranger. I seem them priced at or near F150 levels. And we wonder why these companies go bankrupt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I considered a 4BT swap for my '01 a few years back but gave that up when the ED was announced. there are kits that make a 2nd gen 4BT swap pretty straight-forward. A good build could get 400+ lbft of torque but 500 wasn't a realistic goal.

And I originally thought the 5.0L with the right tune could be a decent "economy" engine for the 2500, but then you end up in the same boat as the Titan XD. An expensive HD poser.

I would love to see Cummins build a 1/2 ton straight 6. A 1/2 scale 6.7L would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts