RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
It must be hard to control the nox/soot production on a smaller maxed out diesel then the big brother cummins/dmax/PS.. 3/4 ton and 1 ton falls under a different category for emissions in EPAs books.

So now all the big players are trying to find a sweet spot for both max fuel effeciency and power while trying not to cheat like VW.... Looks like some people will never understand that even a deleted vehicle nowdays is burning 10x cleaner then diesels of the 80s and 90s.. And the trend will continue...

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
4BT (2.8 liters) often referred to as Bread Truck engine was put in lots of small commercial box trucks like bread trucks Fed Ex package delivery trucks etc. Pretty reliable but hatefully slow and underpowered. As in always driven flat on the floor from stop to highway speed just to not be in the way of normal traffic flow. You can read about it on Cummins site. Rough running noisy and expensive. I’m sure it can be turned up for better power but there goes any warranty plus may require injectors turbo fuel pump etc to support the required air & fuel flow. Possibly tuning if available for whatever engine management comes with it to run it. GDE says it’s not something they would pick for in a pick up. It’s heavy not super fuel efficient and very dated technologically.

Captain if you can reliably (tuned) get 300 HP and 500 plus TQ out of a 3.0 (not our current turbo etc but 3.0 liters) is their reason to move to 4.0 liters or more and use more fuel? Again assuming that’s more than enough power for a half ton platform and reliable.
I have one in my Case 550 buldozer. That should be a hint. I also thought it was a 4 cyl version of the 6 cyl 5.9 litre Cummins in the early Dodge 3/4 ton trucks.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
4bt is a 3.9 liter, a 5.9 with two cylinders cut off. In stock form they are low power. Some arn’t turbo charged, many are not after cooled. They can be made to produce quite a bit of power.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Not shedding any tears here, that this was butt-hole ugly. Now, time for Cummins to get in bed with FCA and build a smaller diesel!
WAKE UP FCA!
they were, but then they went bankrupt. That 5.0 you see in the Nissan was slated for the Dodges, before they were just Rams before they went broke.

·
Super Moderator
2,993 Posts
The Ram 1500 5/8th ton with Cummins 5.0 would likely have failed worse than the Nissan. The vast majority of us would have just bought the 2500 6.7 or another 1500 gasser. Cummins would have to decide to build a ground up 3.0 ish like GM did. Cummins old 4BT would struggle to meet the trio of emissions, mileage, and power to compete. It was never designed with this in mind and I don’t see it happening.

Unlikely Cummins could sell it to FCA as they already own VM Motori. Ford nope they own the subsidiary that’s builds their 3.0. How about GM nope. Toyota not likely they have successful in house small diesels just not in America where the as of yet unbridled EPA makes certifying a diesel very unwelcoming and risky see how they burned VW for sneaking around the Gov and bringing a good product to the consumer. Would you bet your house on Nissan making a management & dealership chain turn around to figure out how to sell trucks in a pickup truck market place that has loyalties and serious competition.

On another note Nissan should have sold and marketed the crap out of that Cummins powered Warrior concept.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Decades of tractor experience with diesels has me liking a larger engine that is not stressed to higher RPM for power. Just keep feeling our little 3.0L engine operates at too high an rpm for a diesel. Seems Cummins could design something that has the power needed for a 1/2 ton pickup but a bit larger in size to give the engine a more "casual" operation.

The GM 3.0 seems to have a lower rpm operation than the Ecodiesel. There actually are a few more videos out there showing it at speed. Might be confusing myself with those of the Denso-based 6.6 Duramax, which is really low rpm operation. That Cummins V8 just seemed like it would be smaller parts and higher rpm because of design. I want larger parts and lower rpm with the feeling it will run and run and run and run some more.

·
Super Moderator
2,993 Posts
Cap What rpm is peak torque reached at in the new GM 3.0 inline 6? Whats peak torque reached at on the new 3.0 ED? And the 6.x trio? And for fun & perspective the 5.7 Hemi?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I owned an Ecodiesel for a VERY short period of time (about a month), it was a super nice Laramie Longhorn that I bought a week before the EPA lawsuit was announced. They gave me my money back, minus tax, and I ended up in another 1/2 silverado. It was a mistake on my part to trade it back in, I never really like being back in the gas truck.

Anyway, I bought a 2018 Titan / Cummins in January of this year. I really like the truck in most areas. I will say that it is VERY underrated on tow capacity. This truck is far more stable than a 1/2 towing but it is not good in the MPG category and is more difficult to turn, park, etc. It is extremely comfortable to ride in, the seats are excellent and the cab is very large. The same was true of my ecodiesel.

At the end of the day, I think Nissan was far too conservative in the Titan / Cummins ratings and it hurt them.

Now that Nissan announced that they have abandoned the cummins, it stinks for those of us with a slightly new truck. Resale wasn't the strongest before the announcement.

·
Registered
12,637 Posts
Cap What rpm is peak torque reached at in the new GM 3.0 inline 6? Whats peak torque reached at on the new 3.0 ED? And the 6.x trio? And for fun & perspective the 5.7 Hemi?
1,600 - 1,800 rpm???

Been out fishing all morning - limit of four giant gags and 8 others by 9 am - so tired and not going back to check on the multiple videos I have reviewed. Do seem to remember it is quite low. I do not know what the current or proposed Ecodiesel is for peak torque. Think it is in the mid to lower 2,000's . Guessing the gassers are peak torque in the 3,000 rpm range or maybe more with HP peaks over 4,000 rpm.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts