RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Ram Rebel ED about two months ago and the dealer just installed a brake control for me. I also asked to have a chord installed for my block heater. Surprise… they say there isn’t one and I don’t need it on these gen 3. I’m calling BS. This is southern MI (near Toledo) but we still have plenty of really cold nights and I’m not believing that. Has anyone installed one? Is there a port somewhere I can have it (heating element) added? I’m star,,ting to dislike this dealer- Yark in Toledo. They also told me any tune (GDE) and they would void my warranty.
Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
852 Posts
There is an available block heater (with cord), but you are better off factory ordering it. It can be added by the dealer (or yourself if you're willing/skilled).

The second gen engine came from the engine plant in Italy with the heater installed standard. If the truck was built at the factory with the cold cold weather package, all they added was the cord. If your truck didn't come with the cold weather package from the factory you could buy a cheap cord on amazon and install it easily.

The 3rd gen engine doesn't come from the engine plant with the heater installed. If the truck is built at the factory with the cold weather package, they install the heater in the block and add the cord. If the truck doesn't come with the cold weather package from the factory, there is no heater in the block and no cord. So if you add it after the fact it's more difficult cause you have to actually install the heater along with the cord.

Cummins is the same way, and it changed in 2020 IIRC. Just one more way FCA is pinching pennies.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like my dealer didn’t want to mess with it. As long as I can get it done somewhere I’ll find someone. They made it sound like it wasn’t even prepped to add the element.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I ordered my 2020 with the cold weather group, but the cord was shorter than what came in my 2015.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to get the element and cord installed at the dealer- I didnt want to deal with the mess of installing the element - $200 roughly for my 2022 Rebel. They stopped installing the elements unless you get the cold weather group.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm surprised the dealer didn't order the block heater option for $95 list. I bought my 2020 Limited in North Texas out of stock and it was an option the dealer had ordered. I'd consider going back to the salesman that sold you the truck and see if you can get a discount on installation. I'm guessing at todays labor rates, without any discount it would cost $300+. As others have suggested, you could do it yourself but you'll have to drain the coolant and that would get messy. Good Luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts