RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us that have been on this forum a while do you notice this? On the Third Generation (2020) Ecodiesel area there are no repeated posts with "drama". Same can be said on the 2500 / 3500 Cummins areas. "no drama" means no major failures, CEL's, dangerous failures, repeated mechanical issues etc.

Now I recognize that the 3rd Generation engines are new and few. Yet, back in early 2014 when the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel came out, we had drama with the DEF systems near immediately. All of us had trouble. That was quickly followed by major engine failures and replacements. Then multiple emission issues, GDE to fix it, more engine failures, oil change specifications, EGR issues, heating issues, AEM - drama from the start. Yet immediately the Gen 3 owners report nothing. The Cummins owners, from years back to the newest hydraulic engine models, report nothing. Sure there are reports of DEF usage, fuel mileage, the navigation screen gets lost, remote start doesn't. All that is nothing compared to serious failure issues of consequence.

For those operating forums, the Cummins and the Gen 3's are horrible. Few things to post about, little advertising interest and little incentive for forum owners that can profit form heavy forum usage reporting the drama. The Ecodiesel sure has been good for forum participation as the drama keeps coming and coming. Our Gen 3 and Cummins owners have little to discuss and little incentive to discuss it.

Sometimes you find good in the bad.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Facebook is taking over a lot of what forums used to. However you are correct, time will tell if the 3rd gen Eco is worth a darn, as cheap as gas is right now, diesel may not be worth the cost or headache to some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
745 Posts
For those of us that have been on this forum a while do you notice this? On the Third Generation (2020) Ecodiesel area there are no repeated posts with "drama". Same can be said on the 2500 / 3500 Cummins areas. "no drama" means no major failures, CEL's, dangerous failures, repeated mechanical issues etc.

Now I recognize that the 3rd Generation engines are new and few. Yet, back in early 2014 when the Ram 1500 Ecodiesel came out, we had drama with the DEF systems near immediately. All of us had trouble. That was quickly followed by major engine failures and replacements. Then multiple emission issues, GDE to fix it, more engine failures, oil change specifications, EGR issues, heating issues, AEM - drama from the start. Yet immediately the Gen 3 owners report nothing. The Cummins owners, from years back to the newest hydraulic engine models, report nothing. Sure there are reports of DEF usage, fuel mileage, the navigation screen gets lost, remote start doesn't. All that is nothing compared to serious failure issues of consequence.

For those operating forums, the Cummins and the Gen 3's are horrible. Few things to post about, little advertising interest and little incentive for forum owners that can profit form heavy forum usage reporting the drama. The Ecodiesel sure has been good for forum participation as the drama keeps coming and coming. Our Gen 3 and Cummins owners have little to discuss and little incentive to discuss it.

Sometimes you find good in the bad.
My only question is, would eco production have stopped in say 15 or 16 without gde? In the less than 2 years and 20k miles I've got with my 17, even though there havent been issues with it (yet), it's the worst truck I've owned due to the recall and fear of whatever else COULD happen, engine failure etc.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,218 Posts
I had Ecodiesel drama this morning. After delivering an Airstream (from Ohio) to the Sacramento area I picked up 5 boat trailers to take to Casper WY on my way home. 4 stacked on one with 17 tires on rims in the bed. Lol perfect snug fit no stacking required.

Anyway I came through Salt Lake early this morning then up and over Parleys. It’s a long winding grade to 6 percent up then winds back down. Load is 76 to 7,800 pounds. Well I like to hit it with a bit of speed and keep as much as I can as long as I can as by the time I crest the summit she will be pulled down to 50 mph. So I get toward the top still moving pretty good maybe 55 flat on the floor losing a little speed coming around a curve and a grey frost snowy residue covers the road. Yikes drama is ramped up all hands on deck. Fortunately no traction loss but I was thinking this could go bad. I just eased off the throttle a bit & push the 4 auto button.

I was glad I had on 4 new Michelin Defenders and a heavy bed load for traction. I’m thinking if the drive tires pulling that weight up and around the bend on the slick ish road well it wouldn’t have been good. You all might of read about VernDiesel on the news. Between the tongue bed & cab I probably had about 1500 pounds on the truck. Shortly I crested the summit and was glad to find clean road for the ride down.

Beyond that no drama. 267k on this motor 638k on the transmission & truck no warranty draging loads far from home. She runs like a top uses very little oil. I have AAA premier if when something breaks and it’s not cost effective to fix her I’ll buy another truck no biggie. The company I contract with can send somebody to finish the transport. A plane ticket will get me home or to wherever me the Internet & my phone can put together a deal on a truck. I mean Im not worried it will spontaneously combust. It could catch fire but I have an extinguisher so I could put it out or not. With EGR turned off a plugged intake aka fire starter is unlikely. My terrible concern right now is that I know I need to change my rear differential fluid because I checked it and it needs changed.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
My only question is, would eco production have stopped in say 15 or 16 without gde? In the less than 2 years and 20k miles I've got with my 17, even though there havent been issues with it (yet), it's the worst truck I've owned due to the recall and fear of whatever else COULD happen, engine failure etc.

That’s on you. Being ‘scared’ of what may happen is a terrible way to live.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That’s on you. Being ‘scared’ of what may happen is a terrible way to live.

I dont drive it enough now to care, really. My insurance company told me theyd cover it and go after FCA for the money.

·
Registered
13,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vern just brought up the "truckers' creed. Hours and hours of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts