RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my compressor gave up and left the driver side bumping on the frame with a payload warning. I've replaced all four shocks with arnotts brand, valve block and compressor. Checked for leaks best I could and none found. I brought it to the dealer to have the nitrogen charged and it's still says payload warning and will only go into off-road 1 on occasion and won't go into off-road 2, the reason it says is due to payload. The bed of the truck is empty...

Bad ride height sensors?
Bad ride module?
Arnott shocks don't work?
???

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like in order to program or recalibrate the ride height sensors you have to take measurements from the control arms in the front for example and then subtract that from the height of the center of the wheel. Then inputing that into alfaobd.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2015 ram 1500 crew cab 6.4 bed Laramie limited.
My tires are size 275/60/20 at 42 pounds front and rear. All wheels measure 15.5" from ground to center of spindle.

My measurements are
LF:rear arm bolt 12.5"-15.5=3", 76.2mm
FR:rear arm bolt 12.5"-15.5=3", 76.2mm
RR:front bolt 12.75"-15.5=2.75, 69.85mm
RL:front bolt 12.75"-15.5=2.75, 69.85mm

I just changed out the compressor, valve block and all four Arnott shocks. The trouble I'm having is that I can only occasionally get it to go into off-road 1 and never off-road 2 and am having a constant payload warning with an up and down arrow truck bed icon though the bed is empty and no trailer. Before the replacement I had a really bad leak and a failed compressor. I'm surprised how even the measurements are. Does anyone think the solution would be recalibrating the level sensors with AlfaOBD?

I do not have an ELM 327 but I do have a bafx dongle which works with torque but isn't connecting to alfaobd trial app.
I did order the obdlink MX+ and am waiting for it to arrive...
Anyone know the difference between obdlink mx+ and the cheap ELM 327?

· Registered
2022 RAM REBEL
121 Posts
I have used them both and for alpha it really doesn’t make a difference,
And use those millimeter readings that you have measured and go from there, take the time to level your truck if you wish.
I run a 22 rebel so I lowered my backend a little during normal ride height for leveling

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So when I get the dongle and the software I'll input what I have. I've seen other people same multiple times how they had to do this several times to dial it in right. My question is, how do the ride height sensors know how to adjust? Will they simply move one or two inches up from normal ride height when I set it? So let's see if I said it at my settings then the computer will use the ride height sensors to Simply move up 1 in for off-road one and two for off-road 2? It almost seems like the sensors themselves should be calibrated but maybe I'm overthinking it.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I input the measurements in millimeters into the ride height setting...
I tried everythig in the alfaobd menue on suspension module and nothing helped. It can be commanded via alpha obd into off road 2 and after doing so can be switched back and fourth from off road 1 to 2 a few times but then it goes back to selected ride height unavailable due to payload error. The component air mass / pressure / ride height readings diagnostic does not work it just doesn't do anything. Not sure if it's supposed to work? Anyway these offsets look bizarre to me.

Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Red

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine is stuck on payload warning can't get rid of it even if I clear the code. None of the heights will get rid of it for more than a few minutes... do you set it to normal ride height and write those into the fields? Am I doing something wrong?

· Premium Member
657 Posts
payload warning would be an offset issue. it knows the curb weight of the truck at "normal" ride height. so the truck must not be sitting within the like 1/2" tolerance of what is expected in normal mode. i've heard fixing the air suspension (from the dealer) is a nightmare and can take weeks.

check this out

here's a facebook group dedicated to it as well... and ripping it out.

· Registered
6,582 Posts
i've heard fixing the air suspension (from the dealer) is a nightmare and can take weeks.
I had a great experience when my dealer repaired my air suspension. They provided me with the sheets from the calibration checks after the new parts were installed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts