RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It does not seem to be possible to order any 4x4 diesel config with a premium bench seat. It's available on the 4x2s only. The heated leather bench is available at the Laramie level, but I'm more of an SLT/Outdoorsman person and not a fan of leather.

Has anyone been able to order diesel + 4x4 + crew + premium bench? If so which model/config did you choose.

My sales guy told me that the only 3 EcoDiesels they have on order have been pushed back to May delivery dates too, that's a bit of a bummer but possibly he's trying to sway me into something else sooner so he can get his commission.

Neil

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It's standard in the slt, and bighorn.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regular cloth is standard here (Canada), took one for a spin on the weekend. Premium is an $800 upgrade, plus another $500 for heated ...but only on non-diesel. I can't live with the regular cloth.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked online, the Big Horn also only comes with regular cloth standard in Canada. To see it you have to go through the exercise of selecting a gas model in which case you get the 'premium cloth bench' option, and then do it again for diesel and you'll see that it's not even an option.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Just checked online, the Big Horn also only comes with regular cloth standard in Canada. To see it you have to go through the exercise of selecting a gas model in which case you get the 'premium cloth bench' option, and then do it again for diesel and you'll see that it's not even an option.
I don't know about now, but 2 days ago the premium bench seat in the Big Horn 4x4 ED CC 5'7" bed was available in the US market.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Neizel,

See my comments on the Outdoorsman thread. Bench seats are not available on EDs (at least the (Outdoorsman) at the moment due to supply shortage. That's what the district sales rep told me directly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neizel,

See my comments on the Outdoorsman thread. Bench seats are not available on EDs (at least the (Outdoorsman) at the moment due to supply shortage. That's what the district sales rep told me directly.
Your thread was what prompted my thread :) thanks for posting that, I've been fighting with that one for a while, I was curious if anyone had any luck with that seat on any model, not just the Outdoorsman.

However I call complete BS on the excuse, it's readily available with any other engine, if it was a supply issue would it not apply to all models. Did they have to do something different to the seat just for the diesel? Maybe but I doubt it.

The other thing I noticed was I was not able to choose the 20's on the Outdoorsman with the diesel, only the 17's were available with the diesel ...messed up.

I really don't have a need for a diesel other than I just love turbo diesel engines, it's just a weekend vehicle for me so I may just go Pentastar, I took one for a spin and was really impressed with the engine/tranny combo (although it does sound s little anemic). In 4-5 years I may need to tow more frequently and I'm sure by that time the options will be completely different.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here's what I was told. I ordered a ED Laramie Crew 6'4" box. Ram rep said order was originally kicked out because of the premium cloth bench seat. The reason given was the weight of the seat exceeded the overall CAFE max weight for the truck. (Corporate Average Fuel Economy)
Changed to premium buckets at no charge thru my dealer, order scheduled for production.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Here's what I was told. I ordered a ED Laramie Crew 6'4" box. Ram rep said order was originally kicked out because of the premium cloth bench seat. The reason given was the weight of the seat exceeded the overall CAFE max weight for the truck. (Corporate Average Fuel Economy)
Changed to premium buckets at no charge thru my dealer, order scheduled for production.
So, there is now another (unpublished) weight limit tied into CAFE besides the GVWR? Interesting. However, your situation does not make sense because cloth seats are not an option on the Laramie. According to the Ram brochure only the Big Horn and Outdoorsman can have premium cloth bench seats; on those models the premium cloth bench seats add 53 lbs and the premium cloth bucket seats add 57 lbs, so an insignificant difference between premium bench and bucket.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bench Seat

I misstated, it's the Leather Trimmed bench seat that is standard on Laramie. Anyway, they changed it to buckets and computer took the order. The CAFE reason could be BS, but that's what they said the problem was.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I misstated, it's the Leather Trimmed bench seat that is standard on Laramie. Anyway, they changed it to buckets and computer took the order. The CAFE reason could be BS, but that's what they said the problem was.
On the Laramie, the bucket seats weigh 15 lbs more than the bench seats, so the CAFE explanation makes no sense. Also, the bucket seats cost $500 extra, so if you actually got them "at no charge" that would be amazing. Sounds like your salesman is not on top of things.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the Laramie, the bucket seats weigh 15 lbs more than the bench seats, so the CAFE explanation makes no sense. Also, the bucket seats cost $500 extra, so if you actually got them "at no charge" that would be amazing. Sounds like your salesman is not on top of things.
Maybe it's because you can now carry an extra passenger bumping the GVWR.

This is really frustrating, the premium cloth is a whole lot more than just premium fabrics, it's the fold flat floor, extra ports, power adjust-ability and lumbar (the lumbar I need, bad back). I considered going up to a Laramie because it lists it as available here but I'm betting it would get bounced after what I'm reading, also the Laramie with bench does not come with the fold flat storage.

It's ridiculous how complicated this has to be for a purchaser, the most fuel efficient truck can't have an extra few pounds in the front? It rubs me the wrong way. The one time I'm willing to spend big bucks on a new vehicle and I have to compromise!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts