RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So according to the ram web site, the will not be putting the Eco diesel in the short bed, regular cab Tradesmen or SLT. If you to "build" a Big Horn reg/short, there isn't an option for the engine. So as far as I understand, that combination isn't an option, and if that's the case, I have no interest in buying one.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I can only come up with a few reasons why. Not enough room or the exhaust/dpf system? Not enough room for a DEF tank?? But, there has to be something. The JGC with the diesel has the battery in the back somewhere to make room!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very interesting. What is your source for this info? As far as I found the wheelbase for a reg/shrt is 120in, and the wheelbase for a 2014 Durango is 119.8in and i believe they are putting that engine in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting. What is your source for this info? As far as I found the wheelbase for a reg/shrt is 120in, and the wheelbase for a 2014 Durango is 119.8in and i believe they are putting that engine in it.
Correction, said Durango, I should have said Jeep Cherokee. Its wheelbase is 114.8in according to an article by Car and Driver, even shorter.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll have to find it again it was a crysler/ram article. Maybe not the wheel base itself but some kind of measurement.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Correction, said Durango, I should have said Jeep Cherokee. Its wheelbase is 114.8in according to an article by Car and Driver, even shorter.
The Grand Cherokee differs from the Ram in many ways including its unibody design, so comparing wheelbases is off-point. I read somewhere that the Ram diesel was designed for the long-wheelbase models because of the emissions system, so if you want a standard cab it would have to be with an 8-ft box. For other reasons the diesel won't be available in Sport of HFE models. I also heard that initial production will be confined to the more popular models such as the Laramie.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The Grand Cherokee differs from the Ram in many ways including its unibody design, so comparing wheelbases is off-point. I read somewhere that the Ram diesel was designed for the long-wheelbase models because of the emissions system, so if you want a standard cab it would have to be with an 8-ft box. For other reasons the diesel won't be available in Sport of HFE models. I also heard that initial production will be confined to the more popular models such as the Laramie.
I better be able to order an Outdoorsman with the VM!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I better be able to order an Outdoorsman with the VM!
Same here.

I am a rancher that has the need to tow about 7000 lbs a few times per year on a 10 mile loop as I move livestock from one ranch to the other.

I have been considering the Outdoorsman in a 4x4 QC config with air suspension and a 3.92 rear end.

From what you folks know and have read, do you think a tow rating of 7000 lbs is doable in that above config?

I wonder what the tow rating is going to be for the Outdoorsman as it weighs less than the Laramie which has been used in most of the published test in the media.

The 2500 is overkill for my needs, but if the towing fuel economy was better, I would snap one up today. I am currently, getting 13.5 towing 5000 lbs. in a rented 2013 2500 SLT with the Cummins 6.2 TD.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Same here.

I am a rancher that has the need to tow about 7000 lbs a few times per year on a 10 mile loop as I move livestock from one ranch to the other.

I have been considering the Outdoorsman in a 4x4 QC config with air suspension and a 3.92 rear end.

From what you folks know and have read, do you think a tow rating of 7000 lbs is doable in that above config?

I wonder what the tow rating is going to be for the Outdoorsman as it weighs less than the Laramie which has been used in most of the published test in the media.

The 2500 is overkill for my needs, but if the towing fuel economy was better, I would snap one up today. I am currently, getting 13.5 towing 5000 lbs. in a rented 2013 2500 SLT with the Cummins 6.2 TD.
The Outdoorsman QC 4x4 EcoDiesel with 6'4" box has a tow rating of 7750 lbs with 3.55 axle and 8750 with 3.92 axle. With a RamBox the ratings drop by 150 lbs as will be similar with other heavy options. The Laramie QC 4x4 diesel with 6'4" box has a tow rating of 6900 lbs with 3.55 axle and 8600 with 3.92 axle. This is according to the 2014 Towing Charts.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The Outdoorsman QC 4x4 EcoDiesel with 6'4" box has a tow rating of 7750 lbs with 3.55 axle and 8750 with 3.92 axle. With a RamBox the ratings drop by 150 lbs as will be similar with other heavy options. The Laramie QC 4x4 diesel with 6'4" box has a tow rating of 6900 lbs with 3.55 axle and 8600 with 3.92 axle. This is according to the 2014 Towing Charts.
Bigfoot.

Can you post a link to the 2014 Towing charts you found that references the 3.0 l diesel?

I found a towing chart for the gas engines at:

Ram Trucks Towing Guide

I have not been able to find a tow chart for the 3.0 diesel in the 1500.

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Bigfoot.

Can you post a link to the 2014 Towing charts you found that references the 3.0 l diesel?

I found a towing chart for the gas engines at:

Ram Trucks Towing Guide

I have not been able to find a tow chart for the 3.0 diesel in the 1500.

Thanks

Jeff
I can't upload the file to the forum because of size limits but you can download it from the Chrysler Media website under Product Specifications to the right. Some other useful documents there, too.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sheepdog, the Cummins is a 6.7. I had a 2006 5.9, great motor...
Yes it is a 6.7. Thank you. I had written it was a 6.2.

LCR

Thanks for posting those links. That was a big help to me. I did not know those docs where in print.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts