RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2015 Ram 1500 diesel with under 80k miles.

As I was coming off of an off ramp my Truck died under hard acceleration and wouldn't start.

I took it to a local dealer. They called me in after 2 days and told me my fuel was contaminated and not green but light orange. I looked at the bottle they showed me and it looked and smelled fine.
They recommended a complete fuel service for 1k dollars saying they needed to drop the tank and put new filters in it. After telling them that I Need some sort of guarantee that this will start my truck the manager said that if it doesn't he will cover the time to figure out what the problem is.

So they did the fuel service and the truck is still not starting. They called me back in and said that they are getting fuel at the rail but when they go to start there is no fuel (pressure) in motor so they need to replace both fuel rails and all 6 injectors ($3,500 more dollars). They say it starts with spray but not with the fuel rail.

(my battery had died so no codes)

I don't think all 6 injectors will fail at the same time and both rails. This just seems like a impossibility. After looking at other threads I'm thinking it could be the crank shaft sensor ring? Is there a way to test this without pulling the trans out? I don't have the 4500 that the dealer wants for all this and I know that they are guessing on my dime.

or can i send my fuel out for testing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,354 Posts
Something is not adding up. Not sure why they have to drop the tank to change any filters. They would be able to test the supply pressure from the lift pump. If all 6 injectors puked at the same time, the HPFP should be looked at closer as it may have failed. If the HPFP did grenade itself and take out the injectors, the fuel system needs to be cleaned or it could happen again.
The dealer should be able to see if the crank sensor is working correctly and sending the signal to the ECM.
There should be no reason why the dealer wouldn't let you pull a fuel sample and have it tested.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Take it elsewhere for a second opinion. Make sure that the second place has a well trained and capable ED tech to look at it instead of maybe some Hemi tech trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm pretty convinced they have no clue what happened. It takes air plus fuel under pressure plus electricity to heat glow plugs and turn the starter.

The color of the fuel is dye and it's definitely not gas. How far had you traveled after filling up?

Given that it's death was sudden after operating correctly, What are the fuel pressures before and after the fuel pump and HPFP?

Moving it is always an option. So what diesel training are they certified in?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Sounds like a typical fca dealership absolutely clueless. What likely actually happened is your reluctor wheel for the crank sensor failed its not uncommon. Dont let them them screw you on fuel issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something is not adding up. Not sure why they have to drop the tank to change any filters. They would be able to test the supply pressure from the lift pump. If all 6 injectors puked at the same time, the HPFP should be looked at closer as it may have failed. If the HPFP did grenade itself and take out the injectors, the fuel system needs to be cleaned or it could happen again.
The dealer should be able to see if the crank sensor is working correctly and sending the signal to the ECM.
There should be no reason why the dealer wouldn't let you pull a fuel sample and have it tested.
The dealer did pull a fuel sample but said "Its to expensive to test" Where would i be able to test diesel fuel? And what kind of test?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Take it elsewhere for a second opinion. Make sure that the second place has a well trained and capable ED tech to look at it instead of maybe some Hemi tech trying to figure it out.

any experience on getting a dealership dropping the bill for something they did that wasn't supposed to be done?

I'm pretty convinced they have no clue what happened. It takes air plus fuel under pressure plus electricity to heat glow plugs and turn the starter.

The color of the fuel is dye and it's definitely not gas. How far had you traveled after filling up?

Given that it's death was sudden after operating correctly, What are the fuel pressures before and after the fuel pump and HPFP?

Moving it is always an option. So what diesel training are they certified in?
The tech that came out when I was there looked like he was maybe 22. I doubt they have training. Its a big franchise dealership here in Orlando FL.
Sounds like a typical fca dealership absolutely clueless. What likely actually happened is your reluctor wheel for the crank sensor failed its not uncommon. Dont let them them screw you on fuel issues.
You think I could leave there with just paying the diagnostic fee?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Since they didn’t diagnose anything there just making some false guesses you should be able to leave without paying anything. Especially since the repair should fall under powertrain but there trying to screw you with a out of pocket misdiagnosis.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At the risk of side tracking this conversation, I ask a question: Can you imagine this kind of conversation on a Toyota Tundra owners interest group? Major failures? Dealer has no idea what to do the fix the problem? My sense is, and this is backed up by Consumers Report, that the Tundra is bulletproof.

What is it about the FCA Ecodiesel that we even have these conversations? Why should we have to become conversant in such sentences as this fromBrokedownbutgood "What likely actually happened is your reluctor wheel for the crank sensor failed its not uncommon." God bless him for trying to help, but what the hell is a reluctor wheel and why do I need to know about it?

I have a 2017 ED with just shy of 16,000 miles. My check engine light went on recently and the problem relates to re-gen. The service writer told me that since a lot of my driving in in town, I needed to get my truck on the interstate once a week and drive it at 80 miles per hour for 40 minutes. WTF!!! With diesel fuel prices now a full $1.00 per gallon more than regular gasoline at a nearby Love's truck stop, any hope of doing better with diesel is a joke, especially if the diesel engine has problems that I have ever had with a Silverado 5.3L engine.

I love the fuel mileage on my ED, both unladen and also laden with a 5,000 lb. travel trailer. I love the overall comfort of the truck. But this is the third check engine light issue in the 12 months I have owned the truck. I sometimes wonder if I have made a mistake.

Apologies to signalpuke. At least my truck starts. Hope someone with real answers can help him.

ar

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
At the risk of side tracking this conversation, I ask a question: Can you imagine this kind of conversation on a Toyota Tundra owners interest group? Major failures? Dealer has no idea what to do the fix the problem? My sense is, and this is backed up by Consumers Report, that the Tundra is bulletproof.

What is it about the FCA Ecodiesel that we even have these conversations? Why should we have to become conversant in such sentences as this fromBrokedownbutgood "What likely actually happened is your reluctor wheel for the crank sensor failed its not uncommon." God bless him for trying to help, but what the hell is a reluctor wheel and why do I need to know about it?

I have a 2017 ED with just shy of 16,000 miles. My check engine light went on recently and the problem relates to re-gen. The service writer told me that since a lot of my driving in in town, I needed to get my truck on the interstate once a week and drive it at 80 miles per hour for 40 minutes. WTF!!! With diesel fuel prices now a full $1.00 per gallon more than regular gasoline at a nearby Love's truck stop, any hope of doing better with diesel is a joke, especially if the diesel engine has problems that I have ever had with a Silverado 5.3L engine.

I love the fuel mileage on my ED, both unladen and also laden with a 5,000 lb. travel trailer. I love the overall comfort of the truck. But this is the third check engine light issue in the 12 months I have owned the truck. I sometimes wonder if I have made a mistake.

Apologies to signalpuke. At least my truck starts. Hope someone with real answers can help him.

ar
So buy the GDE tune with the engine brake option. Seems to reduce those CELs by 90% (my guess) and provides the programming that SHOULD have been installed by FCA. Yes $900 to update something that the factory SHOULD HAVE DONE is horse hockey to pay a 3rd party after the purchase however it's needed IMO.

ZERO ghost CELs in 3,807 hours and have never cared about regen cycles...turn it off and walk away...never an issue in the first 165,352 miles...

·
Registered
716 Posts

ar
Toyota dealers can also suck! Had a bad motor in a Tacoma once. Had to fight tooth and nail to get it fixed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts